Dead Period Question

reddevil1

All right, I have a question for all of your TSSAA rules experts. This morning, as I usually do, I went out for a morning walk at 6:30 am, and finished by picking up my Knoxville paper. When I finally got to the sports section, much to my surprise there was a picture of two Alcoa football players standing in the weight room. Reading the underline of the picture it stated, "Alcoa High School teammates... pose in the school's weight room TUESDAY.

My questionis this, if this is the so-called dead period, how can two athletes be in the weight room posing for pictures? It has been told to me by the coaches in my community, look at my moniker, that all athletic facilities must be closed for two straight weeks, including the week before July 4 and the wekk of July 4. I have other questions that go along with the above question: 1) Who let them in the weight room, 2) How did the News Sentinel get there phone numbers to set up the photo shoot?

Last but not least, Dave Hooker, who was the writer of the article, which was good, needs to know this, Alcoa is not the defending 3A State Champ (Fulton is aiming for a 3-peat), but they are the defending 2A state champions.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is typical of the News Sentinel as far as printing incorrect information. They do it on a regular basis. This is why IMO it is one of the worst newspapers in the country. Most of the information that they are incorrect on is usually the obvious. It would seem that if a person when to the trouble to write a story about someone that would at least get the facts correct. It, of course, could have been a typo and then the question would be where is the proof reader and why are they not doing a better job. Maybe with the computer age, proof reader no longer exist.

reddevil1, you do raise an interesting point about the dead period. I actually had the same thought as I was reading the article. Things that make us go Hmm.

papatj,

I thought I was the only idiot in the world that saw a potential red flag alert when I read the article. Now many who do not live in the E. Tenn. area don't know what in the world we are talking about, but the Sentinel must be the worst ever on reporting factual information.

They never give great coverage to HS athltes. They do cover the Big Orange, especially when a UT athlete does something wrong, but they never give credit to the coaches, they only blast them.

Back to the subject - wonder what will happen if this gets to the TSSAA. Little I would imagine. Now who is to say that when this photo shoot was made, those players didn't do a little workout. On top of that, wonder if Alcoa's coach, his name escapes me now, attended the interview-photo shoot. Isn't he supposed to not have contact with his players during the "dead period"?

Maybe he just gave them the key to the weight room for the session. No wait, that wuld venture into lakc of supervisory conduct.

Somebody from Alcoa, clue us in, p l e a s e.

reddevil1,

Glad that I finally found someone in the same club as myself. As Bill Ingval on the Blue Collar comedy tour would say, "Here's your sign".

As far as the article on Alcoa is concerned, for their sake, let's hope that once again the facts of the article are incorrect. Maybe, the Tuesday that was metioned was Tuesday a couple of weeks ago. Until we get the facts, let give them the benefit of the doubt. I agree totally about the lack of coverage of HS Athletics and the over coverage of the VOOOLS. Of course, they are in the business of selling papers and there are literally thousands that get up every am just to read what is in the paper about TN sports and nothing else. By the way, I believe the Alcoa coach is John Reid. I could be wrong on this, considering how often coaches move around these days.

Guest rip25

They are illegal, you can't be on the grounds, especially on the grounds with weights, and you can't have contact with coaches, like someone said, who let them in?

They are illegal, you can't be on the grounds, especially on the grounds with weights, and you can't have contact with coaches, like someone said, who let them in?

825697749[/snapback]

That's not true. Student/athletes can be on school property, but they can't be supervised by coaches. There is no rule that disallows the kids working out on their own.

That's not true.  Student/athletes can be on school property, but they can't be supervised by coaches.  There is no rule that disallows the kids working out on their own.

825697757[/snapback]

This is true,you other guys need to read and understand the rules ,before running off at the mouth.

Guest rip25

You can work out on your own, but not on school grounds, besides who opened the weight room. Most schools keep there weight rooms locked and not many janitors are willing to unlock them, it is usually the coach and coaches can't have contact, plus who set up the oppontment between the News Sentinel and the boys, typically high school coaches don't allow the media and their players to set up oppontments between themselves. Again there is to be no contact between players and coaches.

htv,

My friend you are wrong. All athletic facilities must be closed for use by any high school aged student/athletes. Now you can have athletes on your campus and you can work with them, but they can't be in grades 9-12 for the 2005-2006 school year.

The rule says all indoor athletic facilities must be closed. The kids can run on the fields, tracks,etc., but they cannot be supervised by anyone connected with the school. I asked this question just minutes ago: can you take your weights outside and the kids come and lift weights outside (weather permitting of course)?

The answer was yes you can. My next question was, who supervise's the workouts? A parent, but no coach.

If you don't believe me then call TSSAA 615- 889-7640.