Can Maryville be derailed?

osunut2

I'm a diehard Powell fan, but I have a lot of respect for the Rebels. They are the defending champs, they have a great system with a great coach, and they know how to win games as a team. They are still the champs, in my book, until someone, if anyone, can beat them. Who has the best shot at taking them down? I would love to see Powell pull it off like they almost did last November, but I don't think Maryville will let the Panthers sneak up on them. I think Maryville could possibly coast to this title, as well coached as they are. I guess if I were to pick a team that has the best chance at beating them, according to the road they will take to get to Murfreesboro, it has to be either Powell or Central. I know, Morristown West is still undefeated and very good, but I think that if Maryville gets through these next 2 games, there isn't a team outside of region 3 that can actually give them a game. Feel free to weigh in on this. Personally, I would love to see Riverdale and Maryville play for the 'real' state title. Now that would be a great game!

Edited by osunut2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a diehard Powell fan, but I have a lot of respect for the Rebels. They are the defending champs, they have a great system with a great coach, and they know how to win games as a team. They are still the champs, in my book, until someone, if anyone, can beat them. Who has the best shot at taking them down? I would love to see Powell pull it off like they almost did last November, but I don't think Maryville will let the Panthers sneak up on them. I think Maryville could possibly coast to this title, as well coached as they are. I guess if I were to pick a team that has the best chance at beating them, according to the road they will take to get to Murfreesboro, it has to be either Powell or Central. I know, Morristown West is still undefeated and very good, but I think that if Maryville gets through these next 2 games, there isn't a team outside of region 3 that can actually give them a game. Feel free to weigh in on this. Personally, I would love to see Riverdale and Maryville play for the 'real' state title. Now that would be a great game!

I woudnt say that we are going to coast to the title. Our team has alot of respect for powells ability to make plays. Also central has a great team as well that gave us a good fought game that could have gone either way. Maryville is going to have to get more solid on offense before we start saying that we are going to coast. Any game is a game that could send you packing at any moment and any team has a chance ex.(vandy @ florida) to upset a team.

Right now we need to just worry about powell and then the next game dont look to far ahead.

See you boys at the game

Here kitty kitty...

Can anyone beat Maryville? Yes. Absolutely. On any given Friday...

Having said that, I agree with some previous posts. The next couple of weeks will be tough with Central and Powell coming to play. It's very difficult to beat a good team twice. It's also very difficult to walk around with a big target on your back and EVERY team bringing their absolute best to you EVERY week after having circled the date on the calendar and preparing for it for weeks.

The teams that pose the biggest threat to the Rebels are teams with a great defense like Central this year or Melrose last year (have not seen Melrose this year, so I cannot comment on this year's squad). The Rebel offense can be deterred more easily than can be the Rebel defense which imposes its will on the opponent.

I hope that the Red Rebels earn another gold ball this year, but that is certainly not a given. We have to show up and execute at our best each and every week to win it again.

If maryville is to get beaten this year it will not be this week. They are going to come out firing. I see them having an amazing game against central again if central can beat Red Bank this week. I think that that game could be the best one you will see in the playoffs all year if it happens. Good luck to all east tennessee teams though. East tennessee brings home the gold in at least 4 regions this year!!!!!

Can anyone beat Maryville? Yes. Absolutely. On any given Friday...

Having said that, I agree with some previous posts. The next couple of weeks will be tough with Central and Powell coming to play. It's very difficult to beat a good team twice. It's also very difficult to walk around with a big target on your back and EVERY team bringing their absolute best to you EVERY week after having circled the date on the calendar and preparing for it for weeks.

The teams that pose the biggest threat to the Rebels are teams with a great defense like Central this year or Melrose last year (have not seen Melrose this year, so I cannot comment on this year's squad). The Rebel offense can be deterred more easily than can be the Rebel defense which imposes its will on the opponent.

I hope that the Red Rebels earn another gold ball this year, but that is certainly not a given. We have to show up and execute at our best each and every week to win it again.

Anyone? I don't think so. I don't adhere to the any given Friday theory. Maybe for the top echelon teams but no the bottom tier.

Maryville is obviously the elite of 4A! Can anyone tell me which teams have been able to overcome the Maryville dominance in the last few years?

Keep in mind that Cleveland HS had the same dominance in the early and mid 90s until the new classification system. Cleveland hasn't made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs since then. Maryville will be reclassified into 5A in a few years, but I think they could continue to dominate.

I'm a died in the wool Rebel fan, but is there really a need for TWO threads on ANY team?

MHS can be derailed any given Friday. That's why they play the games...

That's why they play the games, but they can't be beaten by anyone. It will get much tougher, and I would say again that I believe it would be good to see Maryville play MoWest or Melrose... any given night, then that might be a better argument, but not "any" team.

That's why they play the games, but they can't be beaten by anyone. It will get much tougher, and I would say again that I believe it would be good to see Maryville play MoWest or Melrose... any given night, then that might be a better argument, but not "any" team.

Well, ask your M'Town West buddies just what happened when they scrimmaged Powell in the spring. 3-4A was heads and shoulders above 1/2 this year. Getting out of the first 3 rounds of region 3/4 play is as tough as it gets in class 4A in the playoffs. If a team can survive those games they have a great shot at winning it all.