Powell vs. Maryville

FBEmeritus

I will say this though, Lee Smith has been completely misused this season. His stats aren't just down because he is getting double and triple covered, but they just aren't throwing him the ball enough. They have been lining him up out wide a lot more, as well as in the slot, and it seems like everytime they throw it up for grabs along the sideline, he comes up with it. The only problem is, Powell does that once, maybe twice per game. I've been saying all year that they need to throw him the ball more, a lot more. He has a size advantage everywhere he goes, and the only way he can be stopped is when he is covered by multiple defensive backs. I doubt we will see the Panthers change that strategy this week, and I'm sure we will see a steady diet of running with Jay Courtney, Josh Huffaker, and Cody Watts.

I don't agree with everything you said, but I do agree with a lot of it. Lee and Justin Galyon have put a lot of pressure on the linebackers and secondary of the opposing defense and has helped Jay Courtney to have a 1,000 plus rushing year and Josh Huffaker to break some big runs, too.

Powell's offense is more than just Lee.

Edited by HTV

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I defintely agree that they have a lot more weapons than Lee, but I still think that they need to get him the ball more. He has to be a factor against Maryville if Powell has any chance of winning Friday night.

Absoultely right, he does. Were you at Hixson last Friday? Even though he only had 3 catches, they were all huge catches that changed the complexion of the drives. If Powell is to be in the game this week he needs to play as well as he did last week.

The only Rebel game I saw this year was the Powell game. Powell coaches abandoned the run too much in the game. Watts is the most elusive, hard to tackle player in the region. If the Powell coaches would be patient with the running game and stay away from the pass, i.e letting Watts run around, they would have a great chance to beat Maryville. If I were the Powell coaches, I would let Watts carry the ball 50 times Friday night, i.e Roll out or running the option.

Maybe for the same reason that he has written offers in hand from Virginia Tech, Bama, and Louisville. All of those programs are top 15 type programs year in and year out. Could it just be that they all believe he is a legit prospect?

Of course, I guess you are a better judge of talent than are the coaches at those programs.

Those black helicopters must be flying in big circles these days.

Nope I don't pretend to be a coach there MTV. But funny you mention those other 3 programs that have "offered" him.

1) Louisville is not a top 15 team. They aren't even the best in their own conference.

2) This year 'Bama has a pretty decent team (so far). Before this season when were they ranked in the top 15 last? And I don't mean to start the season.

That brings us to the 3rd team.....

3) Va Tech.....Who was the last TE that did ANYTHING from Va Tech? Va Tech is well known for a team that specializes in blocking kicks. If I were Beamer I would offer Smith also just for Special Teams purposes. He is tall and can jump, I would put him right in the middle on extra point block and punt block for 4 years. Maybe that is why Fulmer wants him, to help with the special teams. God knows they need it.

Okay time for my bedtime gotta go.

I couldn't make it to Hixson last Friday, but I heard he made some big catches and it sounds to me that that is the kind of game Powell must have to give Maryville a run for its money. I like the idea of rolling Cody out of the pocket a lot more. Early on in the season, he was very hesitant to leave the pocket. It was almost as if Coach Stevens was trying to convince him to throw it away if he had to, rather than scramble for a first down. Since the losses to Farragut and Webb, he has been rolling out a lot more, giving him a nice run/pass option.

Nope I don't pretend to be a coach there MTV. But funny you mention those other 3 programs that have "offered" him.

1) Louisville is not a top 15 team. They aren't even the best in their own conference.

2) This year 'Bama has a pretty decent team (so far). Before this season when were they ranked in the top 15 last? And I don't mean to start the season.

That brings us to the 3rd team.....

3) Va Tech.....Who was the last TE that did ANYTHING from Va Tech? Va Tech is well known for a team that specializes in blocking kicks. If I were Beamer I would offer Smith also just for Special Teams purposes. He is tall and can jump, I would put him right in the middle on extra point block and punt block for 4 years. Maybe that is why Fulmer wants him, to help with the special teams. God knows they need it.

Okay time for my bedtime gotta go.

You just don't give up, do you? This week Bama is ranked number 4, Virginia Tech 8, and Louisville 23. All of those programs are struggling to get good talent to come in, aren't they?

The coaches at those three schools just don't know how to judge talent or know what they are doing, do they? ;)

I couldn't make it to Hixson last Friday, but I heard he made some big catches and it sounds to me that that is the kind of game Powell must have to give Maryville a run for its money. I like the idea of rolling Cody out of the pocket a lot more. Early on in the season, he was very hesitant to leave the pocket. It was almost as if Coach Stevens was trying to convince him to throw it away if he had to, rather than scramble for a first down. Since the losses to Farragut and Webb, he has been rolling out a lot more, giving him a nice run/pass option.

Hixson is no Maryville; you gotta believe that. and Powell will not be able to take it to Maryville this week. If both teams play to their potential, Maryville will win this one by three touchdowns.

You just don't give up, do you? This week Bama is ranked number 4, Virginia Tech 8, and Louisville 23. All of those programs are struggling to get good talent to come in, aren't they?

The coaches at those three schools just don't know how to judge talent or know what they are doing, do they? ;)

You don't read very well these days do ya MTV? I never said anything about coaches at those schools. Go back and read what I stated. And Louisville like I said is not a top 15 team as you just stated they are 23rd. That would be 8 spots lower than 15. Yes 'Bama is rated 4th. But like I asked, WHEN was the LAST time before this season was 'Bama ranked in the top 15 at the end of the season? Could this just be a one year wonder? Where were they last year and year before and before that???????????? Nighty Nighty don't let the bed bugs bite!!!

Again, I agree. Powell will have to play like they did last week, plus Maryville will have to play subpar for Powell to pull off the upset. I don't think Powell will get it done, but the next few weeks are going to be interesting, no matter who wins this one. Maryville/Powell would have tough games, possibly against Central and Mo. West.

Maybe for the same reason that he has written offers in hand from Virginia Tech, Bama, and Louisville.

OK MTV here's a few noteworthy things to think about for you since you are so into high school athletics.

#1) You can't write an offer. The only written offer is when you sign scholarship papers & they are faxed to the player just before signing date. Which for your information is the 1st Wednesday in February.

#2) ALL schools INCLUDING UT offers more kids than what they have scholarships for (UT's current punter....grey-shirt, red-shirt).

#3) These are only verbal offers & colleges can change their minds. As with colleges, the players committments are only verbal and they also can change their minds.

It's not etched in stone until the ink dries on the paper, and is turned into UT, SEC, and the NCAA.

P.S. Then it is a done deal "IF" the player passes the clearinghouse.

;)

Edited by reddevilfever

Keep in mind, high schools in Tennessee do not have a ton of I-A college football prospects, so for the athletes in this state who have I-A potential, Tennessee is obviously gonna recruit them hard. Lee Smith is one heck of a speciman, and UT feels that he could be their next Jason Witten, with a little coaching. Sure, lots of good athletes in this state get this chance to play in division I-AA, II, and III, but for those who have I-A talent, there is no reason why Tennessee shouldn't take a chance on them.