Best wrestlers never to win state

luchador

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ika2004

Mark Mondelli of ryan. Was a finalist his junior year and was heavily favored to win it his senior year but was disqualified during the State dual championship match for biting, and was unable to wrestle at state. He was a shoe-in to win state that year too.

Guest Rocky145

What about Casey Cotheran of Bradly. A 2X finalist who lost to Voiles his junior year by 2 points and then lost to a no namer his senior year. The guys name does not come to me, but Cotheran was heavily favored. Josh Keller of Bradly. He was killing Dye when he got pinned. Scott Ableson of Baylor was a three time place winner who was favored his senior year. Evan Harris of Baylor was the top seed his senior year before he lost to Craig Johnson in the semis. Cromwell Stewert of Father Ryan was a four time place winner, and a two time finalist who lost to JT Hagen and Provenzano. Jim Casey of Christian Brothers. If Silberman keeps wrestling in Leen's weight he never will. Tim Rowlett of Hixson had to face Mctorry his senior year. Nick Barry of SAS was a 3X finalist.

Guest Rocky145

Ya, by the way, Mark Mondelli was a great wrestler, but I really dout that he would have been able to get through Brian Provenzano of Red Bank, the defending state champ, and Josh Barner of Greenville, that years champion.

Good Call on Jim Casey of CBHS......

the name you are looking for is Angelo Giansante from Lavergne. 140 pound champ in 1997, DRILLED Cothran (unexpectedly, because Cothran was a good one). Giansante had placed a time before.....and finally won it in 97.

Speaking of those that never won it.....anybody remember Rodney and Nick Perkins from Germantown?

How can you call Giansante a no namer? I bet Casey Cothron remembers his name! Giansante controlled the whole match. He placed 3rd his sophomore year and won it his senior, far from being a no namer. He currently is doing very well at MTSU and has a lot to do with some of the recent success of Smyrna.

Nick, yeah maybe. Rodney, no way. Nick had great tilts and a good duck under. He unexpectedly placed second his senior year. Rodney was a thug who couldn't even make weight at the state tournament. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think he even won his region. He quit after his junior year and never came back.

viva la lucha

[Edited by luchador on 3/20/02 12:22P]

Guest Rocky145

I really did not mean he was a no namer like that, he is just a person who never jumped out in my mind as a GREAT wrestler. I knew he drilled Cothran unexpectedly, but I just could not recall the name. Yes, Casey does know his name well, for I know Cothran and he still regrets that match. Cothran actually ended up wrestling him at UTC when they were teammates and got a little revenge. I guess it goes to show that any day a great wrestler can loose if he does not have his head in the match.

hey Lucha-Delgado........LOL Just Kidding, but it is getting a little easier to figure out who you are.

Rodney did quit after missing weight his Junior year...but, if you'll remember, he DID win Region that year, Pinning Hoa Le (another REAL good one--had some Wars with Tim Drinkwine) in the Region Finals.