JEFF CO 06

EASTSIDEPATFAN46

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does jeff co have a chance in 06 :P

Don't count them out just yet. I attended the parents/coaches meeting last night at Jeff and I can tell you there is alot of support for the coach and coaching staff. Coach U laid out that if we are going to turn this program around it will take everyone's effort. Players, coaches, and parents. If these three all come together this year, and I believe that is already happening, you'll see a different Patriots football team. They'll be hungry for wins and have something to prove as well.

Hope to see ya at some games this year eastside.

Cash sang about walking the line. Now, if them boys are ready to do what Coach U says, and parents back the coaches, they'll have a winner. U can bank on it! It's about time for the parents to grow up and beat the pants off their kids. Whatever happen to taking a mans word over a child. Oh, I forgot, kids don't lie! BS, they lie and tell only what they want heard or known. Now lets get off the nimple and get it own!

Fences have to be mended all the way down to the middle school level as well as with the current players. If the pool of players dries up it doesn`t matter how together everyone is. I`m not sure what kind of relationship Coach Euverard has with the middle school coaches but it would be great to bring in the middle school players to watch practice at the beginning of the season. First and foremost we have to keep the players we already have, and that starts with bring the fun back to football. There is so much drama and negativity that high school is not fun at Jeff County anymore.

I`m not wanting to step on anyone's toes, but Coach Euverard will have to lighten up some and become more approachable to the players. A lot of the problems that have gone on over the last two years could have been avoided with better communication between player and coach.

Fences have to be mended all the way down to the middle school level as well as with the current players. If the pool of players dries up it doesn`t matter how together everyone is. I`m not sure what kind of relationship Coach Euverard has with the middle school coaches but it would be great to bring in the middle school players to watch practice at the beginning of the season. First and foremost we have to keep the players we already have, and that starts with bring the fun back to football. There is so much drama and negativity that high school is not fun at Jeff County anymore.

I`m not wanting to step on anyone's toes, but Coach Euverard will have to lighten up some and become more approachable to the players. A lot of the problems that have gone on over the last two years could have been avoided with better communication between player and coach.

Good idea about the middle schools. As far as the drama, negativity, etc.. at the high school, I noticed the same thing. However, it is not just a football issue. The school does not seem to have the same spirit as it did when I went there. No home coming dance, no letter jackets, etc. I asked a friend who graduated about 98 or so and he said they had all that then. Just my observation, I hope I am wrong.

Anyway, I think at the coaches/parents meeting coach U made it pretty clear that the players and or parents can contact him any time they need to about anything, football related or other wise. He also made clear that practices are not mandatory until the official start of the season. However, if you are going to be the best, you have to but in the extra effort it takes.

I think he put many of the rumors to rest about how he conducts his football program. You have to give the man credit for hanging in there the way he has. Many coaches would have left along time ago. I hope they (coaches, players, parents) pull together this year and prove all the nasayers wrong.

Jefferson County High School has always done a great job of standing behind its coaches.

I have been living in Morristown since the early 80's and can not think of a time when our neighbors to the west did not give full support to their coaches. In this day and time that is comendable. Not always the case here in M'town.

Good idea about the middle schools. As far as the drama, negativity, etc.. at the high school, I noticed the same thing. However, it is not just a football issue. The school does not seem to have the same spirit as it did when I went there. No home coming dance, no letter jackets, etc. I asked a friend who graduated about 98 or so and he said they had all that then. Just my observation, I hope I am wrong.

Anyway, I think at the coaches/parents meeting coach U made it pretty clear that the players and or parents can contact him any time they need to about anything, football related or other wise. He also made clear that practices are not mandatory until the official start of the season. However, if you are going to be the best, you have to but in the extra effort it takes.

I think he put many of the rumors to rest about how he conducts his football program. You have to give the man credit for hanging in there the way he has. Many coaches would have left along time ago. I hope they (coaches, players, parents) pull together this year and prove all the nasayers wrong.

I have known Coach U for a long time. His door has always been open to the players, even former players. I have known players to go to his home with a non football problem. He has always been there for the kids.

Go to DNJ. com ...interesting article on Coach U.

I have known Coach U for a long time. His door has always been open to the players, even former players. I have known players to go to his home with a non football problem. He has always been there for the kids.

Go to DNJ. com ...interesting article on Coach U.

Talking with players from both last year and 2004, one common theme I heard was that there wasn`t much contact between them and Coach U off the field. Saying your door is always open and players actually feeling like they can talk to their coach about things is different. From what I`ve heard Coach U is attempting to change the atmosphere from the way things have been the last 2 years, which is a step in the right direction. Whether it works and things get to back to the way it should be is yet to be seen. It really is a shame it took all this crap, and 2 wasted seasons for this to happen.

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...=73229870800854

Suit against Euverard doesn't fit

By STEVE HEATH

sheath@dnj.com

Sometimes we come across things that are hard to believe.

For example, a 19-page lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court alleging abuse, violation of TSSAA regulations, humiliation, negativity, degradation and deceit against former Oakland High School football coach Marty Euverard.

Two years ago, Euverard went from coaching the Oakland Patriots to the Jefferson County Patriots. The likeness in school nickname is where the similarities end.

The suit was filed on behalf of four former players who were dismissed from the team after their part in passing around a petition to have Euverard fired, according to reports.

Euverard is originally from East Tennessee. The Rogersville native and Cherokee High football star went on to play at MTSU and coached at Cheatham County and Clarksville before moving to Oakland where he had a brief stint as an assistant before leading OHS to a 1998 state championship.

He's the last Rutherford County head coach — he did it twice — to walk off the field against powerhouse Riverdale a winner.

Euverard left Oakland to be closer to home, though he hasn't been welcomed at Jefferson County with open arms.

The Euverard depicted by a small group of Jefferson County former players and parents isn't the same one who was beloved in Murfreesboro. In fact, it's hard to believe that any of the allegations are true, especially if you talk to those who know Euverard best, as well as those that are close to the current situation.

Euverard told the Knoxville News-Sentinel the allegations are "complete lies."

Former Oakland Principal Ken Nolan, now principal at Siegel High School, told the East Tennessee paper the allegations were "out of character for Euverard."

Long after scoring touchdowns in the red, white and blue, former players held the same sentiments as Nolan.

"Coach Euv is my hero," said Robbie Knight, the quarterback of the 1998 state championship team. "He helped me from not knowing what I was going to do in life, to winning a state championship, to getting a four-year scholarship (at Eastern Kentucky), to having a corporate position in one of Forbes Magazine's Top 10 corporations.

"Because I was the quarterback, they called me the leader, but the T-shirts in 1998 read "Marty's Army," and everyone knew he was the real leader of that team."

Knight recalled one day at practice Euverard helped arrange 12 players getting baptized in the school's pool. "He made a difference," said Knight, who offered up phone numbers of nearly all of his 48 former teammates, guaranteeing none would have a negative word about their coach.

"Along with being your coach, he was someone you could talk to about life. I talked to him every Friday (when I was at MTSU)," said former OHS star wide receiver Wardell Alsup. "When I was having a tough time (at MTSU) he sat me down and made me understand how important it is to get your grades."

Let's hope those making the decisions in East Tennessee listen to all the people who know Marty Euverard instead of just a handful with their own personal agendas.

Related news from the Web

Latest headlines by topic:

• High School Football