Top 10 In 1A

ptguard12

Tops in 1A

1. Jackson County (5-0) - The Lady Blue Devils breezed through Hall of Fame games, beat AA rival Smith County, and took down two AAA teams in Sullivan East and McMinn County. This start was expected, but they'll get real tests this week when they have to go on the road against Upperman (expect another win) and host Clarkrange (the game everyone has waited for).

1. Clarkrange (5-0) - Compared to their rivals, they've played the tougher schedule thus far defeating Oliver Springs, Oneida, Davidson Academy, Powell, and White County. However, despite winning all of those games, they were at times a little inconsistent. This week I'll finally get to break this tie at the top when they face Jackson County on Friday.

3. Gleason (4-0) - Lost to Obion County in their 1st game of the year, which luckily for them was a Hall of Fame game. However, they have looked extremely impressive ever since, defeating last year's AA Champions, Chester County, by 12 and AAA Runner-Ups, Dyersburg, by 24. Throw into the mix easy wins over West Carroll and Dyer County, and Gleason appears to be clicking on a cylinders. They'll get District 14A play started on the 29th with a game against Lake County which could set the bar for the entire district. They also play South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> on Friday in what should be a pretty easy game for the Lady Bulldogs.

4. Perry County (2-0) - Took out McEwen and Waverly Central easily, but got absolutely destroyed by Martin Westview in a Hall of Fame game. The Lady Vikings are struggling without Edney, who is rumored to be out until at least mid-December. They should be alright in their early District 12A matchups against Collinwood and Frank Hughes on Tuesday and Friday, but will need someone on that bench of theirs to step up and produce some offense if they expect to beat Moore County on Saturday.

5. Summertown (3-0) - Speaking of a team struggling with injuries, the Lady Eagles are experiencing their own problems with injuries to arguably their best player in Emily Franks and to a strong all-around player in Kayla Clark. With the absence of Franks they got exploited inside by Lincoln County in a Hall of Fame game, but managed to pull out wins over Richland, Oakland (AAA), and Station Camp (AA). They should do relatively fine this week as they have Lewis County (AA) and Hampshire during the week before they'll get a real test on Saturday when they have to travel to Forrest.

6. Forrest (4-1) - Lost to a strong FRA team in a Hall of Fame game by 1 and then to a pretty decent Ezell Harding by 3. However, they have also won games against Independence, LaVergne, Daniel Boone, and Santa Fe. I believe they too are struggling with injuries, but that shouldn't be a problem against Culleoka and FC Boyd Christian this week. It may be a problem, however, when they have to take on an equally talented Summertown on Saturday.

7. Oliver Springs (2-2) - Showed promise against Clarkrange and York Institute losing both close contests by 9. However, they got taken to town by AAA Oak Ridge in a 28 point loss. They did take down Greenback by 13 and Sullivan South by 15 in games that they were suppose to win. They'll have to find a way to win the big ones if they want to impress me. Up this week they'll have Harriman (decent) and Sunbright (not so decent) so I expect 2 more wins for the Lady Cats.

8. Oneida (2-1) - Lost to William Blount by 1 in a game they should have won and to Clarkrange by 14 (but it could have been much worse). They did defeat Rutledge and Hancock County, but then again most teams do. They apparently have plenty of offense, but are in desperate need of some defense as they are giving up way to many points to some not so great teams.

9. Union City (3-0) - Defeated Clarksville (AAA) and Kenwood (AAA) both by double digits. Also took down a strong, yet inconsistent Obion County (AA) by 5 points in a huge rivalry game. I underestimated them earlier, but if they continue to play like they have, they will give Gleason and Lake County all they can handle in District 14A. Next up for them is Halls on the 29th and Humboldt on the 2nd.

10. Wayne County (3-1) - Defeated Lewis County (AA), Loretto (AA), and Lawrence County (AAA) all by double digits. However, they lost to a improving, but still bad Hickman County (AAA) team by 15 and a very athletic Tupelo, MS, team by 11. Anderson has improved and Daniel suprised me, but they still have a long way to go in terms of consistency and intensity. This week they have Zion Christian and rival Collinwood in what should be, if they play the way they are capable, 2 wins.

