ridgeway vs. g-town

rhsplaya55

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ridgeway looked very impressive tonight as they ousted millington 41-0. germantown beat white station 34-17 setting up a region 7 champ vs. region 8 champ matchup. what are everyones thoughts on this epic game?

Ridgeway by 6 pts, in a low-scoring affair.

Germantown has a good team, but is too one dimensional (run). Ridgeway has a solid run defense. Plus, its offensive balance will be the decisive factor.

Go Ridgeway!

Ridgeway by 6 pts, in a low-scoring affair.

Germantown has a good team, but is too one dimensional (run). Ridgeway has a solid run defense. Plus, its offensive balance will be the decisive factor.

Go Ridgeway!

Trader,

I saw on the Melrose Henry - County post where you thought that Ridgeway was

a pretender,and please dont misunderstand me when i ask this,after the first two playoff games are we still pretending?I saw more big hits last night then any game this year .

Is it too late to get on the Ridgeway band wagon...I've been to the team website. I am very impressed with both the size and scores that you guys are putting up. If it's true that this is an open zone Memphis city school then there should be NO way anyone touches the talent that should be on this team. It's been proven several times if you have close to the same level of talent that Riverdale puts out there that Rankin can and HAS been out coached. If the percetion of the inner city Memphis talent is there I see no reeason why you don't get to make a trip to the Boro. Good luck Roadrunners. Germantown coaches bring plenty of 5-A playoff experience it may be to there advantage. Another 40-0 score will wake up the state to what you guys have out west.

We are taking it one game at a time...We have never played Germantown and are looking forward to the challenge. Another 40-0 win would be awesome but I don't think that will happen this week! Germantown does have 5A playoff experience and that might work to their advantage, but even though this is Ridgeway's first year in 5A, they are not strangers to the playoffs. Our defense had an awesome game against Millington last night...hopefully the same will hold true for us next week.

GO BIG BLUE!!!!

Trader,

I saw on the Melrose Henry - County post where you thought that Ridgeway was

a pretender,and please dont misunderstand me when i ask this,after the first two playoff games are we still pretending?I saw more big hits last night then any game this year .

jivy50,

That's a fair question.

I'll answer your question this way-- I made several comments about Ridgeway, all of which are consistent with my current beliefs:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Ridgeway's defense is not better than Melrose's. I still stand by that...I never said that Ridgeway's defense was soft and couldn't hit.

2) Ridgeway is a pretender. Yes, RHS is STILL a pretender, until it beats a quality opponent. I never said RHS was a "bad" team...

3) Ridgeway's two playoff wins are great. I'm happy for them but, those 2 teams were weak. No reasonable person can deny that fact.

4) Reminder: RHS won 2 playoff games last, too, then got clobbered by Melrose 35-0. So, 2 playoff wins obviously don't suggest that a team is a true contender.

5) G'town is a quality, tested opponent (throw out its blowout loss to powerhouse S. Panola, MS) that I feel Ridgeway can beat. Why? Styles. I mentioned that.

6) If RHS beats G'twn, then I'll officially declare RHS a contender. It would have finally beaten a quality opponent. To date, RHS simply has not done so.

7) Last reason I predict a RHS victory: My heart bleeds Roadrunner blue & orange!

Yes--you read that right! I am biased towards Ridgeway... I have more of a vested interest in Ridgeway than other team in this area! I explained that too. Did you miss that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jivy50, I hope this answers your question and adds greater clarity to my viewpoint.

Remember, even though I am biased towards Ridgeway, I still maintain an objective point of view. In short, I call 'em like I see 'em.

Germantown Vs Ridgeway should be an outstanding game..heres a look at past common opponents.

Germantown 24 Wooddale 21 -- Ridgeway 40 Wooddale 0

Germantown 37 Cordova 0 -- Ridgeway 21 Cordova 20

The contrast in styles should make for a close game...being the homer that i am GTOWN by 7.

sneaky,

what did g-town do against wooddale that kept that game so close? i figured you guys could run all over their susceptible run defense. when we played cordova we were up 21-7 at the half, we simply just did not play a complete game that night and they almost came back and got us...is that what happenned to you guys against wooddale? or was it just straight up?

Edited by rhsplaya55

sneaky,

what did g-town do against wooddale that kept that game so close? i figured you guys could run all over their susceptible run defense. when we played cordova we were up 21-7 at the half, we simply just did not play a complete game that night and they almost came back and got us...is that what happenned to you guys against wooddale? or was it just straight up?

The Devils aren't the best in pass coverage and allowed 3 TD's by air in the first half. Germantown was able to run fairly well with Brewer gettin around 150 yards on the ground and in the second half the defense pulled it together and shut them out allowing for a late game winning field goal.

Sneaky,

rhsplaya55,

You didn't ask me, but I'll give you an unbiased version of what happened: Germantown could not stop the Woodale passing game (1st half, anyway). Thus, Woodale had the ball most of the time and took full advantage of it.

Germantown blitzed a lot, but got burned time and time again by fullback traps and quick slants across the middle. Once Woodale decided to go deep, Gtwn simply couldn't cover Woodale's receivers. As a result, Woodale quickly jumped on top 21-7 and led 21-14 at the half.

G'twn made great half-time adjustments, shut down Woodale's FB trap and got more pressure on QB Perry. As a result, Woodale couldn't sustain drives the way it did in the 1st-half. It never scored again.... The result: G'twn's offense got more posessions in the 2nd-half, cut down on the penalties and finally asserted its will (smash-mouth football) on Woodale's increasingly tiring defense....The rest is history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhyplaya55, G'twn has a VERY WEAK passing defense, but is better vs the run, especially if the opponent lacks a credible passing threat. Whitehaven exposed G'twn's pass defense all night long, in its victory earlier this season. Woodale very nearly did the same thing. It just could not put two halves of football together. Plus, Woodale's defense was about as porous as swiss cheese!

RHS has the STYLE of team to beat G'twn: Credible passing game coupled with a defense that can stop the run. Stop the run--you beat G'twn. Simple.