Melrose @ Hillsboro

orangemoundwest

How did Melrose do penalty wise in this game. And how did Cooper do? I figured Melrose wouldn`t have too much trouble in this one. They are just very good. Good Luck Melrose!

VG,

We had 16 penalties in this game. Quite a few of them were after we had built up a lead. It looked like the kids lost concentration and the mental mistakes got out of hand. One big penalty led to the Hillsboro TD. Melrose D had forced a punt then roughed the punter. Hillsboro subsequently made a big run to the five and scored from there.

Immediately after the Hillsboro score, Cooper broke a 62 yard run that was simply amazing.

Two thirds of Hillsboro's total yards were the result of two plays.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Melrose.

#28 is amazing.

You have a great team with great team speed.

Good luck to you against Murvul.

Your team may have class but alot of your fans are nothing more than

common thugs.

It may be common practice in Memphis for the opposing teams fans to

invade the home teams stands to taunt, use foul languge to everyone,

including children, and try to place bets, but nowhere else have I ever witnessed such indignity.

There were nine police officers on duty but the smell of pot was still

overwhelming at times.

TSSAA should use some the huge gate money to do something about this problem before some innocent law abiding fans get hurt or worse.

Grizzle:

There were thousands of Melrose fans at the game, but you are going to apply the actions of a few to the majority and that is simply not right. The actions of a few can greatly take away what makes the high school football experience enjoyable. But don't apply that to the thousands of great law abiding fans that follow Golden Wildcat football.

Let's not start this all over again.

Tigersteve44

I am refering to at least a hundred or so of the Melrose fans who did invade

the Hillsboro stands.

You say "Let's not start this all over again". Appearantly this has been a problem at other schools when you all have visited!

Great law abiding fans would discourage others from behaving in this manner.

I assure you that most other high school fans throughout Tennessee act in a more

civilized manner.

Hillsboro was beaten badly and that is a credit to the Wildcat players and coaches

not to the so called fans who wish to insite trouble.

I saw a good football team in Melrose beat a good young Hillsboro team last night. I have been waiting to see this question on here but have not yet so I'll ask it then......

Twice in the game, Wilson (who I thought played well) the quarterback, was pushed, shoved, punched, and had his helmet ripped off by one of the coaches. The first time was when he intentionally grounded the ball. He went to the sideline and one of the coaches grabbed him and shoved him hard, almost knocking him down.

The second was more disturbing and brought much uproar from the Melrose stands. Apparantly, from what I saw, Wilson goes to the sidelines and a coach ripped his helmet off his head, there was some 'activity' between the two, and then Wilson was taken to the other end of the bench by other coaches and players where he had to be restrained it seemed. What was the deal?????????

Is this normal for Melrose or what??????

I wondered why they sat down the starting qb for a series or two. He was good, and how can you get down on him for throwing the ball away?

In my opinion, the head coach at Melrose is way too concerned with the pass. But he is winning, and arguing the point may be meaningless. But if this stuff happened to the qb, I think it reveals some concerns.

Melrose is a great team. I'm sure Melrose's coaching staff believes they have to pass the ball to beat Maryville. Kicking extra points and field goals will help.

Getting a lead against Maryville will be key to a Melrose win. Will Melrose use Cooper to control field position and eat up the clock? Throwing the ball may only allow Maryville to stay in the game.

The best athlete on the field will be Cooper. I would put the ball in his hands as many times as possible. If Maryville can stop him this year, then I am wrong. But I would put the ball in Cooper's hands until someone stops him.

I saw a good football team in Melrose beat a good young Hillsboro team last night. I have been waiting to see this question on here but have not yet so I'll ask it then......

Twice in the game, Wilson (who I thought played well) the quarterback, was pushed, shoved, punched, and had his helmet ripped off by one of the coaches. The first time was when he intentionally grounded the ball. He went to the sideline and one of the coaches grabbed him and shoved him hard, almost knocking him down.

The second was more disturbing and brought much uproar from the Melrose stands. Apparantly, from what I saw, Wilson goes to the sidelines and a coach ripped his helmet off his head, there was some 'activity' between the two, and then Wilson was taken to the other end of the bench by other coaches and players where he had to be restrained it seemed. What was the deal?????????

