No Sports for Jackson-Madison County Schools?

cofo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Solomon, it has already happened somewhere.  After watching "Coach Carter" and all of the extra material on the DVD, I researched a claim that was make in a personal interview with the real Coach Carter.  Richmond, CA schools, as of last year, have dropped all school sports in the name of budget cuts!  Now, not saying that every school doesn't need these programs to keep young people on track and interested, but school systems in areas like Richmond, CA where the average student's family lives well below the poverty line, it is absolutely necessary to have these programs.  There are too many ugly alternatives for young people in these neighborhoods.

Just a thought.

825702155[/snapback]

Did not know that coach. Really need to see that movie anyway, may do it this weekend.

I've tried to read as much as I could the past 12 hours, and I've not seen an overall budget for JMC. I noticed they had put $2.5M from debt reduction to the schools to offset part of it in one article, but is there anyway that the money can be swapped from different departments to fund schools? Every article I read has had a "Doomsday" scnerio to it, but I can't find if any other ideas had been thrown on the table or not besides a tax increase or nothing.

Did not know that coach.  Really need to see that movie anyway, may do it this weekend.

I've tried to read as much as I could the past 12 hours, and I've not seen an overall budget for JMC.  I noticed they had put $2.5M from debt reduction to the schools to offset part of it in one article, but is there anyway that the money can be swapped from different departments to fund schools?  Every article I read has had a "Doomsday" scnerio to it, but I can't find if any other ideas had been thrown on the table or not besides a tax increase or nothing.

825702226[/snapback]

It is a really good movie! Not just the sports part of it, but the message it sends. I don't know for sure about the money swap you were asking about. I haven't dealt with Gov't $$, but I'm sure they could do something if they wanted to. Maybe there are some city, county, state gov't employees on here that might know the true answer.

I was talking to a coworker here in VA that is originally from Buffalo, NY. He told me they went through the same thing there last season, and some school systems did drop athletics. I hope that doesn't happen in Jackson. It would be a terrible mistake!

I look for a Wheel Tax to be passed that will fund 50% of the $8.2 million shortfall. The school system will be forced to make things work with a $4.1 Million increase from last year's Budget and low and behold everything will work out.

It is very likely that the tax increase (in whatever form) will also be enough to pay for a badly needed County Jail Expansion but the Public will never know that the Jail Expansion Funding is part of the deal.

It really does NOT matter which party, they are just two sides of the same coin. Neither of them consider it 'our' money, they consider it a 'loan' to the peons to be collected in some way again.

Military has a word for it, BOHICA! For those who have not had the privledge of being in the military it means, "Bend Over, Here It Comes Again"!

Anyone remember when schools only had one or two film projectors and they were shared? Now go to the schools and count how many TV's and VCR's and DVD players there are. :blink:

As it currently stands, booster clubs could not pay the salaries of coaches.  Nor could they be paid from the individual sports school account.  Folks, this is dead serious.  The republicans on the county commission are pure evil and in my opinion, very anti public shcools.  It will also apparantly be illegal for the coaches to coach for free as well. 

Almost 200 jobs are on the line.  The showdown is Monday at Liberty.  The meeting begins at 6pm.  Better get there at least one hour early to even get a seat.  This could prove to be a very rowdy meeting.

825702045[/snapback]

You are absolutely dead-on correct Reitz...I coach in the JMC system (2 middle school minor sports) and will lose about $3800 in salary. The supplements are paid by the school board and not the booster clubs or the individual schools. Even though I have offered to coach the teams without a supplement, I've already been told I can't because of legal reasons. God Bless Roy Weaver...he's fighting for the kids.......

Edited by cofo

You are absolutely dead-on correct Reitz...I coach in the JMC system (2 middle school minor sports) and will lose about $3800 in salary. The supplements are paid by the school board and not the booster clubs or the individual schools. Even though I have offered to coach the teams without a supplement, I've already been told I can't because of legal reasons. God Bless Roy Weaver...he's fighting for the kids.......

825702910[/snapback]

I'm no legal maven, but if the TSSAA says a non-faculty can be a HC with 5 years exp...then what legal reason is there to deny a school employee the right to coach a team...without pay? Does that mean there is a "legal" reason to deny faculty volunteers? Sounds like more malarky to stir up the passions of the populace to get more tax money....or some rule invented to insure the death of madison athletics, and the explosive growth of the privates...de facto segregation anyone?

I'm no legal maven, but if the TSSAA says a non-faculty can be a HC with 5 years exp...then what legal reason is there to deny a school employee the right to coach a team...without pay? Does that mean there is a "legal" reason to deny faculty volunteers? Sounds like more malarky to stir up the passions of the populace to get more tax money....or some rule invented to insure the death of madison athletics, and the explosive growth of the privates...de facto segregation anyone?

825703048[/snapback]

The TSSAA says you can volunteer to coach a minor sport. Not football. Also coaches would be teaching full periods with no plan and no supplement. This is not a TSSAA ruling but a school law rule.

The TSSAA says you can volunteer to coach a minor sport. Not football.  Also coaches would be teaching full periods with no plan and no supplement.  This is not a TSSAA ruling but a school law rule.

825703051[/snapback]

Not actually...Even football is allowed 2 volunteer assistants who do not count against the school after 3 years...Any volunteer that is a volunteer for 5 years can head up a minor sport..Any retired teacher can be a head football coach...THe last is a Sacs accredidation issue...Teachers must have a planning period, most schools, by contract, must pay a teacher 1/6th (or 1/4th) of there salary to give up the planning period.

When I taught in Jackson, it was understood that coaches willingly gave up there planning period to do an athletic period...we has a faculty member who wasn't a supplement earning coach "volunteer" in this regard.

825703048[/snapback]

And I thought I disliked USJ :lol: