Playoff Question

Pauladcc

No maam they weren't in region 4 ,they played teams from region 6&7....Goodpasture played Trenton-Peabody in round 2, Westview in the quarters, Huntingdon in the semi's and lost to Knox-Webb in the finals. Goodpasture represented the west then which would have put them in Region 5.

Goodpasture and East Robertosn were with Lipscomb last year, which was Region 4. Lipscomb lost to Alcoa in the semis. They were on the east side of the bracket.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region 5 is definitely different and better this year than previous years. Top 6 teams are best top 6 of any region in 2A.

But I believe Huntington is probably the class of both Region 5 & 7. Will they go to finals? Who knows? After 2 rounds in the tourney, upsets are very likely.

I will say that Region 5 will improve each year with the addition of CPA, DCA, Ezell, FRA. Should be class region in state year in and year out with some state champs coming soon. Probably not this year with Alcoa very tough, but maybe even as soon as next year with both CPA and DCA very young this year.

We can get into the same argument over and over again about how West Tn doesn't have to schedule up to get competition because they have plenty right in their own backyards but I'll save my fingers and spare everyone else a fruitless argument that we will agree to disagree on.

I am sorry Huntingdon, Westview, Milan or Camden has not played someone of Riverdale or MBA's caliber in the last five years and I would say even longer than that. And if you think the teams you play from West Tennessee are juts as good as competition ar those two and more than it just proves that my assumptions are right of West Tennessee fans. How about you guys step up and go play some teams above your classification and see how good the rest of TN is, instead of just playing in your little 2A bubble.

I am sorry Huntingdon, Westview, Milan or Camden has not played someone of Riverdale or MBA's caliber in the last five years and I would say even longer than that. And if you think the teams you play from West Tennessee are juts as good as competition ar those two and more than it just proves that my assumptions are right of West Tennessee fans. How about you guys step up and go play some teams above your classification and see how good the rest of TN is, instead of just playing in your little 2A bubble.

Just because one BRAND NEW member of your region once played Riverdale doesn't mean that the region plays the toughest schedule in the state. Best I can tell outside of CPA playing a somewhat down MBA team this year, no one else in the region is stepping outside to play anyone of merit. Unless you call Fairview playing 2 3A and 1 4A schools with a combined 3-19 record stepping up. Huntingdon, Milan and WEstview have consistently played each other in regular season even when they were in opposing disctricts. Huntingdon has played Lexington, Liberty, Henry County: Milan has played Crockett Co. and JCM and Westview has played Obion and others who are all higher classifications. So how does that make Region 5 tougher? 5 has been weak for the last several years--it's stronger now simply because of the multiplier rule and the influx of the Nashville private schools. They will be tough to handle come playoff time, but i can guarantee that whoever comes out of 5 and 6 will have all they can handle out of the 7/8 survivor. West Tennessee fans know enough about statewide football to know that the old region 5 wasn't on the same level. All those gold balls you speak of by the "new' region 5 was won at the single a level except for Goodpasture. You need to read the history books a little closer and realize that teh world doesn't end at the Tennessee river. We play pretty good football over here as the last several years have proven.

Just ask USJ, which teams are better and have better coaching and they will tell you that it is those old little private schools. I never said Fairview played a real tough schedule, but I guess you don't consider 10-0 Hillwood last year a tough opponent, or Goodpasture playing Pope John Paul II a tough task, I can name more if you would like. Read my post I said Region 5 of the past was weak and couldn't compete with the likes of the West Tennessee schools, but it is a brand new ball game name, and we got a nice little public school in East Robertson that will make some noise come playoff time, so it isn't just the privates. Yeah and go ahead and take you stabs at Fairview, they are sitting 6th in the region and have to win out just to make the playoffs.

Thank you so much Brewvol for making my point and I swore I was not going to get into this with Gerry but.....allow me to further educate the "Guru" of Middle and Eastern TN football ...

You throw CPA's decision to play way up at us....so ok if they are playing WAY up then how do you explain these away:?

A. Even with MBA on CPA's schedule, CPA has a strength of schedule ranking of #22 in 2a ball.

B. Hmmm...now what was that about Huntingdon, Milan and Westview not stepping up and playing "hard" ball in the last 5 years? Seems to me since Huntingdon now carries the #3 strength of schedule ranking this year, along with the #4 ranking last year, the number #5 ranking in 2003 and the #8 spot in 2002 that they MUST BE PLAYING SOME DECENT COMPETITION and it seems to be getting more difficult every year.

C.Oh yes and let's not forget about Milan's #1 ranking last year, Westview's #1 ranking the year before that...so no it doesn't look like they play tough competition either.

D. Last but not least, lowly Camden that although doesn't have a very impressive strength of schedule ranking this year because of the region they were placed in, still decided to (on a lark of course :thumb: ) schedule for their only two non-region games the #1 and #6 rated teams in strength in the state.

I don't know Gerry sounds like to me we all play patsy schedules compared to Region 5 now doesn't it?

Edited by Lions4ever

Just ask USJ, which teams are better and have better coaching and they will tell you that it is those old little private schools. I never said Fairview played a real tough schedule, but I guess you don't consider 10-0 Hillwood last year a tough opponent, or Goodpasture playing Pope John Paul II a tough task, I can name more if you would like. Read my post I said Region 5 of the past was weak and couldn't compete with the likes of the West Tennessee schools, but it is a brand new ball game name, and we got a nice little public school in East Robertson that will make some noise come playoff time, so it isn't just the privates. Yeah and go ahead and take you stabs at Fairview, they are sitting 6th in the region and have to win out just to make the playoffs.

Well, we shall all find out come playoff time.

Lions4ever, do some research on the strength ranking, it is very flawed. For example Boyd Buchanan has a strength of schedule rank of 17th but they have played teams such as Baylor, Fulton, Gordon Lee, and Red Bank. Sounds like a tougher schedule to me than anything West of Boyd Buchanan. Fulton isn't as ranked as high because they have loses to Alcoa and Austin East, so basically in this poll teams get punished for playing better competition. Go ahead and put your opinion in with a very flawed poll, next thing you are going to tell me that the AP poll is the best poll in the state.