Enlighten Me.....

I have seen some junior high games this year and I have one question.....What is up with the referees making kids take off those theme arm bracelets that have become increasingly popular lately...Not only those,but I have seen them make kids remove sweatbands also...What I don't understand is I have seen this happen,then in the same game,I have seen a player allowed to wear a head band and sweatbands while an opposing player was made to remove his...Also,the other night in a girls game I saw a ref make a girl take off a wristband,but allowed a girl on the same team leave a bracelet and a hair tie on her her wrist..What exactly is the rule..It doesn't seem consistant not only from game to game,but from ref to ref in the same game....And then on the other hand,kids are allowed to wear shorts that almost drag the floor...

Guest dare_2_dream

I have seen some junior high games this year and I have one question.....What is up with the referees making kids take off those theme arm bracelets that have become increasingly popular lately...Not only those,but I have seen them make kids remove sweatbands also...What I don't understand is I have seen this happen,then in the same game,I have seen a player allowed to wear a head band and sweatbands while an opposing player was made to remove his...Also,the other night in a girls game I saw a ref make a girl take off a wristband,but allowed a girl on the same team leave a bracelet and a hair tie on her her wrist..What exactly is the rule..It doesn't seem consistant not only from game to game,but from ref to ref in the same game....And then on the other hand,kids are allowed to wear shorts that almost drag the floor...

i dont know what the rule is but i used to wear a livestrong one for my aunt, because she died from cancer, and that thing never came off...I played about 15 games into the season and refs saw it but then one night a ref made me take it off...i think its just depends on what kind of mood the ref is in...

Edited by dare_2_dream

of course i cant say what happened in the specific incidents ya'll mentioned,

but there is a rule against commercial logo's that might account for some of the apparent inequities.

given the attention showered on some high school players, that rule makes sense.

any jewelry with metal is illegal.

having seen a guys face get ripped open by a little metal cross on a chain, i consider that a reasonable rule.

as for other things, officials have an obligation to remove any item that could cause an injury... regardless of what arguments might be made on these specific instances, i would always defer to the judgement of the official.

I agree totally with the arm bracelets. I don't see one thing wrong with the kids wearing them or the sweatbands either. They have become very popular and the kids should be allowed to wear them. I could see the removal of something metal like lazarus said, now that could seriously hurt someone, but the bracelets and bands should be no problem at all.

When it was explained to me why they had to remove them I was told for safety, because lets say 2 players are going up for a board and a finger slides under the "message" braclet and then the players rips his arm down catching that finger in there... see there are so many what if's...

I mean lets not complain or argue with the refs about it, just put on your jersey, shorts, and shoes and lets play ball...

BIG BEN

The safety issue is the primary concern for removing all braclets, rubber or metal, it doesn't matter.

The question about the sweatbands on the wrist, or head bands for that matter, has to deal with the color. If your team is wearing white, then all your attire must be white, execpt of course the shoes. If your team is wearing another color that night, then all your attire must be of that color or the ref can make a judgement call and have you remove the item. I've seen refs ask players to remove "wife-beater" T-shirts underneath the jersey. You couldn't see it unless the jersey was pulled to the side at the neck area, but still it was white, and not the color of the jersey.

When it was explained to me why they had to remove them I was told for safety, because lets say 2 players are going up for a board and a finger slides under the "message" braclet and then the players rips his arm down catching that finger in there... see there are so many what if's...

I mean lets not complain or argue with the refs about it, just put on your jersey, shorts, and shoes and lets play ball...

BIG BEN

I understand the safety issue....I don't understand the lack of consistancy..Also,is this just a high school rule or does it apply to colleges and pros???Just notice sometime the amount of players wearing rubber bands....

As for logos..You can wear a Nike,Adidas or Rawlings uniform,but you can't wear the matching wristband or headband???..Don't get me wrong,in the big scheme of things in a game it doesn't make any difference,but it's just a little odd the way the rule is enforced....

As to the situation that dare-2-dream brought up..I bet you guys were on the road playing an important district game and the ref made you take it off....Probably an opposing coach trying to get into your head a little bit....