Region 5 5A Newcomers

Gtowner

As you all know by now, this season's new region and classification alignment has brought two new teams up from 4A to Region 5-5A. The John Overton Bobcats had a mildly impressive season last year finishing with an 8-4 record. The highlights of thier season consisted of knocking off speedy 5A Hunters Lane in week one and holding 4A powerhouse White House to only 14 pts in the playoffs. The Hillwood Hilltoppers had an astonishing 12-1 season last year and finsihed the reagular season without losing a single game. They had impressive wins over several talented opponents including the ever popular Hillsboro Boros. They also had 6 wins in which they scored more than 40 pts. Do you all think that they will be able to hang in with the already existing teams that have proven themselves in 5A such as Gallatin, Hendersonville, Antioch, and Hunters Lane

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only believe that each of these two teams will play the hardest that they can. The question really is do they have the depth to stay with the upper teams of the region. Having 8-12 really good players will not cut it in 5A. You have to have 2nd string players who could start for you to be successful. I know that both of these teams will bring thier A game against everyone they play. I expect them to upset teams that aren't prepared for a fight. Gallatin goes to both teams this year week 2 against Hillwood and week 7 vs Overton. I hope we are ready for them.

I can only believe that each of these two teams will play the hardest that they can.  The question really is do they have the depth to stay with the upper teams of the region.  Having 8-12 really good players will not cut it in 5A.  You have to have 2nd string players who could start for you to be successful.  I know that both of these teams will bring thier A game against everyone they play.  I expect them to upset teams that aren't prepared for a fight.  Gallatin goes to both teams this year week 2 against Hillwood and week 7 vs Overton.  I hope we are ready for them.

825702007[/snapback]

Well put Wave88. I think that is going to be the case for all of the 4A teams moving up to 5A this year. Depth will certainly play a key role.

I know the toppers are looking towards this new challenge. There seems to be a little more intensity in the summer program than in years past. I agree with what has been said previously. The real question will be depth. I think the toppers have the starting talent to compete. The good thing about the blow outs last year is everybody on the team got a ton of playing time. Hopefully this will work to our advantage. If we can stay healthy and some younger players step up, we could be fighting for a playoff spot. If we dont stay healthy or younger players dont step up.....it could be a long season.

Gtowner & Gallatin fans et al. This is a little off the topic here but long overdue. I have great respect for Gallatin football, great tradition, great fans, great program. My problem is with the lack of respect that you show to other schools. On this thread you have mentioned each school in your region with the exception of Mcgavock. I know that they have been a long running joke in football, in the past. All of that was PB (prior to Broom). Mcgavock destroyed Gallatin last year 34-27 (2 late Wave TD made score closer than the game actually was). Mcgavock is the defending champion in this region!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gallatin made some nice t shirts,something about revenge for Shipley, They were going to beat Mcgavock as bad as they possibly could. Lassiter refused to trade film with the Mcgavock staff. all of that blew up in your face. You got whipped. I will sit back and listen to you pump your egos up all year,I will talk to after the Raider Nation invades Gtown week 10. (oh wait the raider nation is a metro school --no gate for you. sorry). Overton and Hillwood welcome to the party. You will find that this is a competitive region, looking to find a way past williamson co. come playoff time. Hunters Lane has a great QB, Antioch has Preston Brown, Hendersonville has a great back (sorry name escapes me), and Mcgavock has the region MVP returning in Carter, Glencliff has their QB back and should be improved, Gallatin has some skill people back but oline is unproven, The word on the new arrivals is that Hillwood lost several players and could struggle early, Overton has some decent LBs but soft up front and no proven QB or RB. Should make for a very competitive region once again. I wont bore you with my predictions at this time, but Overton, Hillwood, Antioch and Gallatin could be playin hoops come week 11.

