When do you call the dogs off?

DCHS

Having played for a program that was less than desirable, well we were flat out bad, we took our share royal butt kickings. Since then I began coaching and thankfully found some success. However, I have been on the receiving end on games that were way out of hand and they would still put it to us. I recall one game where we were getting beat 49-16 with two minutes to go and they left their starters in the game so their star running back could break a record by scoring another TD. I could go on and on but when does it become a lack of class. Do much better teams have a responsiblility not to demoralize teams? Just curious.

Having played for a program that was less than desirable, well we were flat out bad, we took our share royal butt kickings.  Since then I began coaching and thankfully found some success.  However, I have been on the receiving end on games that were way out of hand and they would still put it to us.  I recall one game where we were getting beat 49-16 with two minutes to go and they left their starters in the game so their star running back could break a record by scoring another TD.  I could go on and on but when does it become a lack of class.  Do much better teams have a responsiblility not to demoralize teams?  Just curious.

825734808[/snapback]

Our old coach once made the comment when asked if someone run the score up on us: "it's not the other teams job to stop scoring, it is our job to stop them."

That being said, I think you can keep the starters in the whole first half, no matter what the score. After that you can start subbing if the score is pretty bad. There is no way of really determining what score is "too bad" though. That is just a personal thing.

DCHS,

I see both sides on this one. It is the other team's responsibility to stop them not mine. I also believe that the starters have earned the right to play and not get pulled too early. I do think that you continue running your base offense whether you are a passing team or running team. I would not run any trick plays though. Start subbing in the backups later in the 3rd. Definitely have the starters out in the 4th Q.

Fans usually make a bigger deal out of it than coaches. I've seen teams take knees on PATs and I think that is more embarassing than running the play. And lastly always remember and learn from the butt whippings. Learn what it takes to not let them happen again.

DCHS,

I see both sides on this one.  It is the other team's responsibility to stop them not mine.  I also believe that the starters have earned the right to play and not get pulled too early.  I do think that you continue running your base offense whether you are a passing team or running team.  I would not run any trick plays though.  Start subbing in the backups later in the 3rd.  Definitely have the starters out in the 4th Q. 

Fans usually make a bigger deal out of it than coaches.  I've seen teams take knees on PATs and I think that is more embarassing than running the play.  And lastly always remember and learn from the butt whippings.  Learn what it takes to not let them happen again.

825734879[/snapback]

I agree with you. I compare it to Ezell a few years ago. They were drilling people just to drill them - throwing deep late when the game was 40+ points out of reach. I really think this is why their old coach left Dodge. He realized payback was going to be rough as they were going through a small dry spell in terms of athletes for football.

I agree on one half unless one team is truely out classed. Then take the starters out earlier. I believe a team can get much more benefit out of letting younger guys gain some experience "under the lights" than letting starters run up the score. But in some cases the younger players are so much better than the opposing teams starters that the score still gets out of hand.

Its tough, particularly if you are a spread passing team. As Steve Spurrier used to say "Its not my job to stop my own offense." With that said, there is a classy way to do it. Number one, if you are a passing team, take your starters out at the latest by the end of the third quarter. Those second stringers do deserve to work in the offensive scheme and throw some passes, but don't chuck and duck every play up 50-0. It just isn't right. But, with that said, its that defenses job to stop em.

Its tough, particularly if you are a spread passing team. As Steve Spurrier used to say "Its not my job to stop my own offense." .

825734892[/snapback]

that how you win college championships by beating the heck out of cup cake teams thats not how you win high school titles you have to remember it looks good when you kill some one in college ball but it high school teams take has being disrespectful

that how you win college championships by beating the heck out of cup cake teams thats not how you win high school titles you have to remember it looks good when you kill some one in college ball but it high school teams take has being disrespectful

825734898[/snapback]

Good point. In college you beat teams into the ground and don't think twice about it.

However, in high school, I think it all depends on who you're playing. If you're playing a bad team and it's 35-0 after the 3rd quarter, you sub the whole team and keep running your base offense.

If you're playing a really good team that's just having a bad night, I keep scoring because they have the ability to come back and win if you sub too soon.