ELA named COACH OF THE YEAR

southernpride

Congratulations to Coach Atkins for being named Coach of the Year by the Free Press (AP) in Eastern North Carolina. He took over a team on August 1st of this year that had only been to the state playoffs one time in school history. There was ZERO expectation of more than one or two victories this season in what has been described as one of the toughest 2A regions in the state (they only have four classifications) and he broke all the school records winning seven games this season and taking his team to the playoffs for only the second time in the schools 42 year history. He had over 4 games of 400 yards or more and that says a lot for his style of football. Also, his starting QB broke six school records this year. I spoke to him on the phone yesterday and he said the article would be in Sundays paper.

Again, Congratulations CUZ and way to go.

It's too bad he had to go to NC to land a head coaching position. I know both he and his wife are very happy on the East Coast but I would love to see him back here in God's country. If you need a head coach and are on a search committee you can't go wrong with Coach Atkins. Let's try and get him back in Tennessee in the next few years!

Edited by caesar

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to Coach Atkins for being named Coach of the Year by the Associated Press in Eastern North Carolina. He took over a team on August 1st of this year that had only been to the state playoffs one time in school history. There was ZERO expectation of more than one or two victories this season in what has been described as one of the toughest 2A regions in the state (they only have four classifications) and he broke all the school records winning seven games this season and taking his team to the playoffs for only the second time in the schools 42 year history. He had over 4 games of 400 yards or more and that says a lot for his style of football. Also, his starting QB broke six school records this year. I spoke to him on the phone yesterday and he said the article would be in Sundays paper.

Again, Congratulations CUZ and way to go.

It's too bad he had to go to NC to land a head coaching position. I know both he and his wife are very happy on the East Coast but I would love to see him back here in God's country. If you need a head coach and are on a search committee you can't go wrong with Coach Atkins. Let's try and get him back in Tennessee in the next few years!

When the article comes out will a link be put out so that we can access the article?

When the article comes out will a link be put out so that we can access the article?

One of us will definitely put it on here when it comes out. Several of us know which paper it will be in, etc.

ELA, what can I say man? Outstanding job. You know, but some others don't on here, I used to live in that exact area you are coaching in, and it is an incredibly tough place to play and coach HS football. Again, congrats! :D

One of us will definitely put it on here when it comes out. Several of us know which paper it will be in, etc.

ELA, what can I say man? Outstanding job. You know, but some others don't on here, I used to live in that exact area you are coaching in, and it is an incredibly tough place to play and coach HS football. Again, congrats! :D

What area was the that and what is the name of the school he was at?

What area was the that and what is the name of the school he was at?

Kingcohn are you from Dover???

papatj, there are some great places to live and I'm sure he loves NC, but you know there ain't nothing more beautiful than the Hills and Mountains of East TN! :thumb: I'm not a native of TN but I think it is the best place to live! The creeks and streams of TN are some of the best in the nation. Take a hike through the Smokies and tell me is there a better place to live?

Edited by caesar

Kingcohn are you from Dover???

papatj, there are some great places to live and I'm sure he loves NC, but you know there ain't nothing more beautiful than the Hills and Mountains of East TN! :thumb: I'm not a native of TN but I think it is the best place to live! The creeks and streams of TN are some of the best in the nation. Take a hike through the Smokies and tell me is there a better place to live?

I grew up in Middle Tennessee, and though I'm attached to the Nashville area because it's my home, I feel a deeper connection with East Tennessee for the same reasons you mentioned.

ELA, congrats on your success! It's impressive, but it's not surprising.

My only point was that most everyone feels that where they live is the best place for them. And that everyplace is God's country as I believe that he created all of it. As far as taking a hike thru the Smokies, I think that the majority of the Smokies are in the state of North Carolina. Each to their own as far as I'm concerned and that there are plenty of great places to live in addition to the state of Tennessee.

Drove a truck for several years, seen a lot of places, none better than E-Tn. Where else can you be within driving distance (100 miles or so of seven different lakes) where you have over 200 different species of fish, countless rivers and streams, four distinct seasons. You can hike,hunt, camp, watch nature, go four wheelin', rock climbing ,any number of outdoor activities. The Smokey Mtns(been to the Rockies, the Smokies have them beat hands down except for altitude,that was impressive). Dollywood in the cleavage of Pigeon Forge, Chatt. Aquariums, fishing, The Tennesse Vols, Hockey, fishing, the symphony orchestra, golf, some of the best fastpitch in the country, ski, snowboard and did I mention fishing? No beach, but I can get my fill of that a couple of weeks a year. Plus we still say "no mam" and yes sir" If this is not God's country I don't what is..... Did I mention fishing..? :P