William And Whit

BuckLateral

Just received the following e-mail from the father of former Franklin Road Academy three time state qualifier Michael Heim, who is in his first year at West Point along with Whit Dunning and William Simpson (Mike is not wrestling for the academy, but did wrestle in the intra-regimental wrestling competition ( 8 companies) and held up Tennessee's wrestling reputation at the Point by winning all 10 of his matches, 9 pins and a decision. Looks like both William and Whit are doing well for freshmen( or plebes, or whatever they call them).

......................................................................................................................

According to West Point's wrestling roster, Whit is moving up to 133 while

William Simpson is still listed at 125. Simpson will have to wrestle-off

Travis Featherstone, a sophomore who was 15-14 last season.

The Whit gets to wrestle-off Tyler Howard, 3-time Oklahoma state champ, for

the spot. Howard was at USMAPS last season with William Simpson. Here are

the Army bios on the two.

THE WHIT: 5-7/ 133 High School: Graduated from Father Ryan High School in

2005 ... three-time state champion ... four-time placewinner at the state

tournament ... amassed an impressive 141-20 career record ... ranked as high

as 10th nationally by W.I.N. Magazine ... placed fourth at 119 pounds at the

NHSCA Senior National Championships to earn All-America status.

Howard: 5-5/ 133 High School: Graduated from Collinsville High School in

2004 ... attended USMAPS in 2004-05 ... a three-time Oklahoma state champion

... authored a brilliant 144-4 record during his four years at Collinsville

... forged a 39-1 mark as a sophomore en route to winning the state crown

... put together back-to-back 37-0 campaigns in capturing state titles as a

junior and senior ... earned additional varsity letters in baseball, soccer

and football ... went 13-10 at USMAPS last season.

Will be interesting to see what develops. The intra-squad Black-Gold match is

November 6th.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear about more of our TN boys stepping up and preparing to get it done on the mat for West Point. I think I remember catching some footage of Featherstone last year, pretty good record for a true freshman. William will definitely have his work cut out for him but no doubt that he can handle it. On Whit's wrestleoff it should be very interesting. Both bring in some pretty hefty state level credentials but Whit seems to have the better national rep although I am not sure what kind of competition the get at USMAPS... I imagine that William should be able to give Whit some inside info on Howard if they were together at USMAPS, he probably saw plenty of him in the room.

Now on a totally other subject... does 133 seem a bit large for Whit? I mean he was at 119 last year. Yes of course he was cutting but I would have thought 125 would have been a more natural fit. Does Whit see a better chance of beating Howard as compared to Featherstone or is there another reason he is going to 133? I hope he is filled out enough for that weight because I would love to see him kicking some rear at the college level. No doubt he has got the ability.

WrestleSBA, Hello to the left side of the state. Since you live over there maybe you could get some information about Whitt and William from their uncle Jonathan at Germantown. It does seem intersting that Whitt is going 133 and William is going 125. I went to the USMAPS website and saw where William went 133 last year. What the heck is going on? Seems like both these boys have their work cut out for themselves this year. Another question SBA, did you guys get to attend the Army wrestling camp this year in Nashville? I was wondering what people thought about this years camp.

WrestleSBA, Hello to the left side of the state. Since you live over there maybe you could get some information about Whitt and William from their uncle Jonathan at Germantown. It does seem intersting that Whitt is going 133 and William is going 125. I went to the USMAPS website and saw where William went 133 last year. What the heck is going on? Seems like both these boys have their work cut out for themselves this year. Another question SBA, did you guys get to attend the Army wrestling camp this year in Nashville? I was wondering what people thought about this years camp.

Takedown,

Actually I think I will poke Jonathan about it. Just pure speculation on my part but being family the may have talked with each other about it and decided that the best chance for both of them to make the team was William at 125 and Whit at 133 based on different factors. Maybe William knows he couldn't beat Howard based on their time together at MAPS and decided to drop to 125. This leaves Whit with possibly wrestling off a family member at 125 or going to 133 (where he would undoubtedly be cutting less weight) and wrestle someone he believes he can beat. Another scenerio is that William and Whit could have wresteld off with each other to see who claims 133 and the loser cuts... of course all of that is pure speculation by me but knowing the way wrestling works neither would surprise me.

