FOOTBALL IN SMITH COUNTY BETTER OR WORSE?

Eagledriver

The time period from 1987-1990 was the best in Smith County football in my opinion. The best running back to ever wear an owl uniform played during this time,his name =Scott Dirkson. Scott was 190-200lbs of explosive gamebreaking excitement that Smith County has not seen since and will probably never see again. Scott led the state in rushing and scoring for 2 consecutive years. He was Mr. Football during a time when there was only one Mr. Football per class and there were only 3 classes 1A,2A and 3A. Some compared the Wilmore running back from last year to Scott, there is no comparison. Scott was bigger,faster, and much more explosive. He was a true division 1 prospect if not for his academics.

I urge you to simply look at the stats. Also during that time you did not play cream puff teams from your own division in the playoffs. You would have to face talented east TN teams like Marion County, Sequatchie, etc. Look what happened to last years team as soon as they stepped out of their division, it was no contest.

Gordonsville was also a much better ball team in the 80's. You had great players like Jaimie Angel, Brad Cowan, Doug Dillard. I believe teams during those days were bigger and stronger. Now before anyone debates weights as the deciding factor about strength lets remember something. Back in the 80's Carthage and Gordonsville were farming communities. Young men would work outside all day in the hot son, physical labor was the norm. This type of upbringing made strong,tough and hard young men that would laugh at todays football practices. They were better conditioned to handle the heat. Weightroom strength is one thing but good old fashioned strength developed by hard work is immeasurable. Kids today set around playing playstation and drink cokes and eat junkfood. Todays football players might look the part but the glory days of real football are over. One more thing if the Smith County head coach had has his ball players drink gatorade on the way to knoxville last week the owls would have made it a game. Riding on a bus drinking cokes will dehydrate you which will lead to cramps.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post. I agree that Dirkson is the best player to come out of Smith County, but it doesn't mean his teams were the best. He hit the holes like no other high school back. I can guarantee that SC has not been playing "cream puffs" in the playoffs the last few years. In just the past few years, we have been eliminated from the playoffs by 2 state champions and a couple really good Trousdale County teams.

I also agree that there is no substitute for good old fashioned farm strength, but the game of football isn't necessarily about strength. I would say that the teams of the past 6-7 years are the most consistent in SC history.I just hope this year's team can live up to that consistency. Last of all, please don't complain about coaching, we have it better than most other teams in the state when it comes to coaching. A staff that really cares about the players and always brings out the best in each player is irreplaceable.

Good post. I agree that Dirkson is the best player to come out of Smith County, but it doesn't mean his teams were the best. He hit the holes like no other high school back. I can guarantee that SC has not been playing "cream puffs" in the playoffs the last few years. In just the past few years, we have been eliminated from the playoffs by 2 state champions and a couple really good Trousdale County teams.

I also agree that there is no substitute for good old fashioned farm strength, but the game of football isn't necessarily about strength. I would say that the teams of the past 6-7 years are the most consistent in SC history.I just hope this year's team can live up to that consistency. Last of all, please don't complain about coaching, we have it better than most other teams in the state when it comes to coaching. A staff that really cares about the players and always brings out the best in each player is irreplaceable.

825726291[/snapback]

Dirkson played at MTSU so he had the grades. Smith ran into a couple of buzzsaws in 1989 and 1990 in Sequatchie and Marion, probably two of those schools' best teams ever in those years. Marion won the state in 1990..Sequatchie lost in the last 30 seconds to Kingston in 1989 in round 3, a week after that Kingston lost in the last minute to state champ and nationally ranked Alcoa. Smith might have won a playoff game in both years if it was like it is now, but only 2 teams from each of the 16 districts made it, for those who don't remember that far back. 1989 team was 10-0 if I remember right, but Sequatchie outcoached them, changed the offensive scheme at the start of the second half and Smith never caught up to it.

825726470[/snapback]

I will agree with E.D.and Dirkson's teams were top notch.Also the Rankin years were very consistent.He took the owls to the semi-finals before Coach Maynord.This team in particular,1985,played an A.E. team with an eventual pro player in Leroy Thompson.I will also say that some of these teams in 2a then are now 3 and 4a.As far as "Juice",I believe he was the best that has played at SCHS.Over 2000 yards his senior year alone.His overall rushing stats were 5880 yards and 69 td's.Billy Frank was a great fullback as well as Doug Elliot a great nose guard.These teams were consistent.

Those teams were great, but played "creampuff" season schedules that led in part to early eliminations from the playoffs. 10-0 seasons with no real challenge on the slate are dilluted somewhat. Lack of in district competition drastically hurt those teams. Coaching in the big games was not the best then either. Not taking anything away from the great teams from yesterday, but SCHS program in 2005 is in pretty good shape.

Great Post! But one question.  Didn't that Angel run down "Juice" from behind! Size: great. Speed: good, but not great.  Did enjoy the post.  Finally, someone from Carthage, I think, knows about football in Smith Co.! You forgot Billy Frank Phillips. Great runningback!

825726164[/snapback]

Billy Ralph was a tremendous fullback also his senior year.

I must say after watching SC football since 1984, I think it is better now than then. But I think every team will be compared to those 85, 87 & 88 teams because they were the first to be successfull in the playoff format. Even though the 1988 team may have been the best, you always hear comparisons to be 1985 team because the made it farther in the playoffs. The 1987 team got screwed out of at least a quarterfinal berth by Sweetwater's refs. But I think these teams over the past 4 years have been more consistant. I don't see how they played cupcakes in the playoffs when Portland & Livingston were ranked in the top 5 or 6 in the state all year. But you have a good point, today's playoff formatt is easier than in 80's. You had to be a great football team to even make the playoffs. All in all, both "era's" were great and I hope this one is not over yet.

The game in 1987 against Sweetwater was horribly officiated.The game in 1988 against Marion co. had some bad coach calls.Fourth and two on the goal and we call a sweep in the river or football field.Remember how bad the field was then.That team should have gone to the state championship,but we would've played a tremendous Brentwood Academy team.Remember also at that time B.A. were a nationally ranked powerhouse.I don't believe the quality of teams at SCHS now are any better than they were then.Football has changed some i.e. coaching styles,gameplanning,strenth conditioning,etc.But those teams of yesteryear should always be remembered.Also Dirkson never gets the recognition by Murphy Fair or anyone that he deserves.He was the best that has played there in the last 20 yrs.Not trying to take anything from the other really good backs who have played there since.

The game in 1987 against Sweetwater was horribly officiated.The game in 1988 against Marion co. had some bad coach calls.Fourth and two on the goal and we call a sweep in the river or football field.Remember how bad the field was then.That team should have gone to the state championship,but we would've played a tremendous <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> team.Remember also at that time B.A. were a nationally ranked powerhouse.I don't believe the quality of teams at SCHS now are any better than they were then.Football has changed some i.e. coaching styles,gameplanning,strenth conditioning,etc.But those teams of yesteryear should always be remembered.Also Dirkson never gets the recognition by Murphy Fair or anyone that he deserves.He was the best that has played there in the last 20 yrs.Not trying to take anything from the other really good backs who have played there since.

825727321[/snapback]

im not from smith but i love yalls posts some guys that no the history and arent just running there mouths great post stick wiht it and write some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1