Cumberland Gap @ Claiborne

Shotdoc

Both teams come into this game with 3-1 records. But you know as well as I do, you throw out all the records when two big rivals play each other. Both teams have a common opponent in Chuckey-Doak. Claiborne beat C-D 35-14 and Cumberland Gap beat C-D 53-34. Once again, this game is going to come down to defense. Can the Panthers stop the Bulldog's running game and can Claiborne stop C-G's passing attack. Whoever plays the best defense will win this game, period. C-G had trouble on Friday from what I hear tackling and lining up. They will need to get these things fixed in a hurry if they are to keep up with Claiborne. Claiborne handled Union Co. on Fri.

It's cross-town rivalry time and it should be a dandy!!!! :thumb:

CG-40

Claiborne-24

Panther Pride!!!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt this will be a good game...Big rivalry,living in Tazewell i know how big it is..The only thing is the Chuckey Doak Vs CG game wasnt as close as it appears...It was a blow out actually..It was 40-12 at half...Got up to 47-12 in the 3rd quarter and we called off the dogs and put young guys in...WE showed we did have a run game..CG rushed for about 250 yards and threw for around 200...A lot of the long runs were called back..Sophomore Brad Beason had a 96 yarder called back...He finished with I believe 161 yards on 7 carries and a TD...CG is goin to be very intense in this game,especially on the defensive side...This will be a huge game...Its almost here

C-G gave up a lot of yards to C-D and a lot of points. Yeah they may have scored on your young guys, but your older guys gave up a whole lot of yards. You better be ready to defend against the Claiborne running game. Looking forward to this one this week. I still think that the better defense will win this one. Glad to hear you guys got some rushing yards last week. You'll need em again this week!

CG-40

Claiborne-24

Panther Pride!!!

Just two days away from the "Claiborne County championship". Im looking forward to seeing how focused each of these teams will be come into this one. I'm sure that each team has friends on the other one and those guys will be trying to best each other the whole night. I'm looking for a good clean hard hitting ballgame with a lot of defense on both sides. I'll stick with my prediction on this one though and say that the Panthers will outscore the Bulldogs. But not by as many as I said before!! :blink:

CG-28

Claiborne-21

Panther Pride!!!!

I just wanted to wish both teams the best. I have some good friends on both coaching staffs. Congrats to Coach Liles, doing a great job. Coach if you read this when we bring our Rec league teams over this weekend for the Tazewell Bowl let us play on the high school field. What a great way to show folks in the surrounding communities the work your doing in football. Could be good for the program. Not that coach reads this but someone could let him know that he has a message.

Thanks

This is the game about everyone who watches football in Claiborne county is waiting for.... i went to the CG-CD game... and if Brad Beason has another night light that and CG passes as good as usual then CG wont have to many problems. there is goin to be a lot of emotion played in this game... I know CG has a lot of seniors who have been waiting for this game for a long time... ill definately be at this one so far i havent missed a gap game yet.. and dont plan on it.... but i have to go with gap on this one because even if these teams are evenly matched... CG's seniors are gonna stick it to them and i look for sophmores brad beason and jake shipley to do very well... good luck to both teams i know this one will be remembered for a while..

CG-20

Claiborne-14

This is the game that everyone on both sides of the river dreams about every fall. The hard work in the off-season dosen't mean to much if you can't give it you're all in this war. Cumberland Gap is coming into the game with a record of 3-1, with a 2 point loss against 1A power Coalfield. Claiborne comes in with a record of 3-1 with a 38 point loss to 3A Knox Carter, who is playing great ball. Both C.G. and Claiborne played Chuckey-Doak with the points edge going to Cumberland Gap, but just barely. So the teams seem to be evenly matched going into Friday night.

So whats going to make the difference? One, which coaching staff can make the best defensive adjustments and two, turnovers. Don't get me wrong, one or both staffs might not have to make adjustments if the defense is playing tuff, but its the little things that matter in this game so look to see who makes the right adjustments early. Turnovers, do I even have to explain it?

I've been involved in this rivalry for a long time and that goes for the majority of people on both sides of the river. The players don't like each other, the fans don't like each other, and I am sure their is respect but not a great love between the coaching staffs. Its about keeping your cool, playing hard and smart. So LETS GET THIS GAME ON!

MY PICK:

Cumberland Gap - 20

Claiborne - 7

The reason: C.G. offense (Hoskins passing game) better than Claib. def. backs, Coach Cline better game plan and adjustments than Coach Liles.

Goal is to win the region, dream is to beat your rival.

This should be a very good game.

I've seen both teams in action this season, and both have solid running games. The passing edge goes to Cumberland Gap with Ryan Hoskins, and a very good receiving corps, but keep an eye on Joseph Holt from Claiborne.

I have seen CGHS shut down three of the better running backs in East Tennessee, Brandon Davis of Coalfield, and NeNe Thirakul and Jordan Laws of South Greene. If the kicking game had been ready to rock & roll against Coalfield, the Panthers could have been 4-0 instead of 3-1.

There is no question whether the Gap can stop the running game. Zeth Clemons is the leading tackler in East Tennessee, and may be the statistical best in all of Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia. Therefore I also have to give the defensive edge to Cumberland Gap.

I like Jared Liles quickness and decision making, but he will find a lot of experienced Panthers between him and the goal line. It looks like the Bulldogs will have to force a lot of turnovers, win it with special teams play, or wait one more year to win the River War.

I'm going out on a limb here:

Panthers 35

Bulldogs 14

hey i just wanted to tell everyone to come watch this game..and i just wanted to tell every chs person that runs there mouth :blink: "YOU CAN TAKE THE COUNTY OUTTA CLABORINE BUT YOU CANT THAT THE DONKEY OUTTA TAZEWELL" . Im not saying who i think will win or what the score will be..you wanna know who will win come watch the game..

Panther Pride

Donkey??? :blink: Sounds like an old CCHS joke. But jokes aside, you boys at the Gap better be ready on Friday, I'm sure there will be a huge crowd. I know I'm gonna be there!!! Don't be on here, or anywhere else for that matter talkin smack, let your pads do the talkin for ya on Friday. Good luck to you guys. :thumb:

Panther Pride!!!!