Best of the Rest: Lake County (11), Westmoreland (12), Moore County (13), Red Boiling Springs (14), Coalfield (15)

Let me be the 1st to say that when trying to do these rankings, Hall of Fame games make it unnecessarily difficult. Some teams count them, some don't. I try to take every loss into account, but if a team decides not to count the loss on their record, then I reflect it that way when I post their record beside their name (just in case someone gets confused by someone's perfect record yet I talk about a loss they had). Also, if your team has a game that is not on the schedule or has not been reported, please fix that. I can find many scores in other places (newspapers, school websites, word of mouth), but it would be much easier just to find them on here.

Edited by ptguard12

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another good job!! Also, I am glad to see Union City on your radar screen! Another one for you to remember is Greenfield. They play about 10 girls who really play hard, and are going to get better.

ANother good job, Oh to be at that Jackson Co-Clarkrange game....I would have to bring my little red wagon, and fill it full of gold balls!

ptguard.....you do a great job with your rankings.....1-3 are indisputable.......after that, it is really anybody's guess. Perry County is not 4th without Edney, more like 8th or so..........but they will be there at the end when Edney is healthy.

Greenfield will make some noise as well, but, like another team I know, they need someone to step up and be a go-to type player...... :thumb:

Perry County will stay in that 4th spot as long as they continue to win without Edney. Granted they lost to Martin Westview by 30 (I expect everyone below them in the rankings would probably suffer the same kind of loss to the Lady Chargers), but it was a Hall of Fame game and does not count, at least not in their record.

I gave Trenton Peabody the benefit of the doubt by putting them 15th in my preseason poll knowing they would struggle after losing the kind of talent that they did. I figured Perry and Meece might be able to carry them but apparently not after getting smoked by both Milan and Lexington.

Greenfield is well in my sights. I'm keeping an eye on them and I expect them to do some great things this year in 14A. In my opinion, they are currently just outside that top 15.

As for Union City, they somewhat surprised me. The win over Obion County (AA) was huge considering Obion defeated Gleason to start the season. However, Obion is very up and down at times and Union City could have just caught them on one of their down nights. For now though, the Lady Golden Tornadoes appear to be a strong threat coming out of District 14A.

I'd bet Oliver Springs and Oneida climb in your poll. They both lost to Clarkrange, but with Oliver Springs working on youth and Oneida experimenting with their line-up and chemistry, they will be much better in Feb. and March. I'd say they leap frog Forrest, Summertown, and maybe even Perry Co. Is that a possibility Pt12?

:) Kaz :)

Yeah, it's a possibility if Perry County, Summertown, and Forrest all struggle and Oliver Springs and Oneida start to show me something. I am not impressed with Oliver Springs 28 point loss to Oak Ridge (but I do realize that they are a AAA powerhouse, so I gave them some credit there), nor does Oneida's 1 point loss to William Blount or 7 point win over Rutledge impress me all that much (returning what they return they should be winning these games by at least double digits). Neither team has beat a real tough team yet and quality wins come far and few between in East Tennessee once district play gets started. Each team will have a chance to show me what they can do when they face off on December 9th.

I'm not doubting your judgement at all. Let me be one of the first to tell you that I'm impressed with your opinion and assessments of the teams in your top ten. I sure would like to influence your judgement regarding the East Tennessee section of Single A. It will all run through either Coalfield, OS, or Oneida in the East. Only two will make it to M'boro, but they all three are quality teams. The teams that make it will make a splash when they get there, too, because they all be like great food - SEASONED!

:) Kaz :)

Tops in 1A

1. Jackson County (5-0) - The Lady Blue Devils breezed through Hall of Fame games, beat AA rival Smith County, and took down two AAA teams in Sullivan East and McMinn County. This start was expected, but they'll get real tests this week when they have to go on the road against Upperman (expect another win) and host Clarkrange (the game everyone has waited for).

1. Clarkrange (5-0) - Compared to their rivals, they've played the tougher schedule thus far defeating Oliver Springs, Oneida, Davidson Academy, Powell, and White County. However, despite winning all of those games, they were at times a little inconsistent. This week I'll finally get to break this tie at the top when they face Jackson County on Friday.

3. Gleason (4-0) - Lost to Obion County in their 1st game of the year, which luckily for them was a Hall of Fame game. However, they have looked extremely impressive ever since, defeating last year's AA Champions, Chester County, by 12 and AAA Runner-Ups, Dyersburg, by 24. Throw into the mix easy wins over West Carroll and Dyer County, and Gleason appears to be clicking on a cylinders. They'll get District 14A play started on the 29th with a game against Lake County which could set the bar for the entire district. They also play South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> on Friday in what should be a pretty easy game for the Lady Bulldogs.

