Ooltewah vs. Cookeville

ImaOWL

Gulmire is pretty dang good....But we won't get into that  :lol:

825720862[/snapback]

Caldwell is better better vision better first step and better defensive back too but sad as it sounds Caldwell may not be the best tailback on Ooltewah team cause Marshall is darn tough to tackle and much faster just not the same vision but he bounces when you hit him like emmit smith or barry sanders incredible balance low center of gravity and lightning speed.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caldwell is better better vision better first step and better defensive back too but sad as it sounds Caldwell may not be the best tailback on Ooltewah team cause Marshall is darn tough to tackle and much faster just not the same vision but he bounces when you hit him like emmit smith or  barry sanders incredible balance low center of gravity and lightning speed.

825720865[/snapback]

I don't know, Glumire is just so tough, but that Marshall kid is for real...I saw him run a 10.8 100m in track so I won't argue that he's fast!

Hah, I saw that interview on Stump, you gotta love Monroe's swagger. Something along the lines of . . .

Monroe: We really played terrible tonight, it shouldn't have been anywhere near as close as it was

Interviewer: You gotta give those Cookeville Cavaliers credit for their gutsy play, right?

Monroe: (pause) Well, we really just stopped playing and didn't execute and played horrible tonight.

This is going to be a good season

You been under a rock Cookeville returned 17 starters and 35 seniors from a team that played riverdale within a touchdown probably the toughest game Ooltewah will have til the playoff and if you were there it wasn't that close.  Cookeville is very talented, very very well coached ( better than Ooltewah tonight I thought) and I wouldn't expect em to lose again til playoffs.

825720838[/snapback]

Your nuts.

I not from either school but was at the game and the Owls have some problems. (Oak Ridge, Soddy and Farragut) The owls had the bigger and faster team but was out played the second half by a team that showed heart.

Your #2 and #3 play hard but a team with some height will be able to take advantage of their size.

Ooltewah was the better team but the second half was out played by a smaller team (Oak Ridge, Soddy and Farragut) are not smaller and I don't see the owls going undefeated in regular season or very far in the playoffs .

Great High School game to watch. Both # 20s on the two teams are great football players! thumb

I'll have to agree with mnewballer, Ooltewah did seem to be the better team, struggling through two very, very questionable pass intereference calls both on 3rd and long (if I recall correctly) that put Cookeville inside the twenty. That said, Cookeville was able to catch on eventually and stop the run with some success, and they got their running game going towards the end, so maybe they're a little better than they let on as well.

I really hope Monroe spreads out  the workload next game. You can't put some of these guys on the field that much and expect them to play up to speed. And I'm sure they're going to focus on the secondary because their performance was definitely not what it should have been.  There were several lob passes during which two or three Ooltewah DBs and one Cookeville WR were around the ball and the DBs just didn't seem positioned or fast or tall enough to contend for the ball.

I think Ooltewas passed a total of 7 or 8 times and completed 4 of them. At first it was because Cookeville couldn't stop it, and later it was to run down the clock, but it seems like Monroe could have at least tried a few creative or short passing plays when the run wasn't as effective as it was early on.

All that said, it was a really good game, and both teams seem poised to have great seasons.

825720669[/snapback]

I'm glad to see Ooltewah won, but it is hard for me, who never went to either of these schools, and have no biases either way to say that Ooltewah looked like the better team. Cookeville had more yardage 386-306; more passing yards 206-14; more time of possession; and looked sharper at the end of the game.

I agree Ooltewah is more talented, but I really felt it was not used and I was a little disappointed. At the same time, it looked like Cookeville adjusted to Ooltewah's speed and coach Monroe was outcoached.

Now, that is all to say that this was their first game of the season and the first game under Monroe, but they are going to have to get better.

in my opinion ooltewah played absolutely horrible and still won this game, it should have been 35-7 or so, , it was b/c ooltewah's secondary didn't come to play, cookeville's qb was just throwing the ball up for grabs and ooltewah players just watched...in my opinion ooltewah was the better team, i'll prolly get ripped for saying all this b/c im not saying it was so evenly matched like everyone claims, but ooltewah played terrible and still came out the victor

825720583[/snapback]

That's the truth.

Edited by MasterBlaster 1

Eric Atchley is a great kid made a 33 on Act I think and Chris Ricketts is as well both are great kids and 10 catches 210 yards didn't help with momo in backfield and Gary Orr who is probably the best QB SD has had since Brent Maynor.  This year they have no tailback and no real quarterback even though Dobbs is a heck of a kid too and great Baseball and Basketball player.  Just don't see em matching up very well they couldn't handle Caldwell last year and he has changed alot as far as the way he runs knowing he's the man this year.

And BTW he's a pretty darn good defensive back )

oh and sorry Marshall is faster than Caldwell and tougher to bring down in my opinion.

825720825[/snapback]

No way. Marshall may be faster but he is defnitely not tougher to bring down. If he gets in the open field he'll be hard to catch, but when he got hit in the middle he got knocked around like a pin ball machine on a number of occasions.

and the entire game Cookeville Knew Caldwell was getting the ball and his shortest carry was prolly 6 yards

825720854[/snapback]

Don't get me wrong guys; Caldwell is a good back and I'm glad to see Ooltewah won, but you have to be realistic about what happened on the field. You are looking through rose colored glasses.

By my count, Caldwell had several very short runs... 6,5,6,1,5,5,4,2,2,3,6,5,6... that is 13 carries of six or less yards. Only 7 of those carries was over six yards and two of them were for 7 and another for only 9. So he only had four carries for over 10 yards. After midway through the first quarter Caldwell only had on carry over 10 yards and it was for 14. Cookeville adjusted and stopped him. You gotta give them credit and recognize what actually happened on the field.

I think Ooltewah is going to be a really good team and they will improve each week. I am very hopeful that Monroe will be playing more kids, but right now they were lucky to come out with a win this time.

By my count, Caldwell had several very short runs... 6,5,6,1,5,5,4,2,2,3,6,5,6... that is 13 carries of six or less yards.  Only 7 of those carries was over six yards and two of them were for 7 and another for only 9.  So he only had four carries for over 10 yards.  After midway through the first quarter Caldwell only had on carry over 10 yards and it was for 14.  Cookeville adjusted and stopped him.  You gotta give them credit and recognize what actually happened on the field.

I am very hopeful that Monroe will be playing more kids, but right now they were lucky to come out with a win this time.

825720952[/snapback]

Now I know why your name is basketballisbest. Tell me how many backs run 15 times for at least 5 yards....If my back can average 5 yards per carry, then he'll start for me any day......

And no, Ooltewah didn't get lucky? They outplayed Cookeville the first 3 quarters....they got outplayed for one quarter, but in true Ooltewah-Defense fashion, bowed up and held the Cavs from the 10 in OT. That's just good right there - not lucky!

And yes, there were some aspects of the Owls game that needs to be adjusted and improved. But it's Week 0. Coach Monroe just coached his first game in however many years - I know he's a coaching legend, but he needed a game to get back into the swing of things as well.

I was very pleased with the Owls offense. I think the addition of Brian Marshall and Clark Gaston to the running game is huge! Nobody is going to stop Gaston up the middle.

I think as the season goes on, the passing game will be utilized more. I'd like to see more passing to the tight ends. With their size, they will be open.

Defense was overall good, but the secondary must be tightened up. The first long pass was a blown coverage. One guy thought it was Cover 2 the other, Cover 3. So things like that happen - especially this early! I'm not worried about MY owls - they'll be fine! Can't wait till next week!