Mt. Juliet head coach

Sweep Left

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new school is, at minimum, two years away. Not near as many athletes as you think. The Wilson Central zone has most of the "hot spots" for athlete-type housing opportunities. The Mount Juliet zone is a hotbed for DCA, FC, and Goodpasture type athletes. Say what you want, but it is the truth. As long as the county remains so tight with its tax dollars and the school system keeps getting the low end of the stick, those students that can afford private schools will keep leaving . Believe me, as a Mount Juliet resident I enjoy my lower taxes. However, it is obvious that they are killing their own school system. Of course, my son goes to Goodpasture...................................but for a very different reason. At least now Mt. Juliet has a principal that knows what he is doing.

A new school is, at minimum, two years away. Not near as many athletes as you think. The Wilson Central zone has most of the "hot spots" for athlete-type housing opportunities. The Mount Juliet zone is a hotbed for DCA, FC, and Goodpasture type athletes. Say what you want, but it is the truth. As long as the county remains so tight with its tax dollars and the school system keeps getting the low end of the stick, those students that can afford private schools will keep leaving . Believe me, as a Mount Juliet resident I enjoy my lower taxes. However, it is obvious that they are killing their own school system. Of course, my son goes to Goodpasture...................................but for a very different reason. At least now Mt. Juliet has a principal that knows what he is doing.

Agreed, MJ loses just enough decent athletes to the privates for it to hurt programs like football that rely on big numbers of students to participate. And WC is definitely where all the growth is - at least in the western part of the county right now.

As a side note, I've heard talk about a "LaGuardo" high school coming down the pike. I'm sure it is 5-10 years away, but have you heard anything about this?

There is a lot on the plate for the Wilson County school system both now and in the near future. We will start scratching dirt for the new Mt. Juliet High School in January, (opeming fall, 2008), along with the expansion of Wilson Central. Watertown is getting a new K-8 building starting in February. Also, we will be replacing Lebanon High school in the next 2-3 years as the sites have been narrowed to 3 parcels of land. The North Central high school you are talking about is 6-7 years away in our current 10 year plan but could be moved up depending on the growth rates. North Central will be located in the Laguardo area as you stated. Relative to the zoning. concurrent with the new Mt. Juliet high school opening, the zoning will all be reorganized with the Benders Ferry and Hwy 70 corridor east to 109 likely going to Mt. Juliet.

Relative to losing kids to the privates, many people are unaware that the median household income in Mt. Juliet is $78,000 per year. That puts Mt. Juliet ranked 17th in the state behind such places as Belle Meade, Signal Mountain, Franklin, etc.. However, Wilson County, (because of Mt. Juliet's ranking) is ranked second only to Williamson in the entire state for household income. (Watertown is 115th and Lebanon is 127th in the ranking). That being said, perhaps the privates are where the folks want to send their kids, right or wrong, life is full of choices.

Edited by flngrvy