Columbia Thanksgiving Classic

Shootmore

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, ntd4lhs, I thought the play was a little sloppy as I don't think I've ever seen Loretto make 30 turnovers. The defense was fairly good on both sides, but I saw a lot of bad passing that led to a lot of turnovers.

I'll post some other games sometime tomorrow as I'm really tired now.

Pageman, I didn't get to attend the game tonight. Did the turnovers committed by both teams have anything to do with the defensive play of each team or did you just see it as sloppy play? I've heard defense was exceptional on both ends of the floor...just curious on your thoughts?

Very tough defense and a lot of fouls, in my opinion, caused many turnovers. This was a classic game, in the 4th quarter, of neither team giving an inch until Jana Cross made some points. Fifty percent free throw percentage did not allow siegel to keep up but was not the total reason for a Loretto win. Loretto was the better team last nite.

Both teams will gain a lot from this game for it reminded me, after thinking back, it had an atmosphere of a game much later in the season.

One of the interesting things about the Loretto/Siegel game was that there were no 3 pt. goals. Normally Loretto has at least 5 and I guess Siegel would hit some too. Jana Cross's rebounding was great in the 4th qtr as she had 7 of her 18. She got several defensive rebounds on missed Siegel FT's. Also, Loretto's Jessica Green hit 4 of 4 FT's in this qtr. and Sarah Brewer scored 4 of her 8 pts. I was surprised that Siegel's Carrie Parrott did not score during the game and that Loretto's Leah Stone had only 2 FT's. Both ended up fouling out however. There were several ball handling errors on both sides which was indicative of the close calling by the officials. I'm sure the number of turnovers for both teams will be less as the season goes on. Good teams, in general, will have less than 10, not 25 or 30 as this game had.

One of the interesting things about the Loretto/Siegel game was that there were no 3 pt. goals. Normally Loretto has at least 5 and I guess Siegel would hit some too. Jana Cross's rebounding was great in the 4th qtr as she had 7 of her 18. She got several defensive rebounds on missed Siegel FT's. Also, Loretto's Jessica Green hit 4 of 4 FT's in this qtr. and Sarah Brewer scored 4 of her 8 pts. I was surprised that Siegel's Carrie Parrott did not score during the game and that Loretto's Leah Stone had only 2 FT's. Both ended up fouling out however. There were several ball handling errors on both sides which was indicative of the close calling by the officials. I'm sure the number of turnovers for both teams will be less as the season goes on. Good teams, in general, will have less than 10, not 25 or 30 as this game had.

Page, as usual, your stats though unofficial and your perceptions are well taken and we appreciate the time you take on outstanding games thruout tne Midtenn area.

Thanks PHargis!!! We take a lot of pride in this tourney. Looking to go to 24 teams next year.

Sat scores These are finals

Tupelo MS 54

Giles Co. 30

South Gwinnett GA 58

Lincoln Co 40

Spring Hill 45

Lebanon 43 IN OT

As an outside comment, everyone likes to see professionals who do an excellent job at what they do. the officials that worked the Spring Hill/Lebanon contest and the Obion/Antioch contest certainly epitimize what is good in high school officiating. I don't know their name but I do know they have been officiating for some time. The calls and the repore were great and does not say the others were not good also.

Thanks, PHargis. I know I missed some rebounds and assists for sure after two days of start to finish coverage. It's hard to cover teams that you're not familiar with.

In regards to officiating, I know most of the officials that were there of out the Columbia system headed by Henry Phillips. These same officials call the games that Page plays except for those played in the Nashville system. For the most part, they did a good job. They called things pretty close - maybe too close for some teams. There are some officials in the Columbia system that are kind of old, but from what I observed over the weekend, they did a pretty consistent job which is all you can really ask for.

Here is my report on the final game where Wayne Co. defeated Lawrence Co., 57-45. All stats are unofficial and subject to change if I see other stats from newspaper sources.

Wayne Co...........15..14....9..19.....57

Lawrence Co........9...11....8..17.....45

Wayne Co. Player Stats:

Cessaley Gipson - 16 pts (4 threes), 2 rebs

Brooke Staggs - 10 pts, 2 rebs, 3 assts

Rachel Melson - 9 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts

Mary Lauren Anderson - 8 pts, 6 rebs, 2 assts

Tristan Daniel - 7 pts (1 three), 9 rebs

Kristen Potete - 4 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst

Julia Myers - 2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst

Jennifer Allen - 1 pt

Jerica Prince - 1 reb

Lawrence Co. Player Stats:

Ashley Moore - 11 pts, 7 rebs

Andrea Bennett - 10 pts, 4 rebs, 2 assts

Cori Jones - 8 pts (1 three), 1 reb, 1 asst

Angela Spann - 6 pts, 3 rebs

Hannah Smith - 5 pts (1 three), 2 rebs, 2 assts

Erin Roberts - 5 pts (1 three), 1 reb, 2 assts

Alex Muckle - 1 reb

Katie Hill - 2 rebs, 1 asst

Courtney Shelton - 1 reb

Team Stats:

Free Throws: Wayne Co. 14 of 23 (60.9%), Lawrence Co. 10 of 17 (58.8%)

Turnovers: Wayne Co. 19, Lawrence Co. 17

Fouls: Wayne Co. 19, Lawrence Co. 21

Rebounds: Wayne Co. 28, Lawrence Co. 22

Assists: Wayne Co. 10, Lawrence Co. 9

Lawrence Co. got off to a bad start as Wayne Co. went up 12 or 13 to 0. Wayne Co.'s Cessaley Gipson hit 3 threes in the 2nd qtr as WC led 29-20 at the half. Both teams came out cold in the 3rd qtr., but WC maintained their lead at 38-28.

Lawrence Co. played a fairly decent 4th qtr. as they picked up the pace towards the end of the game, but WC hit 13 of 19 FT's to seal the win.

Edited by PageMan

Wayne Co. Player Stats:

Cessaley Gipson - 16 pts (4 threes), 2 rebs

Brooke Staggs - 10 pts, 2 rebs, 3 assts

Rachel Melson - 9 pts, 4 rebs, 3 assts

Mary Lauren Anderson - 8 pts, 6 rebs, 2 assts

Tristan Daniels - 7 pts (1 three), 9 rebs

Kristen Potete - 4 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst

Julia Myers - 2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst

Jennifer Allen - 1 pt

Jerica Prince - 1 reb

just to let you all know it is Tristan Daniel without the ''s''.good stat work pageman