Jefferson County Lady Patriots

DZbettin

So it looks like it may be an....interesting.... :thumb: .... year in Jefferson County. The Lady Patriots went 1-2 in the Chop House Classic with their lone win being over a sub-par Central team.

It's to be expected though. Coach Potts used a starting lineup of a senior, a junior, a sophomore and two freshman Saturday. Three freshman and four sophomores will be expected to contribute HEAVILY this season. Bodes well for the future, but who knows about this year. They are talented and athletic though.

Here is the run down from Saturday's game.

Sophomore Kelsey Elliott led Jeff Co with 20 points on 8-of-12 shooting - four three pointers

Sophomore Laura Potts 12 points - 6 rebounds

Freshmen Lauren Lyke and Chelsea Whiteside 11 and 10

Sophomore Katisha Mattison 10 points

Senior Ashley Kyle 9 points 6 rebounds

The Lady Patriots will be at home for both games this week. South Doyle on Tuesday and Greeneville on Friday. Games start at 7:30 p.m.

I believe that early on, the games are going to run similar to what happened in the tournament. We had one game (Karns) whre we looked sharp, played hard, and shot reasonably well. We got beat by one hot shooter who didn't come close to duplicating that the rest of the tournament.

Then we have a game where we couldn't throw it in the ocean. And then the Central game, we shot really well. Hopefully we have many more games like games 1 and 3.

It is going to take some time for this group to get used to each other, and for Coach Potts to best understand their capabalities. I think if they can weather the storm early, they have a chance to be pretty good as the season wears on.

Last year, if we weren't shooting good, you had the two skyscrappers to pull us out. We don't have that luxury this year, so every night is going to be a battle.

The schedule is front loaded with home games, hopefully we can get our legs under us before we have to play alot on the road.

The other good news is that the whole conference, except West, is young. Greeneville has a lot of talent, but it is young talent.

I am looking forward to it. It is definitely going to be a different look from last year. :thumb:

11/29/2005

Lady Patriots 56 - South Doyle 45

By Qtrs

1 - 9-7

2 - 7-7

3 - 14-18

4 - 26-13

Very sluggish first half. Neither team could find any kind of tempo. Pace really picked up in the third qtr. Jeff County had an early spurt, only to see South Doyle come back and take the lead entering the 4th qtr 32-30. SD hit the first 4 points of the 4th qtr, and then a 3 pointer by Laura Potts, a steal by Kyle, and then a 3 pointer by Elliott off an in bounds play tied it up. 4 free throws and a 3 pointer by Lauren Lyke put the Lady Pats up 7, and then they closed it out.

The team went 11-12 from the free throw line in the 4th qtr, and 14-16 for the game.

Scoring -

Kyle 14 points 5-6 FT 1 three

Potts 11 points 1-2 FT 2 threes

Chambers 9 points 5-5 FT

Elliott 9 points 1-1 FT 2 threes

Mattison 8 points 2-2 FT

Lyke 5 points 1 three

Lots of hustle, lots of hard work. Good game ladies!!

Friday - GreenEVILle comes to town!!! :blink: 1st IMAC game!!!!

GO LADY PATS!!!!!!

Hey Raiderray,

excuse the typo

:blink:

Didn't make it to the game tonight. Went over to Jeff-Maury. Talked to Coach Potts, was pleased with the way the younger girls hit the big shots late in the game. Also mentioned something about Haley going down around the middle of the game and coming back to help the team with a big fourth quarter.

Haley did some really good things last night. There were several situations in the 4th Qtr where we had breakouts, but missed the shot and Haley hustled down the court, got the rebound and either got the shot back up or got fouled. And then she made the fouls shots (5 for 5 in the 4th qtr).

This team is going to have to work hard every night to stay in games. If they work as hard as they did last night, they will keep winning games. I don't think you are going to see any 64-23 games this year, but what happened last night, we just made ALL the hustle plays late, and that is why the game ended up an 11 point diffference.

We are going to have a definite size disadvantage Friday night, but we can lean on them, and hopefully distract them enough to stay in it. Then anything can happen.

JS....I talked to momma last night. Keep that arm in that sling, and work hard this time on your rehab. I know this season looks bleak, but there is nothing wrong with a red shirt season. I hope we see you over the holidays.

:lol::D:D:D

GO LADY PATRIOTS!

Well, Greeneville does have a lot of talent, most of it wrapped up in Nicole Dickson. Lady Patriots put up a good fight, but could not make the adjustments in the 2nd half to stay with Greeneville friday night.

