Cpa @ East Robertson

ut18vols

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The newspaper credited ER's defense for holding CPA to only 48 yards in the 2nd half. Actually, ER held a very weak and injury depleted CPA offense. CPA's defense was really much more impressive against a good ER offense.

Here ia an interesting fact about the game ( I think I am correct):

ER time of possession in the 3rd quarter was about 11:50. CPA ran one play and it was an intercepted pass. Despite that, CPA outscored ER 9-7 in the quarter and 17-7 in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half alone, CPA forced 2 safeties, had an interception for a TD, blocked a FG, and blocked a punt.

Edited by divepix

For some reason I'm pretty confused by the TSSAA rules, if this happens is DCA region champion because their overall record would be best at 8-2?

Not 100% sure, should a 4 way tie happen, DCA and GP would have lost to two of the other three teams tied while ER and CPA would have beaten two of the other three. If the tie break goes straight to overall record to seed #1, then DCA would be #1 seed for playoffs. Would not make them region champs but co champs.

It was a real good game. If though we didn't play as good as we could (East), I do have to give to CPA for holding our passing yards to 62 that is unheard of for us.

I will say that east has GREATLY improved this year but i wouldn't let your heads get too big .... because the in the playoffs its a whole different ballgame

Jo Byrns wouldn't even make the playoffs if the regions were the same as last year. It would be DCA, Ezell, CPA, & Davidson Academy.

That shows just how crappy 1A is this year.

How u gonna say that Jo Byrns wouldnt make the playoffs when they beat east and they have a good chance to win the region this week. Dont say East wasnt ready to play JBS because its the biggest rivalry of the year and it was there homecoming so i dont want to here that excuse. JBS would make the playoffs in region 5-2a so dont talk smack about a team that u know nothing about.

How u gonna say that Jo Byrns wouldnt make the playoffs when they beat east and they have a good chance to win the region this week. Dont say East wasnt ready to play JBS because its the biggest rivalry of the year and it was there homecoming so i dont want to here that excuse. JBS would make the playoffs in region 5-2a so dont talk smack about a team that u know nothing about.

We will never know, but IMO they would not be in the top four if the region had not changed.

Divepix says:

"CPA gets the ball back and is driving again when they get a penalty in ER's territory after a good run, so it stalls the drive. They punt and down the ball on ER's 4. CPA plays great defense, but Tico reverses field after being stopped on a run and runs about 80 yards before being pushed out of bounds. ER's Hudson scores on a sweep after a penalty and it appears CPA was going to hold. 14-0 ER and that's the halftime score.

CPA kicks off and holds ER, forcing a punt. Bad snap that eventually rolls out of the end zone for a safety. 14-2 ER. CPA gets ball after safety and scores on a nice drive. 14-9 ER.

CPA gets the ball after the safety at about the 50, but just cannot generate any big plays and on 4th down, the CPA receiver appears to be interfered with on a well thrown pass that would have been first down, but the refs don't call it. I didn't have a great look at it, but the CPA receiver was very upset that there was no call made." :P

It was really a great high school game and credit needs to be given to CPA's defense. They were the best we've seen this year, no doubt. But if you are going to start whining about penalties, don't leave out the ridiculous fair catch call on CPA's drive to score their first touchdown. Without that call CPA doesn't score on that drive. Everyone in the stands and on the field saw that the receiver was BOTH out of bounds and not in control of the ball. Channel 2 showed the play on their late night show -- it was a terrible miss by the ref and both announcers on Channel 2 said as much. As for the pass interference in the 4th quarter, my opinion is if they missed that then it got evened out by the interference penalty called on Carlos Hudson in the first quarter. He hit the receiver as he was catching the ball, not before, but got called for the penalty anyway. Also the score at half was ER 22 - CPA 9.

Give ER some credit :thumb: -- we have a team which has beat everyone's expectations, except maybe their own! Good luck CPA against Goodpasture. Your coach was a great example after the game.

Edited by margotfos

Congradulations E.R. on a great win. You do deserve credit on a tough fought victory. Also credit is due on a great enviroment for high school football. While any loss in a tight game with such major implications is tough to swallow it was not bitter because of the all around class shown by your fans and players. I would think after what you have accomplished so far this year that there will not be any complaints from East Robertson about the public vs. private debate. What great competition for this region as a whole! Good luck in the playoffs. Hopefully we will get there as well.

It's really a shame that CPA or Ezell will be out of the playoffs. One interception back, one safety that we fell on in the end zone and CPA would be in. By the way, brilliant play by an ER player to knock the blocked punt out of the back of the end zone. CPA could have had a touchdown. That guy should be your valedictorian! CPA can do it this week, IMO. Can't remember the last time we didn't make the playoffs. GO LIONS!!