Gibson Co. @ McNairy

McNBobcat

McNairy coach "best in the west"???? I would think that he would have to be behind David Russell with 4(?) gold balls, Randy Frazier with 2, Rick Rudesill with 2 (boys, but does wonders with the girls as well), Lee Pipken with 1. I would go as far as to say that there are 5 or 6 good young coaches that are "better" than your guy!

Does talent just show up at places like Bradford and Gleason? It is called coaching, and molding kids into ball players. I would dare say that all those Ms Basketballs might not had won those awards and gold balls in other programs!

McNairy should be at the state tournament this year, all they have to do is send Chester Co (and they are down, double team Thomas) to Loretto for the substate round. If they make it and beat somebody (a district 13AA team :rolleyes:, then he'll get his due.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradford may be a small town, but they had superstar players that played there with God-given talents. How many Miss Basketballs did they have while Russell was there? Tuggles, Street and Henson, just after he left. Plus, they have had two Miss Basketballs after he left.

How many Miss Basketballs has McNairy had over the years? Try zero.

Coach Russell is similar to Phil Jackson. It is not like he went to some school that has never won before and made them into a power. Gibson Co. has been winning for years and will probably keep winning in the future.

I'm not intending to disrespect Russell at all. I just want to say that Coach Lott is the best girls coach in West Tennessee. Just ask unbiased coaches and they will tell you the same thing.

If he is so good why hasn't won a gold ball or even a silver one. Or even tell me how many times he has been to the state tournament. Not saying that Coach Lott is not a good Coach he is a very good coach but he has had good players to play for him also. You can't say that Russell only succeeds because he has good players. Bradford had not won a thing before coach russell got their and 4 balls later you have a great coach. Bradford and Gleason have both had great coaches and great players, but how many great atheletes never become great players because they were never coached. Every town has great atheletes its just wether they were developed into great players. In my opinion if Russell or Frazier were at Mcnairy they would have had teams just as good or maybe better.

Coach Lott is a great coach and I think he is one of the best girls coach not only in West TN but the state also. I'm from Selmer and had him as a teacher and he's a great guy. However, I don't think he is the best in West TN. Also, just cause a coach got a gold ball or silver ball doesn't mean they are a great coach. Some coaches just had some real good talent that made up for the coaching flaws. I'm not saying that about the coaches that have been listed because they are great caoches but many of times that has happened. I agree with what coaching done for Bradford and Gleason because it did make a difference. However, I don't like comparing coaches that coach at different classes. I think each class has to be coached different but that's my opinion. The statement that McNairy never had really any talent was way off base. McNairy has had some real good players come through. I know in the early to mid 90's they were real good but that talent dropped off up until about three years ago. Three years ago, they made it to sub-state and loss a game I thought they should have won and last year I thought they underacheived. I thought they should have went to the state . But, the last two seasons when iit becomes tournament time they seem to lose focus which is uncommon for Coach Lott's team. Last year they had 3 girls sign to play college ball and this year team should have four or maybe five sign to play. Four of them are underclassmen so they should be real good next year to but they do not have alot of depth. But last year's team will probably end up having 7 girls sign to play college ball and that's why I think they underacheived. Sorry for such a long message.

great post...by the way it should be 5 BALLS LATER... russell got bradford 5 state championship....6 if you count the one he past up to come to gibson co and they went undefeated and got the gold...a baby could have coached that team to the gold after what russell built and left

Your right...those were his players who won the 6th Gold Ball. Can't remember the coach who was there, but he was a talent chaser...he's gone somewhere in middle tennessee I think.

Your right...those were his players who won the 6th Gold Ball. Can't remember the coach who was there, but he was a talent chaser...he's gone somewhere in middle tennessee I think.

LOL...what was that talent chasers name? Kermit the Frog could have given that team water at the breaks and went undefeated! Although, they had one tight game in the sectional at UTM, I think, but Jessica Henson handled the heat!

Yeah, Bradford was quite the powerhouse before Russell got there. :D

And also, what you are saying is that McNairy has had no talent in the last 20+ years? :D:thumb:

i beg to differ. coach lott has put the power in his players. it has not been handed to him. he works hard and very rarely gives his girls a break. he expects the best and only the best

i beg to differ. coach lott has put the power in his players. it has not been handed to him. he works hard and very rarely gives his girls a break. he expects the best and only the best

so what are you saying? Russell puts the power in his players, as do all good coaches?

He expects the best and only the best, why hasn't McNairy been to the " Boro? It isn't because of the competition....

It's called having a great gameplan against a team you shouldn't beat. It was a great strategy that barely failed and it also put West TN in the national spotlight (articles on espn.com, si.com, etc.)

If I recall correctly (and I usually do), a few weeks before that game (end of regular season), Chester BARELY beat McNairy on a last second shot, WITHOUT stalling the ball and without one of your better players. Why did McNairy feel the regional game was unwinnable? It put them in the spotlight alright, and started debates around the country about whether high school ball should go to a shot clock, in order to avoid those types of game plans. Watching the other Mc-CC games, I was perplexed that McNairy felt this was their only chance to win. Not much faith in your team.

Anyway, Coach Lott is a good coach or he would not have survived 30 something years in the business, and at the same school. You should feel fortunate to have such a dedicated coach. And he should feel fortunate to have such loyal fans. :lol:

so what are you saying? Russell puts the power in his players, as do all good coaches?

He expects the best and only the best, why hasn't McNairy been to the " Boro? It isn't because of the competition....

Mcnairy's girls have no competition they can beat anyone. in our district any given team can beat anyone on any given night. you're the one that said coach lott had his talent handed to him and i was making the statement that he develops his players and that is why mcnairy girls is a powerhouse