Oneida vs. Wartburg

youdontknowme

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wartburg isn't always great. Two Years ago they finished fourth in their district and lost to Cosby by 1 point in the first round. That year Cosby lost their substate game by 3 points. Last year Wartburg just kinda came apart in the second round of the region tournament and lost to CAK by 20. At the very end of the season though they beat CAK by 3, but had them down by about 25 in the third quarter and CAK started hitting just about everything they threw up. The talent has been there. They just haven't put it together when it counted. Wartburg has one substate appearance, which was in 1988 I think. They haven't made it that far since then.

Edited by harvo20

Wartburg beat Oneida by 21 and they didnt play dj shannon and i think melton got took out either 2nd quarter or 2nd half. This year aint oneida's best year but i think wartburg has to be good if they beat them by that much with 2 of there best players not even playin much at all. Who does Wartburg play next? Who do you think is there toughest team to play on the schedule?

thank you harvo,

I am going to watch wartburg carefully. according to their kids and supporters they are the best and the team to beat. That type of boasting makes others want to knock them off. I now understand that their team history is not that good in backing it up. I might even travel to watch their games but if history repeats itself, it will not be in march.

Who does Wartburg play next? Who do you think is there toughest team to play on the schedule?

Wartburg fans can over look teams that they play, but the players better not. Yes, they are good. But they can only be great if they choose to make themselves the toughest team on their schedule. Don't play your opponents, play yourself, and challenge yourselves. That is how to take Wartburg to the next level. Just ask your coach... he knows. :thumb:

Wartburg is a very good team and they have a very good coach. Oneida is not as bad as they played the other night but untill they learn to slow down and play under controll, the games that should be close will not be. Everything does not have to be a fastbreak and there is nothing wrong with holding the ball. They are a very young team and when they figure out there is nothing wrong with playing a slower paced game, combined with much improved free throw shooting, they will become more competative and win the games that people don't expect them to win.

Look, everyone can go on sayin that Wartburg won't make the STATE. But I know Jeremy Shannon pretty good and he is the guy on that team that WILL MAKE SURE, that his Bulldogs go to STATE. It won't be easy, and they might lose a few games, but the heart he has, and it being his senior year, he will do everything in his power to make sure that they go to stae.

Ghustler, arent they the same team as last year??

Are they better or is their heart bigger that will take them past the regionals for the first time in nearly 20 years??

What I have read, Wartburg spends more time talkin than walkin. Or was last year's ending loss a choke?? Have you ever even been to Murfreesboro to watch the State teams??

Threeball will tell you it is all defense and amazingly I heard Wartburg played zip.

I wish your team the best but I have a feeling your guys will be hitting baseball in March rather than booking your rooms in Murfreesboro. B)

Wartburg is very strong at home. See them at Oneida last year, they lost only to win at their place by 30. Perhaps the reason they never made it to state is because they are not comfortable outside of their gym. See the district tournament last year. They played exceptionally well, but ended up losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs, only one round further than Oneida made it. They have to play on the road like they do at home to make it to state, and they have to find some shooting from the outside. Shannon didn't make a shot outside of the lane, but he didn't have to. Will he be able to do that all season against better defenders? I doubt it. He's gonna end up getting beat up and possibly injured with all the hits he takes and that maybe what happened to him last year. Did his performance slack off in the region tournament? It wouldn't surprise me if it did. Will it this year? More than likely if his teammates don't stop getting technicals when they shouldn't. Wartburg can be very good, but some particular players think they are better than what they actually are and get dumb techs. Wartburg cannot win with Melton on the bench. He needs to learn to control his anger and use it, not take it out on people. He's good, but he could be great if he can calm down in some situations. If they can avoid injuries and stay humble, they could be very good. Will this happen? We will see.

Excuse me but I do believe that the dogs did WIN with Melton on the bench and DJ Shannon not even playing. So as for your lilttle comment that the dogs can't win with Melton on the bench, guess what they did. And not only was Melton out Shannon was out to. AS for the rest of you people that don't believe in the dogs, don't worry about it because I know the dogs ain't, it's just pure MOTIVATION to them to strive for nothing but the BEST and so far thats what they are doing. The dogs have way more HEART this year than they did last year just for the simple fact that they have more kids this year that believe in themselves and there teammates. If you ask me what the dogs will be doing in MARCH, I would say that they will be making there first appearance to the STATE TOURNEY. WHY do I think that you ask? Because this team has HEART and a ton of it to!!!!!!!! And to answer some people's questions, YES this team has more HEART than last years!!!!