Terrell Owens, you either hate him or love him

ERA

UPI NewsTrack Sports

Nov. 5, 2005 at 11:06PM

Eagles suspend Owens indefinitely

PHILADELPHIA, Nov. 5 (UPI) -- The Philadelphia have suspended wide receiver Terrell Owens indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team.

"The team will have no further comment on the matter at this time," the Eagles said in a statement Saturday.

Earlier this week, Owens said the Eagles "lacked class" when he was not recognized after his 100th career touchdown reception on Oct. 23 in the contest against San Diego. He also claimed that the team's comment of allegedly forgetting about the milestone score was a "blatant lie" and was insulting.

In the same interview, Owens said the Eagles would have a better record and even perhaps be undefeated if Brett Favre was the quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb. On Friday, he apologized for that comment in writing.

Owens has 47 catches for 763 yards and six touchdowns this season. The suspension begins with Sunday night's game at Washington.

This guy does get on your nerves. He represents all the things you hate to see in an athlete. The mouth can be your worst enemy. But, it can be even moreso if you're telling the truth. Not long ago in the off season, Terrell had made a mockery of the NFL much less the Eagles organization by demanding a pay raise and bombing McNabb with jabs about his abilities as a quarterback. Maybe, TO was right all along. The Eagles have struggled and it has mostly been due to the running game but McNabb has thrown a few ducks across the pond in several games. Maybe TO saw it coming and tried his best to get out before the team blew completely up. I just have to say that when you go back and listen to the comments TO has made about his QB and team, he has been right more often than wrong. I believe TO is guilty of a lot of things but political correctness is not one of them.

Sometimes the reaction you get from the truth is much worse than a lie..... :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if every single thing that falls out of Mr. Owens mouth is accurate, it does not matter. He is a major problem with the TEAM. Political Correctness, at least some times, is part of the team chemistry......at least on most teams.

All Mr. Owens has to do is run accross the field and catch the ball that is thrown to him. Unlike a Quarterback who must determine is the reciever is open, go thru his check offs, physically throw the ball in a manner to allow it to be caught, all while being chased by guys that are bigger than you and with an intention of hurting you while your arms are in the air and not able to protect you body.

Mr. Owens needs to shut up. I love that the Eagles have sent the correct message, which is, "We do not care how good you are, you are bad for us".

Love it.

Don't disagree with a thing you said Tex. Just one thing though, I have a problem with situations like this. It seems to be a natural humanistic event to identify a problem by categorizing them with past experiences. By this I mean whenever anyone acts in a way that is outside what we think is normal boundaries, they are immediately branded the problem. Personally, I think there is a deeper problem here than we know. Some people are more sensitive to the politics of jurisprudence in organizations. TO is one that I believe is so insensed by the "cow following the herd" theory that he overreacts. Notice he doesn't care what he says or does. He truly believes that whatever is going on inside that organization that it's wrong and the public does not know about it and he's calling attention to it. TO fears the good ol' boy network way of doing things, hence, the weird reactions we've seen by him. Sometime in the future, there will be a rectification. At some point, the ugliness that is going on the inside of that team and the NFL organzation is going to come out. I believe TO, though not in any way I would try, is merely an indicator, flashing light or warning system that has gone off about a system with major problems. No doubt he is a perfectionist. He does not believe in walking the trail with a harness on. He has the stats and the moxy to back it up.......The Ali of football.

The real ugliness is yet to come.......... :D

Don't disagree with a thing you said Tex. Just one thing though, I have a problem with situations like this. It seems to be a natural humanistic event to identify a problem by categorizing them with past experiences. By this I mean whenever anyone acts in a way that is outside what we think is normal boundaries, they are immediately branded the problem. Personally, I think there is a deeper problem here than we know. Some people are more sensitive to the politics of jurisprudence in organizations. TO is one that I believe is so insensed by the "cow following the herd" theory that he overreacts. Notice he doesn't care what he says or does. He truly believes that whatever is going on inside that organization that it's wrong and the public does not know about it and he's calling attention to it. TO fears the good ol' boy network way of doing things, hence, the weird reactions we've seen by him. Sometime in the future, there will be a rectification. At some point, the ugliness that is going on the inside of that team and the NFL organzation is going to come out. I believe TO, though not in any way I would try, is merely an indicator, flashing light or warning system that has gone off about a system with major problems. No doubt he is a perfectionist. He does not believe in walking the trail with a harness on. He has the stats and the moxy to back it up.......The Ali of football.

