Best Classification

WesVLT

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

My contention is that because you have just eight teams in DII, and you don't have to win as many games to qualify for a playoff, nor do you have to even play as many games to be a champion, it can't be as competitive as having to win more games (as D1). I contend that in the D1 playoff format, where you play teams you more than likely haven't faced all year, potentially have to go back and play someone you know, then face two more teams you've never seen-all of whom have gone through the same process-makes it a more competitive situation.

If I haven't clarified my argument, I beg forgiveness for a very long day.

825700669[/snapback]

I'm clear now on what direction you were headed. No forgiveness needed.

So, going back to my last post, are you saying that DI-5A is no more competitive than DI-1A? It sounds as if you are saying "yes".

Of course, the semantics of this issue probably deviates from the spirit of the thread, determining which classification is "best" (and not necessarily which is most competitive). Assuming "best" entails actual on-the-field results, DII-AAA has had the upper hand on the field. By my rough count, DII-AAA is 45-20 (.692) versus DI-5A and 37-6 (.860) versus DI-4A since 1997. Additionally, I count at least three DI-5A or DI-4A champions since 1997 that have suffered their only losses of that championship season versus non-champs from DII-AAA (Pearl-Cohn 1997, Brentwood 2002, Germantown 2003); plus, all eight DII-AAA champions swept their DI opponents in their championship years.

Whether that makes DII-AAA the "best" or not is subject to debate; I'm just presenting the data. Of course, I wouldn't expect the voting in this poll to be made along the lines of hard data.

Edited by rollredroll

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm clear now on what direction you were headed.  No forgiveness needed.

So, going back to my last post, are you saying that DI-5A is no more competitive than DI-1A? It sounds as if you are saying "yes".

Of course, the semantics of this issue probably deviates from the spirit of the thread, determining which classification is "best" (and not necessarily which is most competitive).  Assuming "best" entails actual on-the-field results, DII-AAA has had the upper hand on the field.  By my rough count, DII-AAA is 45-20 (.692) versus DI-5A and 37-6 (.860) versus DI-4A since 1997.  Additionally, I count at least three DI-5A or DI-4A champions since 1997 that have suffered their only losses of that championship season versus non-champs from DII-AAA (Pearl-Cohn 1997, Brentwood 2002, Germantown 2003); plus, all eight DII-AAA champions swept their DI opponents in their championship years.

Whether that makes DII-AAA the "best" or not is subject to debate; I'm just presenting the data.  Of course, I wouldn't expect the voting in this poll to be made along the lines of hard data.

825700688[/snapback]

So...why can a school the size of BA compete with the likes of Riverdale...Oak Ridge...Germantown and the other top 5a schools year in and year out?

So...why can a school the size of BA compete with the likes of Riverdale...Oak Ridge...Germantown and the other top 5a schools year in and year out?

825700695[/snapback]

The answer to that question brings this topic into Public/Private Debate territory.

I voted based on the question at hand and didn't put any qualifiers on the poll topic.

Well, I'll admit I wasn't around for last year's scrimmage, but I don't recall many Riverdale "victories" in as many year's as they've been scrimmaging. The 2003 scrimmage was as lopsided, if not more so, in the other direction.

825701331[/snapback]

Here is a link to last year's thread on the subject.

http://boards.coacht.com/index.php?showtopic=75047&hl=

So, through July 16, DII-3A trails DI-5A and DI-4A, and the remaining three DI classes are ahead of DII-2A and DII-1A.

Someone tell me again why there was a split in 1997?  ;)

825701864[/snapback]

Because a school with 300 students was competing and consistently winning against schools with 2000. That's the main reason why. :lol:

Because a school with 300 students was competing and consistently winning against schools with 2000. That's the main reason why.    :lol:

825701918[/snapback]

But why separate a school like that (and the other DII schools) if those teams aren't perceived "better"? ;)

Come on, Antwan, I know why the split occurred. And I also know that some people who have voted in this poll have voted with their hearts and not their minds. I was only pointing out the irony in the vote.