MBA/Byrnes SC updates

timbdp

If you listened to the Coach Rutledge interview...when Byrnes called him he initially had no idea how good they were. It is great that they scheduled such a good team for people of this area to see. It's also good that the Clinic Bowl associaton probably made good money from the game for a great cause.

That being said...MBA wouldn't have scheduled them if some of the top 5a teams would play them. They wouldn't go out of state. They go out of state because the best competiton within the state will not play them. The same can be said for others of the Super 7. Coach Rutledge said that very thing in the City Paper interview a few weeks ago. It's too bad it is that way. I don't see any solution in the near future.

825722142[/snapback]

It is sad that more high school coaches are not willing to put it on the line like Coach Rutledge. I think it is worth risking a beating like MBA took for the chance of the glory that they experienced over Trinity in '03. I would like to see other schools that assemble great teams most years to show a little more guts when scheduling. You know what I mean...they should have more of a "warrior spirit" <cough>.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad that more high school coaches are not willing to put it on the line like Coach Rutledge. I think it is worth risking a beating like MBA took for the chance of the glory that they experienced over Trinity in '03. I would like to see other schools that assemble great teams most years to show a little more guts when scheduling. You know what I mean...they should have more of a "warrior spirit" <cough>.

825722148[/snapback]

How humorous you are <cough>

I am a little confused. I have been posting on these boards for about 5-6 years now. Consistently I see posts about how MBA and others are so noble because they play all these out of state schools, and Riverdale doesn't. At the same time, people complain about MBA and others having to play out of state because Riverdale won't play them in-state. Can't figure that one out.

My questions are simple:

Should Riverdale and other 5A teams play the best that the state of TN has to offer, thereby proving who is best in the state?

or

Should Riverdale, MBA and others play the top teams from outside TN to try and prove that our state deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as the so-called powerhouse states?

It can't be both, ya'll, unless we can just skip the region games and let MBA, Riverdale and the other traditional powers qualify for the playoffs based on history.

I have all the respect in the world for the MBA program, and I hope nothing in this post seems offensive.

I've seen several great teams from my school (mid-80s, and '95, '96) but what was on the field last night was a different level. Only the MBA team of '99 puts up a fight with the bunch from Byrnes.

The bottom line is that BA and MBA have to go out of state to play these team because teams like Riverdale won't play them. BA and MBA will play anybody, anywhere. Sadly the same could not be said for Riverdale.

I heard a few rumblings in the stands wishing to see a Riverdale vs. Byrnes matchup. To that I have 2 things to say.

1) Riverdale would never lay it on the line like MBA or BA would and play a team like this.

2) Byrnes would beat Riverdale as bad as they beat MBA, maybe worse.

I've seen several great teams from my school (mid-80s, and '95, '96) but what was on the field last night was a different level.  Only the MBA team of '99 puts up a fight with the bunch from Byrnes.

The bottom line is that BA and MBA have to go out of state to play these team because teams like Riverdale won't play them.  BA and MBA will play anybody, anywhere.  Sadly the same could not be said for Riverdale.

I heard a few rumblings in the stands wishing to see a Riverdale vs. Byrnes matchup.  To that I have 2 things to say.

1)  Riverdale would never lay it on the line like MBA or BA would and play a team like this.

2)  Byrnes would beat Riverdale as bad as they beat MBA, maybe worse.

825722231[/snapback]

Absolutely outstanding non-answers to simple questions.

I've seen several great teams from my school (mid-80s, and '95, '96) but what was on the field last night was a different level.  Only the MBA team of '99 puts up a fight with the bunch from Byrnes.

The bottom line is that BA and MBA have to go out of state to play these team because teams like Riverdale won't play them.  BA and MBA will play anybody, anywhere.  Sadly the same could not be said for Riverdale.

I heard a few rumblings in the stands wishing to see a Riverdale vs. Byrnes matchup.  To that I have 2 things to say.

1)  Riverdale would never lay it on the line like MBA or BA would and play a team like this.