Score by qtrs:

Greeneville 10 13 16 12 51

Jeff County 9 9 10 14 42

Kyle - 19 points, 1 three

Elliott - 8 points 2 threes

Batey - 5 points, 1 three

Lyke - 5 points, 1 three

Mattison - 3 points

Potts - 2 points

After a great game from the free throw line Tuesday, we were 3-10 Friday night. We battled hard, and never gave up. Coach Potts talked on the radio afterwards about how these girls enjoy playing together, like being with each other, and he can see improvement, but they have to bring the things they work on in practice to the games.

As to the rest of the IMAC, I saw where East may have lost their point guard for the season, and is West playing two groups of 5, like line changes in hockey?

DZ...I would guess you have more complete stats than I gave. Also, great crowd Friday, thanks to everyone for coming out and supporting the team.

Tuesday - at Cocke County 6:30pm

Friday - Morristown West at home 6:30pm

Saturday - Dobyns Bennet at home 5:00pm

Edited by raiderray

Lady Patriots 57 Cocke County 39

Ladies started fast tonight, at one point up 14-4 in the first qtr. Cocke County battled back to make it 19-13 . Both teams scored 10 in the second quarter, JC could never pull away, CC could never get it tied up.

Lady Pats owned the 3rd qtr, outscoring CC 19-6, and really put it away. Potts emptied the bench with 4 minutes left.

Score by qtrs;

Jeff County 19 10 19 9 57

Cocke Cty 13 10 6 10 38

Kyle - 23 points, 2 threes

Mattison - 10 points

Elliott - 8 points, 1 three

Lyke - 7 points 1 three

Potts - 5 points

Chambers 2 points

Whiteside 2 points

Big game Friday night against West, need everyone out cheering the ladies on!!!

:thumb::D:thumb::D

Big news tonight, the men win 66-56!!!!!!!!!

GO LADY PATS!!!!!

Well, Greeneville does have a lot of talent, most of it wrapped up in Nicole Dickson. Lady Patriots put up a good fight, but could not make the adjustments in the 2nd half to stay with Greeneville friday night.

Score by qtrs:

Greeneville 10 13 16 12 51

Jeff County 9 9 10 14 42

Kyle - 19 points, 1 three

Elliott - 8 points 2 threes

Batey - 5 points, 1 three

Lyke - 5 points, 1 three

Mattison - 3 points

Potts - 2 points

After a great game from the free throw line Tuesday, we were 3-10 Friday night. We battled hard, and never gave up. Coach Potts talked on the radio afterwards about how these girls enjoy playing together, like being with each other, and he can see improvement, but they have to bring the things they work on in practice to the games.

As to the rest of the IMAC, I saw where East may have lost their point guard for the season, and is West playing two groups of 5, like line changes in hockey?

DZ...I would guess you have more complete stats than I gave. Also, great crowd Friday, thanks to everyone for coming out and supporting the team.

Tuesday - at Cocke County 6:30pm

Friday - Morristown West at home 6:30pm

Saturday - Dobyns Bennet at home 5:00pm

Give the line on tonoghts game vs. West. West is very fast and has some good shooters this year!!!!

Sorry, but my work firewall doesn't let me go to message boards, so I didn't see the question until I got home AFTER the game.

If I had, I would have realisticly said, West by 6-9 points, and with 50 seconds left, I would have been looking pretty good. Then the Lady Pats turned up the heat even more, and came from 7 down to have the winning points roll off the rim as the buzzer sounded!

What a great IMAC basketball game! :)

West 11 9 14 13 47

Jeff Cty 10 9 14 13 46

Biggest lead for Jeff County was early, I think it was 7-2. Biggest lead for West was late at 47-40.

Tied at 40 after Elliott hit a three from the corner on an inbounds play, West got the next 7 points on three pointers by Jones and Moss, sandwiched around a Phipps free thow. Potts got fouled, made both free shots, a 5 second call gave Kyle a chance to make a 3 from White Pine, and then a steal on the next inbounds and a foul put Potts at the line with 8 seconds. Potts made the first, but missed the second, ball knocked out of bounds. This time West got the ball in to Phipps, who was fouled with 6.7 seconds. Phipps missed the front end of the 1&1, long rebound knocked out on the side court by West with 3.7 seconds. Kyle got the inbounds, went the length of the court, but her hurried layup rolled off. :(

Individual stats -

Kyle 18 points 2 threes, 6-7 free throws

Potts - 12 points 8-11 free throws

Mattison - 7 points, 3-3 free throws

Elliott - 7 points, 1 three, 4-6 free throws

Lyke - 2 points

Coach Potts said after the game that "we are playing pretty good sloppy games" right now. As these girls gain experience, I would think the turnover count would lessen a bunch. If West is the cream of the IMAC this year, we showed we can play with them. The ladies NEVER gave up tonight, and despite thet fact that West played 10, we seemed in better shape at the end then they did.

JCHS plays DB tomorrow, could be tough for the girls to rebound from tonight's disappointment, but they have every reason to hold their heads high. :)

GO LADT PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!