I saw that run. I want to get a tape of the game so that I can see it again! I cannot believe what I saw.

If Cooper can get that much open field next week, no one can stop him.

Why isn't this kid thinking about college yet?

Immediately after the Hillsboro score, Cooper broke a 62 yard run that was simply amazing.

grizzle, your post about Melrose fans are uncalled for. Ther hasn't been any other complaints besides yours on their actions. Last year at the state championship game, I sat in the middle of the Melrose fans and they were nice and polite people. They have a great knowledge of their boys, and it is great to see support like that since some Memphis teams can't get fans in the stands. Never once at the championship game did I smell pot or have someone try to bribe me into betting for them. Please don't come on here and insult the Melrose fans.

I had no problems with Melrose fans. I have more problems at UT games.

I like the passion the Melrose fans have for their team. I saw a church van from Memphis in the parking lot, and I spoke to several Melrose fans.

There was a huge tailgate party in a parking lot next to Hillsboro. Melrose supports its team!

Good question, Sportsfanman

I was at the game last night. The head coach (Flowers) was the one who "jacked up" QB Wilson. I have never seen him do that sort of thing before. It completely shocked me!

Personally, I thought the coach crossed the line. There's a right and a wrong way to do anything. I felt the coach was flat out wrong!

Look, I didn't necessarily have a problem with the Coach holding the QB's face mask, as he chastised him; BUT, when he snatched and jerked the kids head around and about, pushed him, then violently yanked the kids face mask so hard that his helment flew off... Hey, I couldn't help but stand up and start yelling down towards the coach (in vain, of course), "Hey, man--what the heck are you doing!!!???"

Anyway, sportsfanman, that was one of the most pathetic and disgusting scenes that I've ever witnessed, on a sideline. The "punishment" simply didn't fit the "crime" (intentional grounding--a bonehead play, true. Does that justify a coach knocking a kids head off--I don't think so). I liken it to using a sledgehammer to kill a fly--OVERKILL. Excessive force. Utterly unecessary.

Anyway...just my 2-cents worth.

grizzle, your post about Melrose fans are uncalled for. Ther hasn't been any other complaints besides yours on their actions.

That`s simply not true. There have been several accounts of the pot smoking at Melrose games. Their fans are very supportive and really support their team. And I`d say the majority of them are just there to watch football and cheer on Melrose. But there is no doubt that potsmoking is common at Melrose`s games. I saw it last year and this year at our game with them. Henry county fans reported the same thing as well as folks from other schools. It doesn`t surprise me at all to hear Grizzle report the same thing and he apparently had no idea of previous talk about this. He also talked about the foul language. And I can certainly attest to that as well. There are a lot of Melrose fans who are potty mouthed. At both our last two games, one at the mound and one at the rock, melrose fans sat on the visitor side and literally YELLED profanities.

These type of actions are a rare exception at the hundreds of hs games I have attended. But seem to be commonplace for Melrose.

Look..I`m cheering on melrose to win the gold ball. Their team and coaches are hard working, talented, and conduct themselves very well on and off the field. But the facts are the facts. If there are Melrose fans that don`t like people talking about their fans smoking pot, openly drinking, and yelling obcenities then they should try and do something about it. People like grizzle are just the messenger. One thing about it Gerry, you won`t see any Melrose fans get on here and deny it goes on.

I saw that run. I want to get a tape of the game so that I can see it again! I cannot believe what I saw.

If Cooper can get that much open field next week, no one can stop him.

Why isn't this kid thinking about college yet?

Why would you say that he wasn't?

He is thinking about college, he just hasn't committed yet.

He's the 41st best running back in the nation according to Unapproved Website, 78th according to scout.com

His list of colleges include

Schools of Interest:

School ---------- Interest Level -------Offer? ---------- Visit Date

Mississippi -------- High Interest ---------Yes --------- 12/09/2005

Oklahoma State --- High Interest ---------Yes --------- 01/13/2006

Miami (Fl) ----------Med Interest ----------Yes --------- 12/16/2005

Tennessee ---------Med Interest ----------Yes --------- 01/20/2006

Nebraska ----------Low Interest -----------Yes---------- None