Byrnes vs MBA

Rebels93

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent program year in and year out. Although there will be arguments as to who has the top program in the state, I think everyone will agree that MBA is a top 5 program over the last 5 years. Well coached by former Alabama QB Jeff Rutledge. They lost some good lineman from last year but MBA merely reloads each year. Offensively they were not as strong last year as in years past and that might be true this year.

They play in the state's private school division (Tennessee has a screwed up system under which public schools and private schools participate in separate divisions but that is for another board) and they lost in the semis last year. They won the state in 2003 and 202 (I think).

I am sure rollredroll, RedTwin or BigRedDog can add beef to these comments.

Edited by Chattcity

As a longtime BA alum and fan I have the utmost respect for the MBA program. They have consistently had the best football program in Tennessee since 1995 while claiming state championships in 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2003 with 3 of those games being very impressive victories. This year they will be a favorite to win the Division II-AAA state title and have possibly the best team in Tennessee. Although Byrnes may have an excellent team I suspect superior MBA coaching and discipline will prevail in a hotly contested game.

Rebels93,

I'll do my best to give you some info, but I am somewhat out of the loop lately.

Offensively, like Byrnes, we have a junior QB, David Howe, returning who started every game last year. A year of experience and time in the weight room will undoubtably help him greatly. While, impressive, his inexperience showed, at times last year. At running back, Andy Snyder looks to have a big year after an injury plagged season a year ago. Also, McGavock Johnson, who played alot last year, will be looked to in the running game. Fullback is a question mark, but they will possibly use tight end, Drew Carney, in that role or as an H-back type. At receiver, I have no idea who will start. On the line, we lost alot of big boys, but look for Billy Billington, Allen Riley, and Rascoe Dean to lead up front.

Defense has typically been MBA's strongest area, in my opinion. This year should be no different. They have traditionally run a 50 defense, but over the past few years it has changed significantly with alot more sophisticated stunting and blitzing schemes. On the D-line, look for Michael Swett and Will Fitzgerald to step up. Other than that, I don't know. They are, perhaps, deepest at linebacker/defensive end. Parker Prevost and Luke Brown lead there. In the Defensive backfield, I'm really not sure. They were very young back there last year and it showed at times. They will have to step up big time when Byrnes comes to town.

In general, expect a very smart and disciplined MBA team. The coaching staff is second to none and will have the boys prepared. They will not beat themselves. They are not always(if ever) the most athletic team on the field, but I have seen few teams recently in better physical condition than they. Also expect to get hit.

Good luck to Byrnes. All of us in MBA land are looking forward to it.

Rebels93,

I'll do my best to give you some info, but I am somewhat out of the loop lately. 

Offensively, like Byrnes, we have a junior QB, David Howe, returning who started every game last year.  A year of experience and time in the weight room will undoubtably help him greatly.  While, impressive, his inexperience showed, at times last year.  At running back, Andy Snyder looks to have a big year after an injury plagged season a year ago.  Also, McGavock Johnson, who played alot last year, will be looked to in the running game.  Fullback is a question mark, but they will possibly use tight end, Drew Carney, in that role or as an H-back type.  At receiver, I have no idea who will start.  On the line, we lost alot of big boys, but look for Billy Billington, Allen Riley, and Rascoe Dean to lead up front.

Defense has typically been MBA's strongest area, in my opinion.  This year should be no different.  They have traditionally run a 50 defense, but over the past few years it has changed significantly with alot more sophisticated stunting and blitzing schemes.  On the D-line, look for Michael Swett and Will Fitzgerald to step up.  Other than that, I don't know.  They are, perhaps, deepest at linebacker/defensive end.  Parker Prevost and Luke Brown lead there.  In the Defensive backfield, I'm really not sure.  They were very young back there last year and it showed at times.  They will have to step up big time when Byrnes comes to town.

In general, expect a very smart and disciplined MBA team.  The coaching staff is second to none and will have the boys prepared.  They will not beat themselves.  They are not always(if ever) the most athletic team on the field, but I have seen few teams recently in better physical condition than they.  Also expect to get hit. 

Good luck to Byrnes.  All of us in MBA land are looking forward to it.

825700133[/snapback]

I saw where Byrnes is playing in a 7 v 7 tournament at Hoover July 21-23. Teams include Hoover, Evangel Shreveport, Springdale (Ark), Niceville (FLA), and MUS amongst others.