4. Perry County (2-0) - Took out McEwen and Waverly Central easily, but got absolutely destroyed by Martin Westview in a Hall of Fame game. The Lady Vikings are struggling without Edney, who is rumored to be out until at least mid-December. They should be alright in their early District 12A matchups against Collinwood and Frank Hughes on Tuesday and Friday, but will need someone on that bench of theirs to step up and produce some offense if they expect to beat Moore County on Saturday.

5. Summertown (2-0) - Speaking of a team struggling with injuries, the Lady Eagles are experiencing their own problems with injuries to arguably their best player in Emily Franks and to a strong all-around player in Kayla Clark. With the absence of Franks they got exploited inside by Lincoln County in a Hall of Fame game, but managed to pull out wins over Richland and Oakland (AAA). They should do relatively fine this week as they have Lewis County (AA) and Hampshire during the week before they'll get a real test on Saturday when they have to travel to Forrest.

6. Forrest (4-1) - Lost to a strong FRA team in a Hall of Fame game by 1 and then to a pretty decent Ezell Harding by 3. However, they have also won games against Independence, LaVergne, Daniel Boone, and Santa Fe. I believe they too are struggling with injuries, but that shouldn't be a problem against Culleoka and FC Boyd Christian this week. It may be a problem, however, when they have to take on an equally talented Summertown on Saturday.

7. Oliver Springs (2-2) - Showed promise against Clarkrange and York Institute losing both close contests by 9. However, they got taken to town by AAA Oak Ridge in a 28 point loss. They did take down Greenback by 13 and Sullivan South by 15 in games that they were suppose to win. They'll have to find a way to win the big ones if they want to impress me. Up this week they'll have Harriman (decent) and Sunbright (not so decent) so I expect 2 more wins for the Lady Cats.

8. Oneida (2-1) - Lost to William Blount by 1 in a game they should have won and to Clarkrange by 14 (but it could have been much worse). They did defeat Rutledge and Hancock County, but then again most teams do. They apparently have plenty of offense, but are in desperate need of some defense as they are giving up way to many points to some not so great teams.

9. Union City (3-0) - Defeated Clarksville (AAA) and Kenwood (AAA) both by double digits. Also took down a strong, yet inconsistent Obion County (AA) by 5 points in a huge rivalry game. I underestimated them earlier, but if they continue to play like they have, they will give Gleason and Lake County all they can handle in District 14A. Next up for them is Halls on the 29th and Humboldt on the 2nd.

10. Wayne County (3-1) - Defeated Lewis County (AA), Loretto (AA), and Lawrence County (AAA) all by double digits. However, they lost to a improving, but still bad Hickman County (AAA) team by 15 and a very athletic Tupelo, MS, team by 11. Anderson has improved and Daniel suprised me, but they still have a long way to go in terms of consistency and intensity. This week they have Zion Christian and rival Collinwood in what should be, if they play the way they are capable, 2 wins.

Best of the Rest: Lake County (11), Westmoreland (12), Moore County (13), Red Boiling Springs (14), Coalfield (15)

Let me be the 1st to say that when trying to do these rankings, Hall of Fame games make it unnecessarily difficult. Some teams count them, some don't. I try to take every loss into account, but if a team decides not to count the loss on their record, then I reflect it that way when I post their record beside their name (just in case someone gets confused by someone's perfect record yet I talk about a loss they had). Also, if your team has a game that is not on the schedule or has not been reported, please fix that. I can find many scores in other places (newspapers, school websites, word of mouth), but it would be much easier just to find them on here.

Your post san cause a STING sometimes, but your usually on target. I"m very happy with this one, being a Jackson County Fan. If time permits, keep posting, Most people lose track with the teams outside their little district and these updates are the only way to find out 'THE REST OF THE STORY'. thanks

Believe me, I can cause a lot more then a STING. Just ask fans of Richland, Unaka, or CPA, because I'm not the most popular poster with those people after last season. But I do my rankings as unbiased as possible, while giving the most factual information possible. I watch a lot of teams and I give my honest opinions on those teams. More people like it then dislike it, so I'll continue doing it, whether I cause a STING or not. :thumb:

Edited by ptguard12

Summertown also had a win over Station Camp in the LaVergne Classic

You are correct. I couldn't find the score anywhere and I hadn't talked to any of my Summertown sources, so I wasn't sure if the game had taken place or not. It has been corrected in my poll, but a score still needs to be put in on the scoreboard so that it shows Summertown with the win on their schedule.