Chuckey-Doak

Hoya

Well although I would absolutely love to be as rude as some of you, I will refrain because I am better than that. But we all know the teams at state are going to be really good. As they should be. We haven't had a soccer program very long, but I believe we are doing pretty good for the lack of experience. And almost everyone on our team doesn't even play soccer until their freshman year. We are very proud of our accomplishments since we are a "little country" team that had such a "cream puff schedule". :thumb: rankings are cool and all but why you have a good team that's not been ranked or noticed coming through beating everyone...don't quote ranks and think that's how the game will be played...furthermore we would not have made it this far if we were "decent" being first in your region means that you've beatin everyone...thus far. But oh well we will see you all in Chattanooga Wednesday cuz we did beat Kingston today. :lol:

Edited by kristicdsoccer9

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well although I would absolutely love to be as rude as some of you, I will refrain because I am better than that. But we all know the teams at state are going to be really good. As they should be. We haven't had a soccer program very long, but I believe we are doing pretty good for the lack of experience. And almost everyone on our team doesn't even play soccer until their freshman year. We are very proud of our accomplishments since we are a "little country" team that had such a "cream puff schedule". :thumb: rankings are cool and all but why you have a good team that's not been ranked or noticed coming through beating everyone...don't quote ranks and think that's how the game will be played...furthermore we would not have made it this far if we were "decent" being first in your region means that you've beatin everyone...thus far. But oh well we will see you all in Chattanooga Wednesday cuz we did beat Kingston today. :P

congratulations making it to states...good luck wednesday and have a safe trip home after the game. ;)

Chuckey-Doak has one more easy game against McNairy Central. But once they win that one, they will FINALLY play a challenging team this season and be brought back down to earth. They'll have the unenviable task of playing the winner of FRA and CCS, the top two powerhouses in A-AA history.

My prediction: Chuckey-Doak loses 7-0.

I know you're number 1 in the region, but nearly any team in the Nashville and Memphis area could win that region.

However, my hat is off to you for having such a great season so early in your program's history.

P.S.

Back to some previous comments, I realize this is not the place for the public-private debate. However, I wanted to respond to the comment that Division I private schools cannot recruit, nor can they offer scholarships. We realize that, but they still need to be moved into Division II with other private schools. Any player can attend their school. Public schools are limited to the players living in their zone (minus those who leave for private and magnet schools) and get punished for having out-of-zone players.

Chew on this:

Not one public school currently in A-AA can say they have played in the championship game. Only Page, Kingston, and Anderson County have even been to the Final 4.

Before this year, only 5 public programs ever made the state tournament. Meanwhile, 27 of those state slots have been filled by private and magnet schools.

I'd like to see an A-AA some day in which a Chuckey-Doak or a Kingston could win the championship instead of it being FRA and CCS year after year.

And this year we have Notre Dame and Catholic making the problem even worse. What a surprise that ND hadn't done anything for years in Division II and is suddenly challenging for the A-AA crown.

Edited by peterw

Chuckey Doak is having a record setting season, and also beat a quality Kingston team to advance to state. Congrats and good luck.

As far as your arguments with public vs. private, you have some valid points. I also think it will be argued over and over again until they do force privates out (I don't think that will happen, but I could be wrong... I never thought they would have a 1.8 multiplier either). I do think that this belongs on the public private thread. The posts that got me a little riled, were the ones that accused all privates of recruiting, but I think you have changed your "tune". I appreciate that. On a side note, and rather random... how in the world do you have over 5,000 posts?

Edited by BigGExpress

How does one have over 5000 posts? That's a lot of internet time.

I didn't ever see the 1.8 multiplier coming either. The problem is that it didn't move a single private school into AAA soccer. It affected baseball and basketball since they have A, AA, and AAA, but had no effect on soccer. Of course the magnet schools slip under the radar under the label of a public school.

Of 31 spots on the A-AA All-State Girls Soccer team last year, 23 were given to private and magnet school players. That really hurts.

If we keep this up, we're going to have to move this thread to the public-private forum.

