Playoff Football vs Bowl Games

cbg

Would it make for a better season if each region only took the top 2 teams to the football playoffs? This would eliminate any chance of a team with a loosing record making the playoffs and make it be very special for a team to get into the state football playoffs. The bowl games would be for teams that have 7+ wins during the season that don't qualify for the playoffs. The communities that wish to sponsor a bowl game could make some money as could the schools that participate. In the past the bowl game people treat both teams like kings by giving them jackets, caps, shirts, rings, etc...

Edited by cbg

In 2003, CAK finished fourth in thier region, but made it to the semifinal round. The next year, Coalfield finished third in their region, but made it to the semifinal round. Both teams lost to Boyd-Buchanan in the semifinals, but they were only one win away from the title game. Those are just two that I'm familiar with since they played Boyd, but I'm sure that there are lots of teams in playoff history to go that far and farther, maybe winning it all without finishing first or second in their region. In some regions, there's not much difference in the top four teams . For example, you may have a three-way tie for second. Each of those teams would deserve a shot. The current playoff system works, because the best teams rise to the top, regardless of their seeding.

As far as preventing teams with losing records going to the playoffs (there's another topic about this somewhere), that would cause every one to schedule the easiest possible games throughout the season, and would punish teams with tough schedules. Take Boyd for example: 3-1 in their region, 4-6 overall. Non-region losses included Baylor, Red Bank, Fulton & Cookeville. A team with that kind of schedule would be unfairly punished.

Edited by BnL

Would it make for a better season if each region only took the top 2 teams to the football playoffs? This would eliminate any chance of a team with a loosing record making the playoffs and make it be very special for a team to get into the state football playoffs. The bowl games would be for teams that have 7+ wins during the season that don't qualify for the playoffs. The communities that wish to sponsor a bowl game could make some money as could the schools that participate. In the past the bowl game people treat both teams like kings by giving them jackets, caps, shirts, rings, etc...

I really like this idea. Sure, there's always some team that finished 3rd or 4th in the season, yet they end up doing good in the playoffs, but with this system it would put more emphasis on the season games. A team would have to be more competitive all year long, and not just show up to play in november. Bowl games would also be good. As it is right now, out of 32 pretty good teams, all with pretty good seasons, 31 of them will end their season with a loss. Bowl games would allow more teams to end their season with a big win. However, even tho this is a great idea, i highly doubt the T$$AA would look into it. They are able to raise ticket prices to 7 dollars a game during the playoff games. I'm not sure how much of this goes to the tssaa, but i'm sure its a pretty good chunk. They've got to be makin' a ton of money, with more than 150 playoff games every year.