Franklin v. Brentwood

BigDogDaddy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping this topic would come up! This should be a very good matchup, and I think the key matchup is going to be Mikrut vs. this Bruins defense. Brentwood has not let up many points as of far, and only allowed 14 points to Ravenwood. If Mikrut can lead the offense to a few touchdowns, Franklin should stay in this game. If not, Brentwood rolls.

Was waiting for this thread to be posted- :thumb:

Once again, Franklin and Brentwood tee it up. However, this time, it appears that each will be battling for the second playoff spot rather than the region title. Potentially there could be a share involved, but both of us will need some help from some unexpected sources.

When Tim Johnson was the head coach, the Brentwood fan base knew what to expect. With a new coach, that might change; however, I don't think the fan base will let the rivalry wilt on the vine. The last few games have all been classics going down to the wire. I imagine we should expect the same here.

Franklin is 4-0 the last four games played at James C. Parker Stadium, which is a streak the Bruins would love to stop. Unlike the last time we played, Bruins go into this battle relatively healthy.

If you know this rivalry, it is useless to predict a score. What I will predict will be everyone laying it out on the line.

Interesting footnote to this game.... Williamson County facilities were in the paper today ...seems some weren't happy with Franklin getting a new surface ... County commission looking to micro manage sports facilities within the county??

County commission needs to take note of the sell out crowds between Franklin and Ravenwood, Franklin and Independence, Ravenwood and Brentwood and yes, there will be a beyond capacity crowd at Brentwood Friday nght.

Build it and they will come. County commision needs to take the 5A schools to the 12,000 seat capacity! If we host the premier to Friday Night Lights...we might just want to take a look at the facilities of TX high schools.

Back to the game. My take, having watched Brentwood v Ravenwood on channel 9 is that Brentwoods passing game is diminished from previous years. Not to say that they don't have one, just that running plays a bigger role while Franklin is trying to use the passing game more than in past years (if you can believe that).

Franklin's defensive front is not as strong against the run as in past years, but their secondary has gotten better with every game. My point being that this game should have a little different look to it than in years past.

Should be a great night

Interesting footnote to this game.... Williamson County facilities were in the paper today ...seems some weren't happy with Franklin getting a new surface ... County commission looking to micro manage sports facilities within the county??

Since you brought it up:

Count me as one who is and was not happy.

You and I both know that the real power in the county is with the commission.

The Brentwood community is saddled with ineffective and outnumbered representation, and has been for years. The prevailing sentiment has been among the bodies "Well, Brentwood is rich, they can afford it themselves." While other schools have had fields resodded, sprinklers installed, new bleachers, new lighting, and other athletic amenities, both of the high schools in Brentwood have serious issues that always seem to be put on the back burner. That's political reality, and it needs some shaking up.

I can only speak to the issues at BHS with our facilities; as it relates to the specific issue of a new surface for the 23 year old football field, the field at Brentwood is used by both BMS and BHS, and up until two years ago, both school's soccer programs. Any attempt at regrading has been done at our own expense.

We have asked for a regrade for years and have consistently been turned down, or told "spend your own money." The sprinkler system is broken, the parts no longer manufactured, and has to be manually manipulated. The BHS 12th Man Club absorbs the manpower and material costs for both schools-yet, in our view, Franklin gets "blessed" with improvements while we lag-mainly because of where we live. As a taxpayer and home owner, this inequity is getting larger and more in my community are making their views known.

I am not looking for special treatment-only equity. When you come to our field, squint to see through the horrible lighting, eat at the outmoded concession stand, utilize our many port-a-johns, and I hope the Franklin coaches who call the game have a protective harness that will keep them from going through the floor of a condemned press box. But at least they'll have better sight lines than our coaches in our new press box, built on the wrong-ordered-yet-installed-by-the-same- company-now-bankrupt- football stands (Courtesy of the Board of Education).

Back to football - and off the political soap box! (not that your views are not respected - just prefer your insights to this storied match up!!)

Great game as usual - all the drama, packed house, just not for the top spot in the region, but bragging rights all the same!

Mikrut will have to make smart decisions in this game in order for the offense to work.

Mcurdy will need to take this game on his shoulders - and he has the shoulders to do that.

Looking forward to being at another clssic battle (just a little less dramatic than the past 3 years with my son graduated)

I don't think either McCurdy or Mikrut have lived up to their potential yet. Thats not to say that they haven't played well, its just that both athletes are capable of taking the reigns and running away with the ball game. I haven't seen the Blackman game or looked at the stats, maybe McCurdy had a stellar game. Both of these coaches know how to put the game in the hands of these two talents and since its early in the season I guess we are going to see more of the "team concept" Ravenwood has to put it in the hands of Jennings and obviously he has responded.

Last few games of Brentwood v. Franklin, Brentwood has shot themselves in the foot with stupid penalties. False starts being the biggest problem. Turnovers, penalties and who wins in the trenches should dictate this game more than one or two big plays.

Edited by BigDogDaddy