In regards to to Army wrestling camp, no none of our kids were able to attend that I am aware of (someone might have slipped in and not told me). We attended several other camps throughout the summer and the Army camp just didn't have to many of my kids jumping to go. However, I know a few people who went from other schools who thought the camp was very good. THey liked the fact it had a local flavor with some of the clinicians and felt they picked up a lot of improvements from it.

The inside poop is that Whitt had a "walking around weight" of about #145 before he reported to boot camp. I understand that he could not go below about #129 with the NCAA certification process. Remember that freshmen have to certify 2X @ The United States Military Academy and this alone makes sucking weight very difficult. Why would anyone feel that William is trying to avoid Tyler Howard since he defeated him last year at the prep school challange matches and forced Howard to bump up one weight classification. Heck, Featherstone is a more seasoned wrestler than Howard is, so William probably will have the more difficult road to breaking the starting rotation. Look for Whitt & Howard to have a war and the challange matches could be won by them or another wrestler. The USMA has some great plebes and cadets in their program.

Edited by cbg

First of all it is Whitt not Whit.He hit the mid forties this summer. He anjoyed a few burgers and lived a little. But getting to 133 was not a problem. Strength wise He has developed a his upper body alot. From what I hear he has a strong shot at 133 and he feels good abt it

Edited by irishdad

Irishdad,

I can't believe you came back! I thought you would have retired with #1 son. By the way how is #1 son? Hope he is doing well. For that matter how are you? Did you have to go to a detox center for wrestling withdraws? Just kiddin! This place wouldn't be the same without your prognostications. I am a little surprise that "The Whit" has grown this big over the summer. Can you confirm what cbg says about Howard, in that William beat him last year. If so, that bodes well for our Tennessee boys. Also, any news on the elder Simpson at Army?

Great to hear about Tenn wrestlers doing well at the college level.

SBA, where are you? You made some comments about the kids at Army, cbg clarified what you were trying to say, however, you have not responded. I figured you being on the west side you would be able to give what is really going on after talking to one of the Simpson's in Memphis. We don't have that opportunity over here.

I thought on another post somebody defended you saying you have the right of free speech? I agree with this as long as it is accurate info.

cbg, what is your connection? You seem to know allot about the service academies? Thank you for keeping us straight or are you just stating what you surmize? Come clean cgb, how do you know so much.

SBA, come down to the wrestle off's and see what real wrestling (Moc wrestling) is all about.

After reading some of the other post, it looks like we may have many wrestlers to follow at the NCAA's. This is great for the whole state.

Good luck to all of our wrestlers.

Edited by hespinnedref

hespinnedref,

I got my information from both the King (Mr. Simpson) & Queen (Mrs. Simpson) of Tennessee wrestling. It's amazing what information you can get in a grocery store checkout line. One thing that you have to keep in mind; as you may know it's not wise to ask Mrs. Simpson anything if you are not prepared for her opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great to hear about Tenn wrestlers doing well at the college level.

SBA, where are you? You made some comments about the kids at Army, cbg clarified what you were trying to say, however, you have not responded. I figured you being on the west side you would be able to give what is really going on after talking to one of the Simpson's in Memphis. We don't have that opportunity over here.

I am still here. Just busy and not following all of the topics until night a lot of days. As far as being able to come up with what is happening based on talking with our Left Side Simpsons I would love to but haven't been able to get in touch with Jonathan via e-mail for a few days (although my e-mails have been about wrestling business here in the West). I should at least see him next Thursday and will see if I can pick his brain then. Of course let's not forget that their are plenty of Simpsons in the Middle.

I thought on another post somebody defended you saying you have the right of free speech? I agree with this as long as it is accurate info.

Right of free speech is definitely being practiced and when I know something definite I will share. If I throw out any more speculations I will do as I always do, call them speculations.

SBA, come down to the wrestle off's and see what real wrestling (Moc wrestling) is all about.

Man would I love to be there. I know many of the kids who will be going for the spots, not to mention just sheer interest in our main wrestling team in TN, but alas my coaching duties will keep me on the left side of the state. The middle school kids have a tournament that day and I will be running around like a chicken with my head cutoff just trying to make sure there is someone in their corner.

After reading some of the other post, it looks like we may have many wrestlers to follow at the NCAA's. This is great for the whole state.

Good luck to all of our wrestlers.

Amen to that. Let's support all of our homegrown talent along withall of our adopted talent at UTC, Kings, Cumberland, MTSU, and all the others I am skipping over.

Edited by WrestleSBA