Tobacco Illegal on Football Field

Sarah Beth

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regardless of what YOU think is right or wrong......

someone, somewhere, maybe at work, maybe at home, maybe "up there', sits in judgment.......

the meaning of "character" and "integrity" have never changed.....

for some reason, we are always trying to apply our own definition of "character" and "integrity".......and in the end, we are judged by the true meaning, and not by our definition....

Yes. Exactly. The difference is I admit it.

You make an excellent point, BTW!! :huh:

In an attempt to move this discussion in a productive direction, I've got a few questions (they are meant to cause people to think - not to attack you specifically - bear with me.)

Do you ever speed in a school zone? If so, is it 5mph over? 40mph over?

Do you ever speed on foggy nights? Or rainy days? How much over the limit do you speed during bad weather?

Do you speed more than 30mph over the limit when you have other people in the car with you?

If you get caught speeding, do you accept responsibility or do you get angry and indignant?

My point is that we all choose what rules we obey and how we obey them...hopefully we use some measure of judgement and we consider the possible consequences of our actions on others. This doesn't make it right or okay, though, especially if we have influence over other people. To pretend otherwise is kinda goofy.

In an attempt to move this discussion in a productive direction, I've got a few questions (they are meant to cause people to think - not to attack you specifically - bear with me.)

Do you ever speed in a school zone? If so, is it 5mph over? 40mph over?

Do you ever speed on foggy nights? Or rainy days? How much over the limit do you speed during bad weather?

Do you speed more than 30mph over the limit when you have other people in the car with you?

If you get caught speeding, do you accept responsibility or do you get angry and indignant?

My point is that we all choose what rules we obey and how we obey them...hopefully we use some measure of judgement and we consider the possible consequences of our actions on others. This doesn't make it right or okay, though, especially if we have influence over other people. To pretend otherwise is kinda goofy.

Very good points. I think the reason that TSSAA gets so little respect from many corners, however, is that they often seem to enforce their own rules arbitrarily and without any sense of reason. They too, should show common sense.

I have, and do teach my kids what's appropriate. I don't give a hoot what a coach does on his own time. But I do expect any coach to set an example by following TSSAA rules. Don't you?

I repeat my question...what other TSSAA rules are optional?

The best post yet!

I used to work with kids and the best thing you can do for a child is to set a good example. Most active members here are also active parents but there are way more kids who have no active parents to set that example and do the parenting.

Lot's of kids figure "if he can, I can" and that's just a reality.

Athletes can and do at times, spend more time with their teachers and coaches than with their parents.

Does the fact that people do what they are going to do make it all ok?

And I would also like to add that more boys than not look up to their coaches and put them on a pedistal, right or wrong, it's fact.

"Coaches follow the rule and parents don't have to worry about counteracting your influence."

"...parents dont have to worry..." You once again put the blame and the pressure on the coach to make sure your child knows right from wrong. Your letting a total stranger,and I say stranger because how many parents actually know there kids coach, possibly dictate what your child does in his or her life. Regardless of what the coach or teacher does, it is the parents responsibility to make sure thier child does the right thing.

If my kids start dipping today I can not go to the coach and blame him for it. He is there to coach football not raise my child!! :thumb:

I am a coach and a parent and I expect the coach to follow the rules. To me it has nothing to do with anything but that. Believe it or not but part of a coaches job is to help raise your child. He has influence and is with your child a portion of every day and what he does influences your child whether you want to believe it or not. It is part of the responsibility that goes with coaching.

I am a coach and a parent and I expect the coach to follow the rules. To me it has nothing to do with anything but that. Believe it or not but part of a coaches job is to help raise your child. He has influence and is with your child a portion of every day and what he does influences your child whether you want to believe it or not. It is part of the responsibility that goes with coaching.

Follow the rules yes. Once again though America was built on folks not following those rules to the letter. Its sometimes good to cross that line. Rules can be interpreted many different ways sometimes.

I am not a coach but I have coached, Jr Pro. I do not feel like I raised any of those kids. I feel my job was to teach those kids the basics of football. Not the basics of life. I still feel it lies with the parents to teach the values they want there child to learn. Its not your responsibility as a coach to teach these things. What if,as a parent, I don't agree with your "raising'? You still belive that its ok to teach my child YOUR values? I will agree that a coach/coaches, and teachers will influence a child. It is my resposibility as a parent to know what those influences are and if I disagree, instill my values on my child. In other words..raise my own child not let the neighborhood do it.

Follow the rules yes. Once again though America was built on folks not following those rules to the letter. Its sometimes good to cross that line. Rules can be interpreted many different ways sometimes.

I am not a coach but I have coached, Jr Pro. I do not feel like I raised any of those kids. I feel my job was to teach those kids the basics of football. Not the basics of life. I still feel it lies with the parents to teach the values they want there child to learn. Its not your responsibility as a coach to teach these things. What if,as a parent, I don't agree with your "raising'? You still belive that its ok to teach my child YOUR values? I will agree that a coach/coaches, and teachers will influence a child. It is my resposibility as a parent to know what those influences are and if I disagree, instill my values on my child. In other words..raise my own child not let the neighborhood do it.

Bronc,

Just a couple points with what you said. If it is OK to break the rule in question (because America was built on folks not following those rules to the letter. Its sometimes good to cross that line. Rules can be interpreted many different ways sometimes) then is it OK to teach spearing or some other illegal tactic to the football players? When is it ok to break the rules and when is it not?

I agree that parents are responsible for raising their kids. To me it has nothing to do with the use of smokless tobacco but it has to do with it is against the rules put down by TSSAA. As a coach one of my values is that it is not OK to teach breaking the rules. No kid that I coached will ever be able to say that wheter it is dipping or spearing.