Prep X tra Basketball preview

redandblack63

The subject is the Knoxville News sentinels lack of coverage for High schhol Sports. I can't figure out how this is related.

Signing non qualifiers and having players suspended sounds like ever Coleege program in the nation.

Yes, I'm sure Davidson, a conference rival of Coach Schulman's, has signed many non-qualifiers and has had several players arrested. Let's be honest: dissecting and critiquing a 5-6 Vol football team unfortunately sells a sight more newspapers than Knoxville HS basketball.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekends basketball coverage was sub par again. Volleyball got a some nice coverage in Fridays prep xtra. A half page was spent on Alcoa and Maryvilles Football Championship Parade in Sundays paper with a picture. Also an aricle on O.R. Clinton B ball game with no picture.

Shame on all of the Coaches who didn't report their stats for publication in Fridays Prep x tra section. Knox Central was one of them. There is no excuse for this. If the coaches don't promote the sport, team, players, etc... What can we expect for the Local Media.

I know that some schools that are not in Knoxville do not report because they have a local paper and most of the stats for their teams are printed in their local paper. Also, some of the time the information that the prep xtra people put in the paper is not correct. The records of some of the teams is not correct and as has already been said, the reporters or whomever do a poor job of covering sports outside of football. As far as the Knoxville schools not reporting their stats, there is really no excuse for them not to do that. Also, they never call in the scores of their games and if a reporter is not at the game, then the score does not get printed. That is the coaches fault. Either the coach should call it in or have a manager or asst. coach call it in. It takes about 5 minutes. Of course, if a team gets drilled they prolly don't want to call it in. It has been my experience that alot of the coaches are there to collect the supplement, show up for the game and a couple of hours practice each non game day and head to the house. There is a major difference in the way that the quality teams prepare for the season and games as opposed to the teams that consistently struggle. Of course that could be said about most anything in life.

Didn't get a paper this morning. How was the Sentinels coverage of last nights area games. Several big games in District 3 AAA and at least one big upset in District 4. Should be plenty of room with no football and the none of the big orange teams in action.

Agree oswego. But was Bearden the only team in action Friday? If it was a football friday night they would have had pictures from several games.

All I ask is give basketball the same quality coverage that the Sentinel gives football. Until they do I will consider the coverage sub par.

I don't think you get it. The reason the KNS covers all of the football games on Friday is because there is a seperate section on Saturday.

There is no separate section for basketball. Basketball games are played every night of the week except Sunday. Football is geared to one night.

And why do they happen a seprate section? It's advertising driven. Advertisers support football, do not care to back basketball. Call the KNS and ask them.

I don't think you get it. The reason the KNS covers all of the football games on Friday is because there is a seperate section on Saturday.

There is no separate section for basketball. Basketball games are played every night of the week except Sunday. Football is geared to one night.

And why do they happen a seprate section? It's advertising driven. Advertisers support football, do not care to back basketball. Call the KNS and ask them.

Can't totally disagree. So I would suggest that the sentilnel run a special section on Saturday similar to football. As far as advertising goes. Chop House, Food City, among other sponsor Holiday Tournaments. I am sure that if the Sentinel would dig around they could find the advertising $ to make it work. So i disagree that advertisers wouldn't support Basketball.

I have indeed contacted Drew Edwards, John Adams, etc... and your right they offer the excuse we just don't have the money.

Now on anothe issue involving Basketball coverage. many coaches are not reporting scores, stats etc.. to the Sentinel. There is no excuse for this. The following is a list of schools that did not report last week.

Girls:

Alcoa, BEARDEN, CAK, CENTRAL, Clinton, GP, Greeneville, HALLS, Harriman, Heritage, Jeff Co. Maryville, McMinn Central, Midway, Morristown E., Oakdale, O.R., Peigeon Forge, Rutledge, Scott, TSD, Wartburg.

Boys:

Alcoa, BEARDEN, C.C., CARTER, CENTRAL, Claiborne Co., Cosby, G.P., Jeff. Co., Morristown East, Oakdale, O.R., Oneida, Pigeon Forge, Rutledge, Scott, Sweetwater,, TSD, W.B.

Many of the schools are out outside of Knoxville but the one in Knoxville should make every effort to get info to the Sentinel.

Pigeon Forge boys stats were reported. This is why a lot of teams don't always report. The time is taken to send them in and they are not put in the paper or a lot of the time they are put incorrectly. After years of this people get tired of sending in stats. Also, you have teams like the PF girls who go 30-5 last year, at one point ranked 2 in the state, and still were not ranked in prepxtra. They had an unbeleivable year and had not one article written on them in the Knews Sentinel.

They are now listed as a team to watch this week in the prepxtra poll and they are 1-6 (well now 2-6). They are obviously going on last years team and have NO CLUE how this years team is doing. Why should they take the time to report to the Knews Sentinel. It's a joke and they can make all the excuses they want, it's still a joke.

Pigeon Forge boys stats were reported. This is why a lot of teams don't always report. The time is taken to send them in and they are not put in the paper or a lot of the time they are put incorrectly. After years of this people get tired of sending in stats. Also, you have teams like the PF girls who go 30-5 last year, at one point ranked 2 in the state, and still were not ranked in prepxtra. They had an unbeleivable year and had not one article written on them in the Knews Sentinel.

They are now listed as a team to watch this week in the prepxtra poll and they are 1-6 (well now 2-6). They are obviously going on last years team and have NO CLUE how this years team is doing. Why should they take the time to report to the Knews Sentinel. It's a joke and they can make all the excuses they want, it's still a joke.

Exactly Tiger Ball! Thats my point. The Sentinel is full of excuses for their incompetence. I would encourage folks to contact the Sentinel and voice their concerns.

I am making every effort to give Drew Edwards and the Sentinel staff the benefit of the doupt but I continue to hear stories like yours which indicates the Sports dept. of the Sentinel just isn't getting the job done.

Actually Tigerball12, last season I do remember reading an article on Pigeon Forge girls basketball. It was about the Farragut boys coach's daughter who played for Pigeon Forge.

And I looked at PrepXtra and Pigeon Forge boys stats are on there. So maybe it's the coaches who aren't sending stuff in. It's pretty evident that if they send the stats in that they get put in.