A question for White House fans

GWAVE1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who holds the record for the most rushing yards in White House history?  I remember Phillip Harris broke the Sumner County mark set by Carl Woods.  But didn't a James Turner (Turner doesn't sound right)or somebody break that record?

825704467[/snapback]

I'll check the website, but I don't think he has individual season records. You might check with Dewayne McDaniel. He hands out some newsletters to the fans on Fridays during games and seems to keep a little more of the historical stuff.

Who holds the record for the most rushing yards in White House history?  I remember Phillip Harris broke the Sumner County mark set by Carl Woods.  But didn't a James Turner (Turner doesn't sound right)or somebody break that record?

825704467[/snapback]

Hey GWAVE1...thanks for your interest...I'll have to check on that as well....You are thinking of James Taylor, who graduated in 1992. In my opinion, he was the greatest RB in the history of White House football. That boy was a one-man wrecking crew, and in those years, all we had to do was hand it off to him, and watch him go!

The Sumner County rushing record belongs to one Gerald Turner from Portland...who, as soon as the proper records get passed on to TSSAA (oversight), will be in the top five in three different categories all time (statewide)...rushing yards, total yards (all-purpose) and total touchdowns. Without his records in front of me I can tell you he scored 96 touchdowns, had well over 5,000 all purpose yards (vast majority of those rushing) and hit the 1500 yards mark three times (sophmore, junior, senior). The most astounding stat, he averaged right at 10 yards per rush...he was something special...and is greatly missed.

The Sumner County rushing record belongs to one Gerald Turner from Portland...who, as soon as the proper records get passed on to TSSAA (oversight), will be in the top five in three different categories all time (statewide)...rushing yards, total yards (all-purpose) and total touchdowns.  Without his records in front of me I can tell you he scored 96 touchdowns, had well over 5,000 all purpose yards (vast majority of those rushing) and hit the 1500 yards mark three times (sophmore, junior, senior).  The most astounding stat, he averaged right at 10 yards per rush...he was something special...and is greatly missed.

825704684[/snapback]

What a tragic end to a very promising life. He was a great one on and off the field.

What a tragic end to a very promising life.  He was a great one on and off the field.

825704717[/snapback]

Thanks, the Portland Community is proud of the his accomplishments on the field, but was changed from the inside-out by his accomplishments off the field...he embodied a the definition of selfless...something I struggle with that he made look natural (because it was).

Thanks, the Portland Community is proud of the his accomplishments on the field, but was changed from the inside-out by his accomplishments off the field...he embodied a the definition of selfless...something I struggle with that he made look natural (because it was).

825704740[/snapback]

That's what I have heard about him. Good luck to you and your team this season. I really enjoyed the great rivalry over the last 4 years.

That's what I have heard about him.  Good luck to you and your team this season. I really enjoyed the great rivalry over the last 4 years.

825704746[/snapback]

Thanks, it was an honor to represent a region that had two state champions (97/2000), eight consecutive semifinalists, and great support from small town communities...thank you for your continued support for high school football in its purest form.

The most impressive thing about Gerald Turner was the fact he ran in the Wing-T Portland offense, and there were years where Portland had eight or nine backs with 100 to 600 yards rushing for the season. He would rack up huge numbers and yards per carry, but never against White House did he carry it too many times in one game. He was limited by the system.

Portland also manhandled most of its regular season and playoff opponents during his career, leaving the second half to youngsters.

Had Gerald Turner ran in an I-back formation as the feature back, he might have been the best this state has ever seen at the high school level.

I'm taking nothing away from Portland -- their style is suited to many backs. But Gerald could have blown more stat records away, but he just didn't play enough.

I'll never forget what I saw at Portland one year from the stands against White House. They handed off to him and he jumped the line of scrimmage when the linemen fell and the hole collapsed. He scored on a long touchdown run.

Thanks for the information guys. So I take it that Turner is 1st in Sumner County, Taylor is second, Harris third and Woods fourth.

I was curious as to how many yards Ladd had in his career and if he has a shot at breaking into the leader board.

Turner was a great back and everything I have heard about him was postive. It truely was a tragic ending but his positve attributes still live on. Like it was said before, if he would have been in a system with a feature back, then there is no telling what he would have accomplished.

Where exactly does Shane Dorris rank on the all-time White House rushing yards list???

825705066[/snapback]

Shane Dorris is not that high, probably in the top 10, but his numbers did not blow anyone away. Dorris was just a good, hard-nosed runner and there have been many like him.

Ricky has not played but one full season. He started with White House against Maplewood in 2003, the fourth game of the year. According to the website, here are his stats. The website did not have individual stats for Dorris.

Ladd (2003) -- 125-673-5.4 avg-7 TD

Ladd (2004) -- 232-1985-8.6 avg-24 TD

Total -- 357 for 2658 (7.45 avg) - 31 TD

I don't know what Turner, Harris, Woods, etc. and their numbers are, but it would take a MONSTER season from Ladd to qualify for that list.