Gtowner & Gallatin fans et al. This is a little off the topic here but long overdue. I have great respect for Gallatin football, great tradition, great fans, great program. My problem is with the lack of respect that you show to other schools. On this thread you have mentioned each school in your region with the exception of Mcgavock. I know that they have been a long running joke in football, in the past. All of that was PB (prior to Broom). Mcgavock destroyed Gallatin last year 34-27 (2 late Wave TD made score closer than the game actually was). Mcgavock is the defending champion in this region!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gallatin made some nice t shirts,something about revenge for Shipley, They were going to beat Mcgavock as bad as they possibly could. Lassiter refused to trade film with the Mcgavock staff. all of that blew up in your face. You got whipped. I will sit back and listen to you pump your egos up all year,I will talk to after the Raider Nation invades Gtown week 10. (oh wait the raider nation is a metro school --no gate for you. sorry). Overton and Hillwood welcome to the party. You will find that this is a competitive region, looking to find a way past williamson co. come playoff time.  Hunters Lane has a great QB, Antioch has Preston Brown, Hendersonville has a great back (sorry name escapes me), and Mcgavock has the region MVP returning in Carter, Glencliff has their QB back and should be improved, Gallatin has some skill people back but oline is unproven, The word on the new arrivals is that Hillwood lost several players and could struggle early, Overton has some decent LBs but soft up front and no proven QB or RB. Should make for a very competitive region once again. I wont bore you with my predictions at this time, but Overton, Hillwood, Antioch and Gallatin could be playin hoops come week 11.

825702104[/snapback]

I have no disrespect for McGavock. As a matter of fact I'm on record of being against those T-shirts from last year. I also realize that all Metro teams pose a big contest for Gallatin. As far as McGavock goes they are still defending Region Champs so they will have the bulls eye this year for sure. I hope Gallatin will be up to task each Friday night. Otherwise we can probably start planning for Basketball season now as well.

Gtowner & Gallatin fans et al. This is a little off the topic here but long overdue. I have great respect for Gallatin football, great tradition, great fans, great program. My problem is with the lack of respect that you show to other schools. On this thread you have mentioned each school in your region with the exception of Mcgavock. I know that they have been a long running joke in football, in the past. All of that was PB (prior to Broom). Mcgavock destroyed Gallatin last year 34-27 (2 late Wave TD made score closer than the game actually was). Mcgavock is the defending champion in this region!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gallatin made some nice t shirts,something about revenge for Shipley, They were going to beat Mcgavock as bad as they possibly could. Lassiter refused to trade film with the Mcgavock staff. all of that blew up in your face. You got whipped. I will sit back and listen to you pump your egos up all year,I will talk to after the Raider Nation invades Gtown week 10. (oh wait the raider nation is a metro school --no gate for you. sorry). Overton and Hillwood welcome to the party. You will find that this is a competitive region, looking to find a way past williamson co. come playoff time.  Hunters Lane has a great QB, Antioch has Preston Brown, Hendersonville has a great back (sorry name escapes me), and Mcgavock has the region MVP returning in Carter, Glencliff has their QB back and should be improved, Gallatin has some skill people back but oline is unproven, The word on the new arrivals is that Hillwood lost several players and could struggle early, Overton has some decent LBs but soft up front and no proven QB or RB. Should make for a very competitive region once again. I wont bore you with my predictions at this time, but Overton, Hillwood, Antioch and Gallatin could be playin hoops come week 11.

825702104[/snapback]

Let me tell ya....I was sick after McGavock beat us last year(34-24). But I was the first one on here to come back and say we got a full glass of shut-up juice after our loss. I will give McGavock their due. They are the defending 5-5A champions and the game with Gallatin last year really wasn't that close. I have never seen the wing-t ran out of the shotgun and the adjustments made by your coaching staff to offset our strengths were well timed. There is no crying here we got beat plain and simple. I had also forgotten that your little qb was coming back. Norman played a heck of a game against us last year. Hopefully we will be more prepared to play this year. I look forward to the rematch.

The region with the new additions will be better than last year. The region as a whole looks to have more quality players and a lot of them have experience. Overton and Hillwood will be no pushover for anybody in this region. Depth as afore mentioned will be key to any success.

From first glance, Hendersonville will be quicker and Sawyers is the real deal. Antioch has a ton of skill people and speed. Brown is already a preseason all-state candidate. Hunters Lane has some big people and Crutcher is definitely a wildcard. McGavock has some skill people back and a new attitude. Hillwood is huge and a proven runningback returning. Overton should be strong on defense. Glencliff has probably got the best Qb of the region returning and should bring a strong passing game to the field. So the outlook is very unpredictable.

I did not mention mcgavock simply because i do not see them as a proven team in this region. They had a good year last year and with a little luck they will do the same this year, but they have not done it year after year. Lets not start this season by digging up bones from seasons past.

I did not mention mcgavock simply because i do not see them as a proven team in this region.  They had a good year last year and with a little luck they will do the same this year, but they have not done it year after year.  Lets not start this season by digging up bones from seasons past.

825703227[/snapback]

Exactly what I was thinking about at work today, Gtowner!!

Besides we still own the overall record. :angry: