VOLS ANNOUNCE OFFENSIVE STAFF CHANGES

Sequatchie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CUTCLIFFE REJOINS VOLS' COACHING STAFF

Under Cutcliffe's tutelage as offensive coordinator from 1993-98, UT twice led the SEC in total offense

Nov. 28, 2005

Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer announced Monday that David Cutcliffe has rejoined the staff as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator.

Cutcliffe, 51, was a member of UT's staff for 17 years, including six years as offensive coordinator, before leaving after the 1998 season to become head coach at Mississippi.

"I'm very pleased to have David back at Tennessee," Fulmer said. "He is a great football coach, person, leader and teacher. Our long relationship professionally and personally always has been a positive influence for me. He will challenge our thinking, be creative with our offense and very demanding as a coordinator."

Cutcliffe compiled a 44-29 won-lost record with the Rebels from 1999-2004 and coached Ole Miss to four bowl victories against only one loss. He was the only Rebels coach in history to win at least seven games in each of his first five seasons before being named assistant head coach (offense)/quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame in January.

Cutcliffe reluctantly resigned that position with the Fighting Irish in June after undergoing triple bypass heart surgery in March.

"I want to thank athletics director Mike Hamilton and Phillip Fulmer for this opportunity," Cutcliffe said. "Four months ago when I was looking at my future, I was totally focused. I said that if I got back into coaching and was able to reach that level of health again, I made the statement to my wife that it only would be as a head coach.

"I never saw this opportunity presenting itself. But when it did, that certainly made me reconsider things. I love the University of Tennessee. I'm very familiar with the program and the people involved with the program. I just looked at it as a wonderful opportunity and I'm looking forward to being a part of the Tennessee football family."

Under Cutcliffe's tutelage as offensive coordinator from 1993-98, Tennessee twice led the Southeastern Conference in total offense and three times was the league's rushing leader. The Vols finished no worse than fifth in scoring offense, including leading the SEC in 1993 and placing second nationally with an average of 42.8 points per game.

The Vols were 63-11 during that span with three SEC Eastern Division crowns, two league championships and the 1998 national title. Cutcliffe received the Frank Broyles Award in 1998 as the nation's top assistant coach and was a finalist for the honor in 1997.

Coaching awards continued Cutcliffe's way during his Ole Miss tenure. He was selected SEC Coach of the Year in 2003 by his fellow league coaches and shared the Associated Press honor while leading the Rebels to a share of the SEC Western Division crown.

"I'm excited about having David Cutcliffe rejoin the Tennessee family," Hamilton said. "David understands the expectations of our program and will represent our university in a first-class manor."

Born Sept. 16, 1954, in Birmingham, Ala., David Nelson Cutcliffe attended the University of Alabama and received his bachelor's degree in health, physical education and recreation in 1976.

He returned to his alma mater, Banks (Ala.) High School, as an assistant coach for four years before being named head coach in 1980. His teams reached the Alabama state playoffs three times as an assistant and in both his seasons as a head coach.

Cutcliffe's workload at Tennessee, his first collegiate coaching position, documented the trust placed in him by Fulmer. Cutcliffe served as assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, filling all three positions capably and enthusiastically.

In the latter position of quarterbacks coach, Cutcliffe supervised the development of future NFL first-round draft picks Heath Shuler and Peyton Manning as they rewrote the Tennessee records book. Before them, Cutcliffe mentored Andy Kelly, who has gone on to a long and noteworthy career in arena football.

All told, Cutcliffe has coached eight players who became first-round NFL draft picks, including Ole Miss quarterback Eli Manning and running back Deuce McAllister. The Manning brothers both were overall No. 1 draft picks.

Cutcliffe is married to the former Karen Oran of Harriman and they have three children - Chris (2/6/1987), Katie (4/12/1989) and Emily (8/8/2000).

CUTCLIFFE CONTRACT DETAILS RELEASED

Tennessee athletics director Mike Hamilton said Monday that David Cutcliffe has signed a two-year contract, with a base salary of $275,000 and $25,000 for media and apparel.

Anybody heard anything else about the Trooper Taylor/ John Chavis battle? Word last week was Taylor would not be retained. Will "Cut" relieve Taylor of his duties since he is "IN CHARGE" of the Offense?

Tonight on "Vol Calls" when someone asked about Trooper Taylor. Coach Cutcliffe said he is still on staff and he is looking forward to working with him. He also said that is on the road recruiting. :thumb:

I have said before Tennessee will probably be picked in the top 25 in the preseason next summer. I would say anywhere between 15-20 or around there even with the problems this season they will still have a Top 5-10 team in terms of talent and with David Cutcliff back on as OC & more importantly QB Coach I think you will see a big leap with Erik Ainge over the summer. Remember Coach Cutliff coached both Mannings and Tee Martin was one of the best college QBs in the country during the 98-99 seasons.

I would also bet that Coach Fulmer and staff when every thing is signed in February will have put together another Top 10-15 recruiting class.

One more thing the last time Tennessee went (5-6) in 1988. They followed that up with Back to Back SEC Championships including an (11-1) season in 1989.

My question here would be, "With what?" The Vols strength this year was the defensive line and LB's. All 7 graduated. There was one quality player (Allen) in the secondary. He was injured and is gone. Johnson is a prospect there.

The offensive line was always overrated, and much of it is gone. The quality left on offense seems to consist of Meacham, Swain, and Foster.

Ainge is the big question mark. What can be said about him is that he was seen as a QB with great talent when in high school and has not shown it yet. He may...

he may not. If you look at the Vols QB cast this year--Ainge, Clausen, Cooter,

and Hardegree, you have to ask: For what other SEC team could any of these guys have started?

For years, we have heard the myth of Tennessee's running game. "Pound that ball on the ground...eat up the yards, that's Tennessee football." That's what

commentators keep saying, mentioning that Fulmer is an old offensive lineman and that's his kind of football. That, as I said, is a myth. Tennessee has not been in the top 3 or 4 in the SEC in rushing in a decade. Those who watch and listen know that Tennessee became known for its receivers and its passing game.

As for the recruiting, there is another myth that Tennessee always has a stable of recruits ready to step in. Looks like the cupboard is going to be barren this year. If you check the recruiting services, you will see that Tennessee, often ranked right up there with Texas, Georgia and LSU, is ranked #45 in one poll.

The prediction that Tennessee is going to suddenly become attractive to a lot of high school prospects may be true, but it would seem to be unlikely, given the coaching uncertainties.

Another factor is the changing nature of the SEC. Spurrier is back in the conference, and South Carolina is going to be a factor, on the field and in the recruiting wars. Florida has an attractive new coach who is is going to recruit well, also. Auburn has put together a program which is going to be top-drawer. The SEC is probably the strongest conference in the nation this year, and may be in the next few years.

Cutcliffe has a well-deserved reputation among college coaches and should be a welcome addition. I don't know enough about the Tennessee coaching situation to know what the losses of Washington and Stephens will mean. Does anyone know anything about Trooper Taylor? All I have ever seen is (a) that he hasn't learned how to wear his cap yet; and (:thumb: he is good at high-fives and body bumps when

players come off the field.

In short, I think Tennessee will not have a losing season next year, but will only rebound to the middle of the SEC pack.

You are just a Monday Morning Quarterback!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

If your a fan, be part of the solution, not part of the problem!!!!!! :thumb:

A silly remark from you. How can it be Monday Morning Quarterback, when I am talking about it now. And even in my previous post, I said that some one might say that they did not agree with the move, but they like it now. I do not think that fits the MMQB definition.

Can you even try to understand my position on this? If I believe part of the solution is to change out Fulmer, then that makes me not a fan? How does that work? That is the blind following concept I was talking about earlier.

Edited by texas23

A silly remark from you. How can it be Monday Morning Quarterback, when I am talking about it now. And even in my previous post, I said that some one might say that they did not agree with the move, but they like it now. I do not think that fits the MMQB definition.

Can you even try to understand my position on this? If I believe part of the solution is to change out Fulmer, then that makes me not a fan? How does that work? That is the blind following concept I was talking about earlier.

So you think the answer is to get rid of one of the two greatest coaches(General Neyland is the other) in UT history? LOL!!! You really think the answer is to get rid of Fulmer? You have got to be kidding me, the man has stubbled abit, give him a chance to get back up! Have you never come across hard times? Please dont tell me that you are perfect in your job and have never made a mistake? The man is an icon and he knows how to do his job and soon you will all see this! :thumb:

So you think the answer is to get rid of one of the two greatest coaches(General Neyland is the other) in UT history? LOL!!! You really think the answer is to get rid of Fulmer? You have got to be kidding me, the man has stubbled abit, give him a chance to get back up! Have you never come across hard times? Please dont tell me that you are perfect in your job and have never made a mistake? The man is an icon and he knows how to do his job and soon you will all see this! :thumb:

Why are you trying to bring in my job performance in connection with this coaching job? Losing one game to a team you should beat is okay, two gets people wondering, three is an issue that needs to be addressed, four is serious business. Where do you think we are with mr. Fulmer? Did he stumble? Did he break a leg? Did he become wheel chair bound? I can tell you this, it is not a stumble.

You do not have to agree with my strategy, but yes, I would like to see Fulmer put out to pasture. Just like they did to Johnny Majors. He was in the same position as Fulmer, until he was sent packing. Was it for the better? you tell me.

My question here would be, "With what?" The Vols strength this year was the defensive line and LB's. All 7 graduated. There was one quality player (Allen) in the secondary. He was injured and is gone. Johnson is a prospect there.

Have you forgot that for the most part Tennessee will finally see this past recruiting season players who were considered one of the top 3 classes in the country almost all of them redshirted!

The defensive line should be almost as good as this season. Xavier Mitchell (jr.), J. Hostetter (Jr.) , Antonio Reynolds (Jr.) & Robert Ayers (So.). along with redshirt freshman Vlad Richard, Raymond Henderson, Wes Brown & Gerald Williams will be the Defensive Ends. The DT's will be if he comes back for his Senior year Justin Harrell, Turk McBride (Sr.), Tony McDaniel (Sr.), DeMonte Bolden (RFr.) & Dan Williams (RFr.)

In interviews following saturdays win at Kentucky DC John Chavis said that next years group of LB's could be better than this group! Jerod Mayo (So.), Marvin Mitchell (Sr.), Ryan Karl (Jr.), Rico McCoy (RFr.), Andre Mathis (RFr.)

The secondary can be outstanding nexct season! One of the starters from this season will not be starters next season because the #1 HS DB Demtrice Morley (So.) will start somewhere add in the #6 S prospect Adam Myers-White (Rfr.) & Antonio Wardlow (RFr.) along with all of the returning DB's and you have a very good group to find 4 or 5 great players!

The offensive line was always overrated, and much of it is gone. The quality left on offense seems to consist of Meacham, Swain, and Foster.

Ainge is the big question mark. What can be said about him is that he was seen as a QB with great talent when in high school and has not shown it yet. He may...

he may not. If you look at the Vols QB cast this year--Ainge, Clausen, Cooter,

and Hardegree, you have to ask: For what other SEC team could any of these guys have started?

The Offensive Line could be a slight problem especially if Arron Sears & Rob Smith don't return for there Senior year. If they do it should be just fine with Anothony Parker (So.), Steven Jones (Jr.) David Ligon (Sr.) Ramon Foster (So.), The redshirted players like Malcom Rawls & Chris Scott and the #1 HS C prospect Josh McNeil.

The QB's will be fine remember Ainge was a All-American Freshmen and brok Peyton's Freshmen records I think you will see him make a big jump with Coach Cutcliffe teaching him now! Just because he had a bad year along with the rest of the team don't mean he suddenly has no talent! The back up has a lot of talent a Parade All-American, US Army All-American, and one of the top HS QB's last year Redshirt Freshmen Jonathan Crompton.

For years, we have heard the myth of Tennessee's running game. "Pound that ball on the ground...eat up the yards, that's Tennessee football." That's what

commentators keep saying, mentioning that Fulmer is an old offensive lineman and that's his kind of football. That, as I said, is a myth. Tennessee has not been in the top 3 or 4 in the SEC in rushing in a decade. Those who watch and listen know that Tennessee became known for its receivers and its passing game.

Not sure if thats correct remember last season both Gerald Riggs & Cedric Houston rushed for over a 1,000 yards. This season Arian Foster was only 114 or so yards away from a 1,000 in only starting in 4 or 5 games.

As for the recruiting, there is another myth that Tennessee always has a stable of recruits ready to step in. Looks like the cupboard is going to be barren this year. If you check the recruiting services, you will see that Tennessee, often ranked right up there with Texas, Georgia and LSU, is ranked #45 in one poll.

The prediction that Tennessee is going to suddenly become attractive to a lot of high school prospects may be true, but it would seem to be unlikely, given the coaching uncertainties.

That is false Tennessee see has a Top 5 class that almost all of them Redshirted this fall. Recruiting doesn't really start for another couple of weeks and doesn't really get ho and heavy until January. I would be willing to bet when all is said and done on February 1st that Tennessee has a Top 10 recruiting class maybe not a top 3 like this past class but a very good one!

Another factor is the changing nature of the SEC. Spurrier is back in the conference, and South Carolina is going to be a factor, on the field and in the recruiting wars. Florida has an attractive new coach who is is going to recruit well, also. Auburn has put together a program which is going to be top-drawer. The SEC is probably the strongest conference in the nation this year, and may be in the next few years.

South Carolina just went on probation and Spurrier will not have players at USC that he had at Florida. Urban Meyer is still up in the air as what kind of coach he is and if he can play his system in the SEC.

Cutcliffe has a well-deserved reputation among college coaches and should be a welcome addition. I don't know enough about the Tennessee coaching situation to know what the losses of Washington and Stephens will mean. Does anyone know anything about Trooper Taylor? All I have ever seen is (a) that he hasn't learned how to wear his cap yet; and (:thumb: he is good at high-fives and body bumps when

players come off the field.

Anyone Cutcliffe brings in should be better than Washington or Stephens and as for as Trooper Taylor goes since he was hired as running back coach In his first year he got Gerald Riggs into the classroom and on the field and he become the back everyone thought he would be. He got Riggs & Houston over 1,000 yards each last seaosn something that had never happened at Tennessee even with the great backs they have had on campus at the same time.

This season he got Arian Foster ready to play and was a little over a 100 yards shy of 1,000. He is also becoming one of the top recruiters on the country.

In short, I think Tennessee will not have a losing season next year, but will only rebound to the middle of the SEC pack.

Tennessee should be back next season competing with Georgia and Florida for the SEC East Title. They get Florida, Alabama & LSU in Knoxville!

Have you forgot that for the most part Tennessee will finally see this past recruiting season players who were considered one of the top 3 classes in the country almost all of them redshirted!

The defensive line should be almost as good as this season. Xavier Mitchell (jr.), J. Hostetter (Jr.) , Antonio Reynolds (Jr.) & Robert Ayers (So.). along with redshirt freshman Vlad Richard, Raymond Henderson, Wes Brown & Gerald Williams will be the Defensive Ends. The DT's will be if he comes back for his Senior year Justin Harrell, Turk McBride (Sr.), Tony McDaniel (Sr.), DeMonte Bolden (RFr.) & Dan Williams (RFr.)

In interviews following saturdays win at Kentucky DC John Chavis said that next years group of LB's could be better than this group! Jerod Mayo (So.), Marvin Mitchell (Sr.), Ryan Karl (Jr.), Rico McCoy (RFr.), Andre Mathis (RFr.)

The secondary can be outstanding nexct season! One of the starters from this season will not be starters next season because the #1 HS DB Demtrice Morley (So.) will start somewhere add in the #6 S prospect Adam Myers-White (Rfr.) & Antonio Wardlow (RFr.) along with all of the returning DB's and you have a very good group to find 4 or 5 great players!

The Offensive Line could be a slight problem especially if Arron Sears & Rob Smith don't return for there Senior year. If they do it should be just fine with Anothony Parker (So.), Steven Jones (Jr.) David Ligon (Sr.) Ramon Foster (So.), The redshirted players like Malcom Rawls & Chris Scott and the #1 HS C prospect Josh McNeil.

The QB's will be fine remember Ainge was a All-American Freshmen and brok Peyton's Freshmen records I think you will see him make a big jump with Coach Cutcliffe teaching him now! Just because he had a bad year along with the rest of the team don't mean he suddenly has no talent! The back up has a lot of talent a Parade All-American, US Army All-American, and one of the top HS QB's last year Redshirt Freshmen Jonathan Crompton.

Not sure if thats correct remember last season both Gerald Riggs & Cedric Houston rushed for over a 1,000 yards. This season Arian Foster was only 114 or so yards away from a 1,000 in only starting in 4 or 5 games.

That is false Tennessee see has a Top 5 class that almost all of them Redshirted this fall. Recruiting doesn't really start for another couple of weeks and doesn't really get ho and heavy until January. I would be willing to bet when all is said and done on February 1st that Tennessee has a Top 10 recruiting class maybe not a top 3 like this past class but a very good one!

South Carolina just went on probation and Spurrier will not have players at USC that he had at Florida. Urban Meyer is still up in the air as what kind of coach he is and if he can play his system in the SEC.

Anyone Cutcliffe brings in should be better than Washington or Stephens and as for as Trooper Taylor goes since he was hired as running back coach In his first year he got Gerald Riggs into the classroom and on the field and he become the back everyone thought he would be. He got Riggs & Houston over 1,000 yards each last seaosn something that had never happened at Tennessee even with the great backs they have had on campus at the same time.

This season he got Arian Foster ready to play and was a little over a 100 yards shy of 1,000. He is also becoming one of the top recruiters on the country.

Tennessee should be back next season competing with Georgia and Florida for the SEC East Title. They get Florida, Alabama & LSU in Knoxville!

Thank you for your reply concerning Tennessee's prospects. What I am sure we will agree is that we will have to wait until next fall to see who is right. I do have a few comments, however.

1. If all those redshirts are so great, you would have thought they would have been pressed into service this year. To my knowledge the only one who was

elevated was Ramon Foster for the Kentucky game after the recent unpleasantness with Toeaina. All I know about Morley is (a) he is very highly regarded and (:lol: he was tne centerpiece of a New York Times story last week about athletes getting themselves eligible by buying their grades through online correspondence schools. To suggest that Tennessee was looking to the future and did not want to jeopardize a year of eligibility is probably not credible. I think they put the best they had available out there--at least until after the Notre Dame game.

2. Someone must not have felt Trooper Taylor was doing such a standout job

with the running backs. It was announced today that he will be moved to coaching the receivers next year

3. To say that recruiting doesn't really begin until the football season is over will come as news to the coaches who have been out beating the bushes and using all their spare time to visit prospects for months now. It will come as news to Georgia, which already has a full complement of commitments, including 4 who have Five Star ratings by one scouting service and 7 others who are rated 4 Stars.

Florida already has 3 Five Stars and 7 Four Stars, LSU 5 Four Stars, Alabama

5 Four Stars, Auburn 2 Five Stars and 6 Four Stars. Tennessee's commitments

include 2 Four Stars and 0 Five Stars. OF COURSE, STARS BESIDE A NAME BY A RATING SERVICE DO NOT TRANSLATE INTO TOUCHDOWNS, SACKS, OR VICTORIES, BUT YOU CAN BET THAT IF TENNESSEE HAD COMMITMENTS FROM A BUMPER CROP OF 4 AND 5 STARS, THE TENNESSEE FANS WOULD BE TRUMPETING IT FROM THE HILLTOPS.

4. Tennessee must recruit well outside of the state to be competitive. Many of the SEC states around us--Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana--have high school football programs which are superior to Tennessee's. In the past, Tennessee has relied upon wide receivers from outside the state

Time will tell us how rocky things will get on Rocky Top.

1. If all those redshirts are so great, you would have thought they would have been pressed into service this year. To my knowledge the only one who was

elevated was Ramon Foster for the Kentucky game after the recent unpleasantness with Toeaina. All I know about Morley is (a) he is very highly regarded and (:blink: he was tne centerpiece of a New York Times story last week about athletes getting themselves eligible by buying their grades through online correspondence schools. To suggest that Tennessee was looking to the future and did not want to jeopardize a year of eligibility is probably not credible. I think they put the best they had available out there--at least until after the Notre Dame game.

Morley did play but most other players were redshirted for one reason or another. If I counted correctly out of the 25 players UT signed last February. One player went JUCO while 19 others were redshirted. QB - Jonathan Crompton, LaMarcus Coker because of injury. I think RB Montario Hardesty got a medical redshirt after he was injured in the only game he played in. The only freshmen that I know played were:

DB - Demetrice Morley

WR - Josh Briscoe

WR - Lucas Taylor

WR - Austin Rogers

RB - Montario Hardesty

2. Someone must not have felt Trooper Taylor was doing such a standout job with the running backs. It was announced today that he will be moved to coaching the receivers next year
That hasn't been confirmed yet but WR coach was the position he was coaching before coming to Tennessee!

3. To say that recruiting doesn't really begin until the football season is over will come as news to the coaches who have been out beating the bushes and using all their spare time to visit prospects for months now. It will come as news to Georgia, which already has a full complement of commitments, including 4 who have Five Star ratings by one scouting service and 7 others who are rated 4 Stars.

Florida already has 3 Five Stars and 7 Four Stars, LSU 5 Four Stars, Alabama

5 Four Stars, Auburn 2 Five Stars and 6 Four Stars. Tennessee's commitments

include 2 Four Stars and 0 Five Stars. OF COURSE, STARS BESIDE A NAME BY A RATING SERVICE DO NOT TRANSLATE INTO TOUCHDOWNS, SACKS, OR VICTORIES, BUT YOU CAN BET THAT IF TENNESSEE HAD COMMITMENTS FROM A BUMPER CROP OF 4 AND 5 STARS, THE TENNESSEE FANS WOULD BE TRUMPETING IT FROM THE HILLTOPS.

I didn't say it started it just gets going more in January because college coaches don't get the time to visit like they do until there season is over. One thing to consider Tennessee went from a top 15 class to a top 7 or 8 in one day last year during the Army All-American bowl when 4 players commited and then jumped to a Top 3 class during the hours leading up and during signing day!

4. Tennessee must recruit well outside of the state to be competitive. Many of the SEC states around us--Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Louisiana--have high school football programs which are superior to Tennessee's. In the past, Tennessee has relied upon wide receivers from outside the state

Tennessee always gets some from in state last year they signed 7 in-staters.