White House @ Notre Dame

timbdp

It should be time to move on. Obviously, there were bad calls on both sides of the ball. However, I suggest you watch the film. There is no fumble when the player is ruled down.

I have watched the film and it was indeed a fumble. PERIOD. In addition, we have an "on the sideline" commentator who was standing beside one of the chain officials. On the film he says something like "Man, you should have seen the look the chain official just gave me, that was obviously a bad call". So....The chain official saw it like everyone else saw it --- FUMBLE.

Did you see it? Did you watch the film? Obviously not or you would not have made the above statement.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to gripe too much about the holding. If we held, then we held and it's a penalty.

But I am going to gripe about not calling a fumble a fumble. When the guy lunges for a second effort and then drops the ball, then you should not say he was down and give him the ball back. It happened on two plays, both Carthorn on the kickoff and then the big No. 38 across the middle of the field.

One of those, we got an interception, so it's a moot point.

Notre Dame was about to turn the football over for the fourth straight possession going back to the first half, and the ball was given back when we clearly recovered it. That's a scoring drive for Notre Dame and the game changed.

Speaking of penalties, we are not completely innocent. We had a late hit on the final scoring drive for Notre Dame that cost us big, and it appeared to be a good call.

I don't know where you were sitting. 38 was down when the ball came out. Not even close really. It was a good call. I'm disappointed to the see whining today. WH played with passion and could easily have won. However, and understand this is not making an excuse but pointing out some factsA good many of ND's starters have the flu and Carthorn has very tender ribs. He still had a big game when it counted.

This is all part of the season, but that was a completely different ND team last night than fans are used to seeing, except that they got it done.

I'm not sure how a WH fan can be too surprised at the outcome. ND held Ladd to 89, gave them four turnovers and all of the sudden became a passing team because of the defense they were facing. Except for the turnovers, it should have been a three touchdown ND victory. No brag. Simple fact.

I have watched the film and it was indeed a fumble. PERIOD. In addition, we have an "on the sideline" commentator who was standing beside one of the chain officials. On the film he says something like "Man, you should have seen the look the chain official just gave me, that was obviously a bad call". So....The chain official saw it like everyone else saw it --- FUMBLE.

Did you see it? Did you watch the film? Obviously not or you would not have made the above statement.

Unless your film was from the north endzone, it probably looked like a fumble. The boy's knee and hip were clearly down. I would have no problem telling you as a ND fan that you guys got screwed on that if indeed you did, but he was down.

The WH team played with a lot of heart and could very easily have won. Players and parents should be proud. I was impressed all week with the BDP talk, but this is beneath you guys some of the comments.

There are always two sides to things and while you guys are whining about being cheated, ND folks are worring about a team that had four turnovers, key injuries and a lot of illness and played it's sloppiest game since Howard. Much of its play was self-induced errors. As one media person said after the game, Play them 10 times and ND wins 8, bumbles one and the other is a toss up.

119 total yards vs over 300 for ND. Give me a break.

Edited by Rabble Rouser

I am a player on WH and i would like to say that it is very uncalled for when some of you people ridicule our team. It was a good game. period. It didnt go our way. Thats tough. I played the whole game and I will say that ND is very overrated. They are good, dont get me wrong, just way to overrated. We had our chances to win and we didnt capitalize. End of story. To the rest of my seniors, dont drop down to the level that i am at right now for posting on this stupid board. I love you guys, and we all know who the true winners were. Good luck to ND.

3 TD underdawgs, 94% picking against you...

Lose by one point. I couldnt be any prouder of a group of guys than i am of our team. True underdawgs.

-#54-

Good post. If the players are okay with last night, and can move on, then so should the fans and parents. We're not whiners. We're usually winners. Last night just wasn't our night.

Again, good luck to ND the rest of the way.

It's ok to let go wh1971........officials are only human..too bad we don't have replay in highschool..but thats part of it..there were bad calls onboth sides of the ball...be proud of you team cause they deserved being in the quarters..they were great and played with a lot of heart and would knock your head off....Congrats on a successful season..its over put the past behind you...ND has..On to LA....GO irish

Man, what a game....... I'll admit this one hurt a little....

