knoxvillepreps.com Top 10

mobry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would move alcoa up to #5 or move above MO west even make them #4 and move Mo west down a bit...i dunno i dont know to much about Mo west besides they were good 2 years ago ...and ok last year..how are they this year?

825748416[/snapback]

So far so good. 3-0

Swain County, NC W 38 14

Jefferson County W 34 17

at Volunteer ® W 34 6

If you're just going to rank teams based on who has the best record, why even do a poll? Everyone with a lick of sense knows that Catholic HS couldn't beat Alcoa. I can understand perhaps having Central over Alcoa, but Catholic and MoWest over Alcoa is a complete joke. Alcoa beat the defending 3A state champions by 40 points last Friday...Catholic beat AE (who lost to KARNS).

If you're just going to rank teams based on who has the best record, why even do a poll?  Everyone with a lick of sense knows that Catholic HS couldn't beat Alcoa.  I can understand perhaps having Central over Alcoa, but Catholic and MoWest over Alcoa is a complete joke.  Alcoa beat the defending 3A state champions by 40 points last Friday...Catholic beat AE (who lost to KARNS).

825748467[/snapback]

Yes they are defending state champs for a reason and that was they were good last year lol this year 0-3 does not sound like a state championship team but I do agree hardly any of them teams could beat alcoa except Maryville who did and possibly Oak ridge and central for the rest I doubt it would happen.

1)Oak Ridge

2)Maryville

3)Central

4)Alcoa

5)Webb

6)Catholic

7)Powell

8)Farragut

9)Morristown West

10)Loudon

The list looks awfully empty without Austin-East or Fulton on it, but I believe we'll see both teams resurrect themselves by year's end if they can answer tough personnel questions. Having said that, Catholic should win the region with little challenge. Last year's DII-AA classification was a tougher league than Catholic's new region; Briarcrest, Webb, Pope John Paul, and ECS could have all beaten this year's versions of Fulton and Austin-East.

Oak Ridge's recent dominance places them atop the city's rankings, but Maryville is close behind thanks to their perennial ability to constantly reinvent themselves after losing talented graduating classes. Knox Central may very well be able to beat the Rebels, though, and will get its chance at the end of the month. The experienced backfield of Helton and Gaston make the Bobcats a lethal collection of fundamentally sound veterans.

Alcoa does not look like a 2A team. They could easily beat most of the 4A and 5A schools in Knoxville and may have the most talented team in the city. They face a deceptively tough foe this week as they make the trip to Loudon. Early bouts with Maryville and Fulton will easily prepare them to dominate the 2A ranks; if they were a 5A squad and got to prove themselves against all of Knoxville's finest teams, we might very well be able to rank them higher.

Webb is slightly better than Catholic following the Spartans' mauling of a talented Anderson County squad. The Spartan-Irish showdown may be Knoxville's game of the year, but we'll have to wait until October for it. Until then, both teams will cruise against inferior competition and will meet each other with undefeated records and something to prove.

Powell's victory over McCallie solidified the Panthers' legitimacy, and with Cody Watts at the helm, Emory Road's finest are poised to make a run at loosening the chokehold Maryville and Knox Central have on Region 3-4A. Their first chance at a coup comes this Friday at Maryville.

Farragut is riding an emotional whitecap after commandeering Bearden's momentum in the second half of West Knoxville's fiercest rivalry. Expect the Admirals to drop several cannonballs on McMinn County's secondary this week. When they play Powell the following week, they'll see if they've learned to swim among Knoxville's waters -- I think they'll get dunked.

Morristown West and Loudon wouldn't normally belong on any type of top ten list, but find themselves sliding through the backdoor because of Fulton and Austin-East's dismal starts. Loudon has the chance to assert its legitimacy Friday against Alcoa, but MoTown West will remain untested until the playoffs unless teams like West and Greeneville emerge as threats.

This list will change as the season unfolds. I've seen four of these teams play so far, and I hope to catch all of them before the playoffs.

Great Post WesVols and your list looks about right.

Funny how Maryville may end up playing 4 of this early season top ten, an I agree Central and or Powell could beat the Rebels this year. Hate saying that! Ofcourse saying it and doing it have been the rub!

I think Powell belongs in the top 5 and Catholic maybe 9th or 10th IMO.

Great Post WesVols and your list looks about right.

Funny how Maryville may end up playing 4 of this early season top ten, an I agree Central and or Powell could beat the Rebels this year.  Hate saying that!  Ofcourse saying it and doing it have been the rub!

I think Powell belongs in the top 5 and Catholic maybe 9th or 10th IMO.

825748616[/snapback]

I agree that Powell may be better than Catholic, but the Panthers' unimpressive loss to Webb keeps them behind both the Spartans and Irish in my rankings.

If Maryville wins state again this season, it will be because the Rebels were tested early and often by some of East Tennessee's best teams. Region 3-4A looks tougher this year than it has in a long time.