The real ugliness is yet to come.......... :D

I wonder what he could be exposing in regard to his teammate, that could have anything to do with how the NFL operates. Seems to me he is just going after this guy about ability, not some agreement made in the confines of a conference room some where.

I wonder what he could be exposing in regard to his teammate, that could have anything to do with how the NFL operates. Seems to me he is just going after this guy about ability, not some agreement made in the confines of a conference room some where.

I will say this.........he is not just going off about McNabb, his whole charade of accusations started long ago about THE EAGLE ORGANIZATION. His latest complaint is about the non recognition of his career 100th TD catch. It is just a continuation of the lack of respect he feels the organization has given him both in money and recognition. He feels he gave 110% to get back to the Superbowl game only to have McNabb blow it all because he was out of shape. His contract does not reflect the work ethic that he gave to try to win the Superbowl, in his opinion, and now he's being dissed by not having one word said about his 100th TD. His exclamations reflect the outcry of every worker in america that does not get rewarded for going that extra mile while "The favorite One" gets away with mediocrity. I've worked in that very environment when you bust your butt to get ahead while the favored ones sit on their tails drinking coffee, telling jokes and stirring up trouble everytime you show them up with great work and make them look bad. Believe me, there is WAY more than the press will dissect. They don't want to hear it either. I just think the organization handled it all wrong and before it is over, TO will get the last laugh..... :D

I might also add that Steve Young on ESPN just now echoed some of my concerns. He feels TO thinks he's been wronged and that the popularity contest is winning over the production contest...........

Also, just released, TO got into a fist fight with one of the owners or team CEO's. I"m telling you there is more to this and it may come out once TO has left the team.

It is odd how when TO played for the 49ers that I don't remember him being so brash and outspoken. Maybe he took his lead from the great man, Jerry Rice while he was there. Then once Jerry was done wrong along with Young.....his true colors came out??

Wow....that is not how I remember Mr. Owens in SF. I remember a guy during the game that ran the football out the the 50 yard line star in Texas stadium. I remember a guy with a sharpie. I remember a guy who was after Jeff Garcia as a QB and a homosexual. I remember......you get the drift.

ERA,

I understand the stuff regarding his 100th catch....but that is cry baby stuff too. Just like how he cried to get out of his agreement to go to the Ravens, and then ends up in PHilly.

People are sick of his stuff, away from catching the football.

Wow....that is not how I remember Mr. Owens in SF. I remember a guy during the game that ran the football out the the 50 yard line star in Texas stadium. I remember a guy with a sharpie. I remember a guy who was after Jeff Garcia as a QB and a homosexual. I remember......you get the drift.

ERA,

I understand the stuff regarding his 100th catch....but that is cry baby stuff too. Just like how he cried to get out of his agreement to go to the Ravens, and then ends up in PHilly.

People are sick of his stuff, away from catching the football.

As I said earlier, I agree with everything you say again. His production on the field has not waned. His output exceeds all present receivers. He just feels that accolades should come to those who deserve it even if they don't fit the mold. I believe all you really have here are a bunch of sensitive crybaby coaches, owners and some players. As long as the TO Show does not affect his game, it shouldn't everyone else. After all, they are all millionaires aren't they?

Steve Young again has done a great job this morning talking about TO. His biggest fear is that TO might cost himself the "Hall of Fame" because of a character flaw. Steve thinks TO has a character flaw that's causing all his problems when dealing withe conflict. Steve admits that he is passionate about TO's problem and thinks he needs help.

On another note, is it me or has anyone else watched the way TO talks. For PC reasons I'll just say that he appears to be a mama's boy......I said appears :D

Regarding his 100th catch: if he was in it just for the football, just for the love of the game, the pure enjoyment of the great sport, he wouldn't give a hoot about recognition, much less for something of his own doing...my, my where have the good ole days gone?

I agree w/tex saying he's a crybaby...a real man would stand up and take it like a man when they've done something wrong...this kid is spoiled rotten.

The speaking out against his team and all that, that was just plain wrong. Apparently he thinks the T in team stands for Terrell. He's a punk and regardless of "talent" he doesn't need to be playin for anyone just so he won't make the organization as a whole look worse than it already does. I think he's the one with the problem and they're just sending a good message that they ain't havin it, which I agree with. Even if some things he has said is true, that doesn't matter. He needs to take one for the team, ya know?

On another note, is it me or has anyone else watched the way TO talks. For PC reasons I'll just say that he appears to be a mama's boy......I said appears :D

B)

Edited by cavfanfolife