FOOTBALL IN SMITH COUNTY BETTER OR WORSE?

Eagledriver

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris McConnell is probably the best lineman to ever play for SCHS. He is an athletic big man who is laden with talent. He dominated everybody he lined up against and saw him make plays in the open field against some good backs.

I don't see any reason whatsoever to use this thread to make negative comments about the players who suited up in the past for the Owls.

Offense

WRs Ronald Edwards, Brian Hackett

TEs Kendrick King, Morgan Hix

Ts Chris McConnell, Kevin Raney

Gs T. Gibbs, Pup Enoch

C Sid Enoch

FBs Willie White, Billy Frank Phillips, Jay Hesson

TBs Juice, Wilmore, Bennis Butler, Scott Murray

QBs Brady, Crowe

Utility Brett Hackett, John Foster, Jason Harville

Defense

DBs Shannon Greene, Elston Gibbs, Jacob Bass (I believe he will be one of the best before he graduates), Jerry Gammon, and I've got to throw Kyle Speck in there ( anyone who can pick it off over Corey Brewer deserves some props)

LBs Hesson, Morgan Hix, White, Phillips, McKinley (Please try to run on those guys)

TNTs Doug Elliot, Ben Stacey, Tommy Dickens

DEs Rosco Vance, Josh Gibbs

Edited by OWLSRULE

Very rarely do I post anything on this board. I have read many good posts about the SC Football teams and players that I grew up looking at as hero's. I think that we are all comparing apples and oranges. You could have 50 opinions about who was or is the best. One thing is for sure, if you have ever put on the black and gold, suited up on Friday night, or just an avid support much respect goes out to the ones who respect what SCP is all about.

The great thing about SC is the support that we get from eveyone. (Except the Fair Weather Fans0

Cousin Eddie-I think that you should read the shirt of 04!

TRADITION DOESN'T GRADUATE=Tradition is mentioned often these days at SC

One thing is for sure. The stories of the GREAT Scott Juice Dirkson Lives ON!

Many SC Football players gather yearly and watch his old highlight film.

His MR. FOOTBALL Trophy is displayed in a brand new case outside the Cafe.

His number is retired, and his jersey hangs in the SC Equipment room.

I even have his new Cd, his rap name is DRAMA! Don't believe rumors.

I eat, breathe, sleep, and eat SC Football. The many memories of the past still live on. We try to make more each day.

BTW, if i was picking talent, I wouldn't pick many of the 04 team. They were not very talented. Many of the teams they lined up against were more talented. Many other SC Teams were more talented. One thing that I will say. I will bet that No other SC team has worked harder. I will bet the farm that no other team has had more heart. They went to work each day, with what they had, but they went to work together.

Keep this thread going, it is great to read each day. Keep SCP alive the way it is supposed to be.

It is a very special thing to put on that black and gold uniform and call yourself an Owl. I still get cold chills when they run threw the sign, or the band plays the fight song, and I love it when they honor old teams and players. To try and fathom all of the hard work, dedication and commitment that all these teams and players have given is next to impossible. Although probably immeasureable, I know a little about the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed on that field. Some of it was mine. Any one who has ever done so has a place on this board and within this topic. That field, although new and improved, still pumps the heart that todays players still live off of when they can't find anymore of their own strength to give. It still seeps with courage, honor and a relentless quest to be the best for every "player" that walks on it. Their is a topic about why people love football on the board. If they don't know, they need to come here some Friday night and experience a true love for the game and its players.

BTW, I hope the singing of our alma mater continues after every home game this year.

Edited by OWLSRULE

Very rarely do I post anything on this board.  I have read many good posts about the SC Football teams and players that I grew up looking at as hero's.  I think that we are all comparing apples and oranges.  You could have 50 opinions about who was or  is the best.  One thing is for sure, if you have ever put on the black and gold, suited up on Friday night, or just an avid support much respect goes out  to the ones who respect what SCP is all about. 

The great thing about SC is the support that we get from eveyone. (Except the Fair Weather Fans0

Cousin Eddie-I think that you should read the shirt of 04! 

