Would I be the right size for a half back?

Dk_Panther22

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are 2 other freshman backs that are little bigger than me.One of them VERY Athletic,just asking one other thing.What exercise helps get u REALLY speedy?Thanks again

Where do you live? There are new facilities popping up around TN. D1 in Knoxville; Velocity Sports in Chattanooga. Memphis and Nashville are so large, I assume that they have similar companies, possibly these same franchises. Anyway, these companies work with young athletes...middle school to college. Their goal is to help kids improve speed, strength, and agility. Look in to it. It works.

McEwen[/url]Football77' post='825814905' date='Nov 5 2005 - 04:59 PM']

just remember size aint nothing but a thing. sure it helps but some of the better runners are little and shifty. if you do some cone drills all during the offseason it will help...what school do you go to?

alot depends on the level you play at... at 1a one of the best running backs in upper east TN is adam townsend of hampton.. i think he is around 5'7 and 165.. fast, agile and shifty..

I go to cghs(cumberland gap),there really pushing people to play football.Was going to play this year but i got talked out of it.If all the boys up there played(A LOT of them would make great football players) cghs would have a much better team.Everyday I go outside and run forever and lift.I can catch just about ANYTHING threw at me too but everyone says that hb would be better because i can get around people good.

Next year I am trying out for the football team and I was wondering if I wasabout the right size for a half back(I'm a freshman right now).I weigh 150 and I'm either 5 10' or 5 9' . Thanks if u answer my question...

You are if your coach knows how to coach size.

Edited by saywhat?

Next year I am trying out for the football team and I was wondering if I wasabout the right size for a half back(I'm a freshman right now).I weigh 150 and I'm either 5 10' or 5 9' . Thanks if u answer my question...

It really doesn't matter about your size like the old saying goes its not the size of the dog its the size of the fight in the dog. I know from experience. First off is this your first year playing? If so you need to become very physical very quick because you will have to take some big licks by guys twice or more your size.

Keys for a RB

1. You need to run track this year to develop more speed and quickness and when track is over you need to practice jumping out of your stance in the RB position. Reason the quicker you get to the hole the more of a chance you have to get the positive yardage or even breaking the big one.

2. Workouts that are good for quickness that I used were toe raises.

3. Workouts I used for power were squats, dead lift, leg curls front and back.

4. The upper body is important too because of stiff arms and fighting off would be tacklers and blocking when you don't get the ball.

On the field

5. Never look at the hole you are running to because LB are trained to look at the eyes of a RB once they come out of the huddle and then too once in their stance this is a big no no the only time I recommend doing this is and make it obvious by looking more than once is on a counter play because it sets up the trap play beautifully 90% of the time because the middle LB jumps on your first step either left or right.

6. carry out your fakes (very very important) even when the play doesn't require you to carry out a fake because you might be blocking the defensive end its a good idea for the large weight difference to show your hands like your getting a toss sweep because this will lead the defender to you and sometimes they will even tackle you thinking you got the ball and guess what you have just taken him out of the play.

7. When running the football run with your knees up and your body at parallel angle through the line of scrimmage and or when in traffic and make sure to protect the football by putting both arms around it. Remember low man wins so lower the shoulder and deliver a strong blow to ever tackler the big guys at the beginning of the game will try and tackle you high and if you run at an angle and deliver a powerful punch the will soon realize they also will need to goto the legs because this little guys running their butts over every time. This is what you what them to do and that is to try and tackle your legs now with your knees pumping up and down churning fast in traffic the guys who try to take your legs out will have a huge headache because he just got knocked backwards from a knee popping him in the head.

more to come if interested.