Congrats to ND..... They have a balanced attack on offense and a good defense. I thought the atmosphere at the game was good.... So were the Bratworst..... We all sat on one side because of the limited space they have for their field which was a little weird feeling..... Your announcer...... LOL... We all had fun yellin' at him.... :thumb:

The game progressed nicely in the first half for us... a physical defensive battle, we were controlling the clock, and were getting the turnovers...... What I thought was the recipe for winning because we ain't gonna out score anyone..... The big play in the first half, imo, happened as we put together a really nice drive the last 8 minutes of the half...... And as Ricky Ladd completed a good run to the two yard line we were flagged for holding.......and we had to settle for a field goal for a 3 point lead instead of 7 at the half.....

Got my wish to start the 2nd..... ND misplayed the kickoff, we recover and take advantage of the short field......10 - 0...... and then a FG to go up 13...... I thought ND handled the adversity very well and they got their passing game going and scored..... and then, again imo, the 2nd big play happened..... on the extra point, the snap was bad but your holder got outside and scored two..... If we stop that play we have a tie game at the end...... HUGE.....

ND put together a nice drive to score...like I said I thought they handled the adversity very well...put them up by one.....went for two, the correct call, but we stopped 'em..... We drove late to set up the field goal and I believe we were around the 25 when we were again flagged for holding, our 2nd big mistake..... The 42 yarder was short........

I thought ND showed great sportsmanship late in the game....we held their running game in check fairly well, but #2 got loose and went for around 40 -50 yards and ND got to around our 10 and could have padded the score but took the knee the last few plays......

Great game, good teams...... And I noticed ND will get to play the other cinderella story, the Livingston team......

I'm reading these posts backwards. Very classy post Dandy, especially given the timing. The boob a few post back is clueless. I've never seen either of the refs working the game and not at any time during the game did I think they were biased either way.

In any case, I just wanted to commend on a very classy post.

I've seen several games this year where the officiating is questionable----rarely to the winning team, but always to the losing team.

I'm sure it hurts to be on the losing side, but I doubt that Notre Dame was assigned the same officials for every game they won, and not every game has been at home so the fact that they won those too, makes it even more unlikely it was only officiating. I give both teams congrats. A forunate last part of the season for White House, and a good undefeated season for Notre Dame. If this was all officiating, it should play out next week when they play the next round.

To your last point. you are correct. ND has much to correct this week. As to your first. I think most ND fans would say ND was on the losing end of bad officiating throughout the year, especially at East Ridge. That one guy must have roomed with Coach James in college, BUT, BUT, BUT, Coach Wiggins knew going in it was going to be that way and did a remarkable job settling his players and moving on.

We teach our kids that if the official has the opportunity to cost us a game, we didn't do enough to win. There are more than 150 plays a game that can impact the outcome. One play should never be the only deciding factor, but your effort on one play can be everything.

Edited by Rabble Rouser

I was a little miffed when #2 broke that run..... We held him in check until then and doesn't tell the whole defensive story......Both sides played fairly well on the defensive side.... ND was selling out to the run, several times their LB's shot the gaps, but I believe everybody got to witness what we have watched for three years...... Ricky Ladd is a special back.....and although the defense keyed on him, he has a knack for getting yards when there appears to be none..... couple of his runs looked as if they were stopped at the line of scrimmage but he would end up with three....Doesn't seem like a big run but he always falls forward.....

Your two QB's seemed to be twins....very similiar in their game.... have they both played all year????

Ladd is good no doubt. Carthorn was hurt. You guys saw 70 percent and he had 106. That breakawar run is what he does, just like Ladd I'm sure.

To your last point. you are correct. ND has much to correct this week. As to your first. I think most ND fans would say ND was on the losing end of bad officiating throughout the year, especially at East Ridge. That one guy must have roomed with Coach James in college, BUT, BUT, BUT, Coach Wiggins knew going in it was going to be that way and did a remarkable job settling his players and moving on.

We teach our kids that if the official has the opportunity to cost us a game, we didn't do enough to win. There are more than 150 plays a game that can impact the outcome. One play should never be the only deciding factor, but your effort on one play can be everything.

I may have tangled my words there. What I was saying is that most of the time the downing the officials are the team that lost, not the team that won. Regardless, their job is to call the game, and like it or not, we have to live with that. That refs job is not an easy one I can assure you. I wouldn't want to be the one doing it.