2)  Byrnes would beat Riverdale as bad as they beat MBA, maybe worse.

825722231[/snapback]

You are wrong about that. I don't know if Riverdale would beat Byrnes (nobody does). I am reasonably sure Riverdale would play them close if not beat them. Riverdale has the speed to match up with anybody...MBA does not.

Riverdale is playing a top team from another state this very week. Kilbourne was a semifinalist last year.

Does anyone really think Riverdale is AFRAID of MBA or BA? The last couple of years...they very likely would have pounded either. There's no state title on the line. That is not the reason. It's their choice not to play them. Say what you want...they are not going to play them in the near future. Like I said before...that's too bad. I fully understand why.

Edited by Antwan

I think the answer is to abandon the public/private split, or at the very least make all current DII-AAA teams play at the current DI-5A level.

825722237[/snapback]

So your answer is to determine who is truly the best in the state, and not worry about how TN stacks up to the rest of the country? That's what I got from your post. Very legitimate, and probably my answer as well. Since you really can never tell which state is the best, at least find out who rules TN.

2) Byrnes would beat Riverdale as bad as they beat MBA, maybe worse.

825722231[/snapback]

That's kind of a foolish assumption don't you think? I recall Riverdale having some speed to counteract those Byrnes players. Gaston Miller and that big fullback weren't bad either, were they?

And didn't Riverdale smoke MBA this summer in the scrimmage?

But Antawn, you cannot begin to compare Kilbourne to Byrnes. You said it yourself, Kilbourne is a semifinalist from last year, Byrnes is working with three state championships in a row. There's not a comparisson there.

Edited by BamaFaninTN

Byrnes is quite likely a top 10 team in the nation this year, and Kilbourne is not currently ranked in the top 15 in their division in their own state. To compare the two is ludicrous.

I would love to see the Clinic Bowl game become an annual matchup between the previous year's DII 3A champ and DI 5A champ. Now that would raise some cash for a worthy cause!

P.S. - I really enjoyed the 2003 BA v. MBA game personally. At least the first one!

Edited by itzme

Byrnes is quite likely a top 10 team in the nation this year, and Kilbourne is not currently ranked in the top 15 in their division in their own state.  To compare the two is ludicrous.

I would love to see the Clinic Bowl game become an annual matchup between the previous year's DII 3A champ and DI 5A champ.  Now that would raise some cash for a worthy cause!

P.S. - I really enjoyed the 2003 BA v. MBA game personally.  At least the first one!

825722274[/snapback]

You really can't compare. You don't know how Kilbourne would compare with Byrnes. They are a big strong team. Maybe they would line up and run right over Byrnes. It's apples and oranges. We do have the opportunity to compare MBA (DII) Tennessee and Byrnes (AAAA) South Carolina...no comparison there. We also have the opportunity to compare Riverdale (5a) Tennessee and Worthington Kilbourne (DI) Ohio. We'll see if Riverdale will compete. Incidently...since you want to talk about national rankings....the team that beat Kilbourne to put them out last year in the DI semifinals was the preseason #1 ranked team in the country Cincinnati Colerain. Kilbourne was 11-2 in that league last year. Who knows...Kilbourne could be the best team in Ohio this year. So no...I don't think the comparison is too ludicrous.

It wouldn't bother me to see that game every year either...but wouldn't you be going by the previous year? You said Kilbourne is not preseason top 15 in their own division when they finished in the top 4 last year.

If the matchup was MBA and Riverdale....it would draw a big crowd. Do you really think MUS and Riverdale would? I doubt it.

Byrnes is quite likely a top 10 team in the nation this year, and Kilbourne is not currently ranked in the top 15 in their division in their own state.  To compare the two is ludicrous.

I would love to see the Clinic Bowl game become an annual matchup between the previous year's DII 3A champ and DI 5A champ.  Now that would raise some cash for a worthy cause!

P.S. - I really enjoyed the 2003 BA v. MBA game personally.  At least the first one!

825722274[/snapback]

I'd rather see that game played after the season by the two champions, not based on last year.