Liberty @ Haywood on Dec. 2

baseballa28

Guest catfish-hunter

The Tomcats are showing why they are a perrenial state contender every year.

I'm not knocking Liberty folks. They are a very talented basketball team that will win a bunch of games this year but they must learn how to win THE BIG GAMES before we put them in the class of teams like Bolivar, Mitchell, Haywood, and Raleigh Egypt.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a great game tonight as Liberty knocked off Haywood at Haywood. The refs weren't all that great tonight but no excuses to be made. Brandon Evans led the Liberty squad with 25 points, Jewuan Long had 12, and Bijon Jones had 11. Jarvis Varnardo is an awesome basketball player end of story. I don't have any stats on him but I would say he had about 20 points 15 rebounds and 5-10 blocks. The atmosphere in Haywood was awesome and the teams pleased the crowd with several dunks and blocked shots from Varnardo. It is hard to go in to Brownsville and get a W but Liberty did it tonight. Catfish, can Liberty get some props from you now?

Congrats to Liberty. They are a solid team. I really thought earlier in the second quarter Haywood was going to put them away. I think midway through the 2nd when Varnardo went out, for 3-4 minutes was the turnaround. I'd say he had 5-10 blocks easily by that point in the game, along with taking some charges. Liberty was not hitting from the outside early either, and when Varnardo was out, they started taking it to the basket. They seemed a little timid to do that when he was in, that is after the first several blocks. (they went right at him at the beginning). The second half, Haywood just looked really out of sync, nothing clicking at all. Some of that should be credited to Liberty's defense, but some of it was just plain carelessness. Some of it is probably youth too, Hayood plays a lot of sophmores that are very talented. Ricky Taylor is going to be really good, which Liberty fans may question. He had a pretty off night, which happens, he will regroup and be an excellent player for the Tomcats this year. It will definitely be a great game when they meet again. Both teams will have the chance to face off with Bolivar in the next week and a half as well. Both teams have a lot of talent. I won't be surprised if either of these teams beat Bolivar. I would be very surprised though, come March, if if Mitchell, Hayood, Bolivar, and Liberty are not all 4 playing in the Boro. And if the bracket was set up well, they should be the final four. Again, congrats to Liberty on coming into Haywood and pulling off the W.