Covington No. 1 in 3A

Cam4747

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game just goes to show that Covington is not near as good as people gave them credit for. I'm not trying to take anything away from OC, but people here thought this game was a gimmie. The Chargers have a huge problem with holding onto the football, and I've never seen a more fumble prone team in my life. The defense as well as the kicking game are the only facets that seem to show up week in and week out, except for tonight. It will really be interesting to see how Covington bounces back against a title contender in Dyersburgh next week. I really hope for our boys sake they get it together or they are really going to get it handed to them by the Trojans.

Covington is ranked No. 1 in Class 3A for the first time in several years. They've beaten some quality teams like Haywood, Brighton and Raleigh-Egypt, and have a possible showdown with No. 2 Dyersburg next Friday. They have a rich tradition with two finals and one semifinals appearance the last five years. Still, it seems like their name rarely comes up when discussing the best teams in the state. Why is that?

The Chargers had the complete attention of the Rebels....

Remember, when Obion last beat Covington, (the first of only two defeatsi=in region 7 in eight years, thank OC!! :thumb: ) Covington went on to the 'boro.

They were defeated but still went. Good game OC. Love the stadium and atmosphere. Just hope it was the wake up call The Chargers needed. Now the no. 1 target is off their back. Hope to see OC in the playoffs.Good Game!!!

GO CHARGERS!!!!!

I hate to say I told you so....what am I talking about? I love to say I told you so......

Everyone except OC thought this would be a walk in the park for covington. The No. 1 team against a 2-3 team. But what people dont realize about OC is that they have lost two of those games by a margin of 3 and 1. They could easily have been 4-1 going into last nights game. Now at 3-3 I think people are starting to realize that the Rebels are alot better team than everyone gave them credit for.

GO REBELS!!! :thumb:

Haha Covington will get plenty after getting embaressed by Obion Co...... :thumb: ...don't worry about that haha.....they'll prolly be ranked about....7th in the dirty dozen

You pretty well have to live in the Jackson area to be ranked high unless you are undefeated..U.S.J was 1-4 before winning last night but was ranked 9th..Trenton and U.S.J. beat them pretty soundly..I believe Trenton is also ranked pretty high ..I believe Union City and Lake Co both are better than either of those two teams..

You pretty well have to live in the Jackson area to be ranked high unless you are undefeated..U.S.J was 1-4 before winning last night but was ranked 9th..Trenton and U.S.J. beat them pretty soundly..I believe Trenton is also ranked pretty high ..I believe Union City and Lake Co both are better than either of those two teams..

I agree it dose help your rankings if you live in the town in which the paper is printed....you get ALOT more exposer....but i don't know which poll you were talking about they were ranked 9th in? maybe of all the teams in jackson lol :thumb:

To be honost, it really doesn't matter where the sportswritters or fans or anyone else for that matter thinks a team should be ranked. Case and point, an underrated OC team knocking off an overrated Charger squad. The polls are nothing but a distraction for the players as well as a discussion starter for the fans. My point is that I have no earthly idea how these coaches across the state can vote for another team to be number one when they have no idea what the team is about other than their record. Besides that you can throw the polls out once the season starts because 9 times out of 10 a team ranked at the top to start a season will not be there at the end. One last thing, these local sports pages ie. the dirty dozen as well as the dandy dozen out of Memphis rarely have teams ranked where they deserve. They are home town biased so therefore not needed especially since they are so horribly off most of the time. A poll is nothing more than a number than can easily be erased, so why not wait till the dust is settled before putting a number 1 on a highschool team.

To be honost, it really doesn't matter where the sportswritters or fans or anyone else for that matter thinks a team should be ranked. Case and point, an underrated OC team knocking off an overrated Charger squad. The polls are nothing but a distraction for the players as well as a discussion starter for the fans. My point is that I have no earthly idea how these coaches across the state can vote for another team to be number one when they have no idea what the team is about other than their record. Besides that you can throw the polls out once the season starts because 9 times out of 10 a team ranked at the top to start a season will not be there at the end. One last thing, these local sports pages ie. the dirty dozen as well as the dandy dozen out of Memphis rarely have teams ranked where they deserve. They are home town biased so therefore not needed especially since they are so horribly off most of the time. A poll is nothing more than a number than can easily be erased, so why not wait till the dust is settled before putting a number 1 on a highschool team.

Excellent post.I wish they would do away with polls altogether.The only thing that matters is the team left standing at the end of the year.