TRADITION DOESN'T GRADUATE=Tradition is mentioned often these days at SC

One thing is for sure.  The stories of the GREAT Scott Juice Dirkson Lives ON!

Many SC Football players gather yearly and watch his old highlight film.

His MR. FOOTBALL Trophy is displayed in a brand new case outside the Cafe.

His number is retired, and his jersey hangs in the SC Equipment room.

I even have his new Cd, his rap name is DRAMA!  Don't believe rumors.

I eat, breathe, sleep, and eat SC Football.  The many memories of the past still live on.  We try to make more each day. 

BTW, if i was picking talent, I wouldn't pick many of the 04 team.  They were not very talented.  Many of the teams they lined up against were more talented.  Many other SC Teams were more talented.  One thing that I will say.  I will bet that No other SC team has worked harder.  I will bet the farm that no other team has had more heart.  They went to work each day, with what they had, but they went to work together. 

Keep this thread going, it is great to read each day.  Keep SCP alive the way it is supposed to be.

825735803[/snapback]

Good post.I will disagree with you on work ethic.Those older teams worked very hard.Hey,any of you guys remember camp at Columbia.Another good thing is I'm glad to here that about Juice's jersey,etc.Thanks.

Edited by Cousin Eddie

It is a very special thing to put on that black and gold uniform and call yourself an Owl. I still get cold chills when they run threw the sign, or the band plays the fight song, and I love it when they honor old teams and players. To try and fathom all of the hard work, dedication and commitment that all these teams and players have given is next to impossible. Although probably immeasureable, I know a little about the blood, sweat and tears that have been shed on that field. Some of it was mine. Any one who has ever done so has a place on this board and within this topic. That field, although new and improved, still pumps the heart that todays players still live off of when they can't find anymore of their own strength to give. It still seeps with courage, honor and a relentless quest to be the best for every "player" that walks on it. Their is a topic about why people love football on the board. If they don't know, they need to come here some Friday night and experience a true love for the game and its players.

BTW, I hope the singing of our alma mater continues after every home game this year.

825735844[/snapback]

Another good post.We all have our own versions of Friday Night Lights,don't we.

Yes we do, my friend.

The people of Smith County Football have always been a family in my mind. Of course, there has been the occasional bashing of coaches and the friendly disagreements but what family doesn't have some of that ever now and then? In the end we always come together to work things out by remembering who all this is for anyway - the kids.

825735844[/snapback]

Great Post. I agree wholeheartedly with every word. You always hear about SCP and that post explained it for me. I made brothers for life on that field and will never forget the memories, good and bad. The work and fun I shared with those other guys on that field made me who I am today and will continue to guide me as I go further. Again, Great Post. There's no feeling in the world like wearing the black and gold for all of Smith County.

You know it is funny to think back of all the past SCHS teams.There were some really good ones and really horrible ones.I believe if Rankin had stayed they may have been to a state championship game by now.Partly due to lessons learned by him from early on.I don't know about this year,but I believe one day SCHS will go there to the s.c. game.It's funny because SCHS is one of the more physical teams today in the state.I still say those teams in the Eighties were much more physical,but we have always been a little harder hitting than some.Now east TN still puts out probably some of the most physical teams.I know for a fact back then they did.Who is the hardest hitters you have seen in the last 25 years at SCHS?I don't believe this is on another post because we are talking SCHS football here.We have discussed runners and ol and dl,etc.Let's talk pure physical players for a bit.

Edited by Cousin Eddie

Hardest hitters I remember. Jay Hesson first and for most, Doug Swann, Michael Hix, Morgan Hix, Josh Gibbs, Elston Gibbs, Michael Wilmore, Matt Dyer, Dave Silcox. Those are just a few. In my opinion everyone who steps on the field for SC can hit. I know I got hit harder in practice EVERY DAY, than I ever did in a game. That goes for hitting starters and scout teams. And about the posts that talk about SCP, my hats off to ya'll. Them posts summed up everything about SCP. If anyone has ever put on a Owl jersey, they can relate to those posts.