How does one have over 5000 posts? That's a lot of internet time.

I didn't ever see the 1.8 multiplier coming either. The problem is that it didn't move a single private school into AAA soccer. It affected baseball and basketball since they have A, AA, and AAA, but had no effect on soccer. Of course the magnet schools slip under the radar under the label of a public school.

Of 31 spots on the A-AA All-State Girls Soccer team last year, 23 were given to private and magnet school players. That really hurts.

If we keep this up, we're going to have to move this thread to the public-private forum.

Sorry, I was refferring to timbdp... my mistake. He has over 5,000 posts.

P.S.

Back to some previous comments, I realize this is not the place for the public-private debate. However, I wanted to respond to the comment that Division I private schools cannot recruit, nor can they offer scholarships. We realize that, but they still need to be moved into Division II with other private schools. Any player can attend their school. Public schools are limited to the players living in their zone (minus those who leave for private and magnet schools) and get punished for having out-of-zone players.

Chew on this:

Not one public school currently in A-AA can say they have played in the championship game. Only Page, Kingston, and Anderson County have even been to the Final 4.

Before this year, only 5 public programs ever made the state tournament. Meanwhile, 27 of those state slots have been filled by private and magnet schools.

I'd like to see an A-AA some day in which a Chuckey-Doak or a Kingston could win the championship instead of it being FRA and CCS year after year.

And this year we have Notre Dame and Catholic making the problem even worse. What a surprise that ND hadn't done anything for years in Division II and is suddenly challenging for the A-AA crown.

Thus the 1.8 multiplier placed in by our friends at TSSAA....the highest multiplier in the country ...in an effort to try to get the private schools out of state....FRA and CPA two of the top rated schools going into the tornament have approximately 280 students in the high school. Yet they compete with much larger schools. You should hope that the private schools do not exit the TSSAA...for a multitutde of reasons including a great deal more travel for all district games to find "like competition"......or would you rather have a completely hollow state championship?

Dear flashgordon,

Yes, I realize that FRA, CPA, and CCS all three have very small enrollment. That's what makes it all the more unfair. The fact that they can even compete with AAA schools should illustrate how unbalanced the scales are.

How fair is it to compete against private schools with 125 female students (15 of which are travel soccer players) when you're a public school (in the middle of an area known for soccer talent) with 1000 students and 1 travel player who didn't run off to a private or magnet school?

If every member of the TSSAA could have stood in my shoes when I coached, they'd send the private schools to Division II right now. When I saw 7 travel players go from the middle school right across the street to various private and magnet schools, the frustration was unbelievable. One of those players ended up as the state MVP (and scored a hat trick against us to eliminate us from the playoffs). Another of those girls ended up making the practice squad for the United States Olympic team. These girls lived in our small zone and could have brought home a state championship but were lost to other schools.

You cannot have zoned schools who draw players from a small zone (losing some to private programs) competing against schools that bring in elite players from EVERY zone across a 75-mile radius.

Should the Super Bowl champions be allowed to get even stronger by plucking the best player off of every other team in the NFL? There would be a public outcry.

But we digress.

Edited by peterw

I've been following/involved in Tennessee High School soccer for more years than I care to admit and I don't know that I've ever seen a team that has performed as well as Chuckey-Doak has this year go so completely unrecognized. I realize that their schedule isn't going to set the world on fire. Those girls, however, are one of only two undefeated teams in the entire State in A/AA (at 12-0-0) and they have dominated their competition scoring 48 goals and allowing only 6.

Now, I'm not asking to include them in the Redmond 11, but they should be ranked somewhere in A/AA (as mjuhb has done) based on their performance to date. The true rankings will be established in the playoffs and I suspect they will have substantially more trouble with whoever they play from Region 2 than the teams they have faced so far this season. Nevertheless, Chuckey-Doak deserves some recognition for a very fine season of soccer.

I think that yesterday's semi-final at CCS answered for everyone who saw it the question of "deserving notice and respect"...their play got noticed...mostly by the official....and not much respect for the way they was played.