Is wrestling a safe sport?

Guest mattmom

I am not sure how tough Manson really is. I hear tell that his little bitty momma can wear him out. Speaking of that, I think it is new wrestling mothers, those who have never seen their babies get in the predicaments that can occur on a mat, that can cause real unsafe conditions. I have seen them on the mat. That is scary if you are the kid, or ref, they are after.

He inherits his "thirst" for victory from his old man. I hear he was one tough BWOOYY back in the day. He used to be on duty at this "club" I'd go to. If you got out of line, buddy, he'd jerk a knot in your toe Enough about him. She asks "Is wrestling safe"? HECK NO!! I was announcing ringside down at TV12 when Bearcat Brown came flying off the top turnbuckle wielding a pair of brass knuckles he had hidden in his trunks. His tagteam partner distracted the ref while Bearcat went upside the head of Tojo Yamamoto rendering him unconscious. Unsafe?? YOU KNOW IT!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He inherits his "thirst" for victory from his old man. I hear he was one tough BWOOYY back in the day. He used to be on duty at this "club" I'd go to. If you got out of line, buddy, he'd jerk a knot in your toe Enough about him. She asks "Is wrestling safe"? HECK NO!! I was announcing ringside down at TV12 when Bearcat Brown came flying off the top turnbuckle wielding a pair of brass knuckles he had hidden in his trunks. His tagteam partner distracted the ref while Bearcat went upside the head of Tojo Yamamoto rendering him unconscious. Unsafe?? YOU KNOW IT!!

But, was TOJO's mom there to hydrate him with some traditional sake??? And was this the first match of the day for BCB or at the end of the telecast? It matters.

But, was TOJO's mom there to hydrate him with some traditional sake??? And was this the first match of the day for BCB or at the end of the telecast? It matters.

Gordon Solie has the notes on that memorable match. I'm having lunch with him and Nick Gulas tomorrow at "the Old South Resaurant" on Broad St. I'll check with him and report back.

Harry

Gordon Solie has the notes on that memorable match. I'm having lunch with him and Nick Gulas tomorrow at "the Old South Resaurant" on Broad St. I'll check with him and report back.

Harry

GORDON SOLIE

January 29, 1929 - July 27, 2000

The Dean of professional wrestling

That should be an interesting discussion from the here after. :lol:Cover_Gordon_Solie.jpg

Edited by texas23

These prevention precaution strategies for skin lesions have proven to be beneficial to our team and should help anyone who follows them.

1. Mats should be cleaned before and after every practice with a commercial mat cleaner/disinfectant or bleach solution. If cleaning after practice is not practical due to having to store mats, this can be skipped in favor of a thourough cleaning before practice the next day. (Think about it, if they are rolled whatever is on the floor ends up rolled up into the mat. If they are stacked what was on the floor ends up on the mats.)

2. Shower everyday after practice at the school. The sooner a shower is taken the less likely that lesions will form. UIse good anti-bacterial soap such as Dial or Irish Spring Sport. Body scrubs and regular soaps aren't as good but better than nothing. Lather up, wait a few mionutes then rinse. No sharing of towels should be allowed.

3. The shower room must be clean. If dirty, clean it.

4. The locker room must be clean. If dirty, clean it.

5. Clean workout clothes must be used every day. The problem is that the clean clothes are brought in every day in a duffle bag or whatever. After practice the dirty clothes are put back in that bag. The next day the clean clothes are in contact with the bag the dirty stuff was in. Dirty clothes should be placed in a plastic bag inside the duffle back so as to not contaminate the duffle bag.

6. Kenshield - some swear by it while others think it is a joke. A friend of mine began using it religiously and the only ringworm he has gotten was when he didn't use the product before warming up one of his wrestlers on the practice mats at the state tournament.

7. Keep all open sores and abrasions covered and clean. Neosporin or similar antibacterial ointment is a must to keep out infection.

8. Wrestlers are responsible for informing the coaches of any skin abnormalities that occur on their bodies during the season. Remove suspected infected individuals and send them to the doctor for proper medication.

9. Home remedies for skin lesions can lead to further complications for the wrestler and his team. Avoid using these "fool proof" techniques and stick to the advice of a doctor.

There you go again Harry ,spreading those vicious lies. Pepe Lopez, my partner in crime that day , was asking the ref if by chance he had missed a call earlier in the match. Tojo and I were discussing his 401k plan when Wrestling #2 double dogged dared me to jump off the top turnbuckle into the arms of Tojo. With Tojo being a slightly smaller man than myself, physics took over thus knocking TL out

And by the way, that wasn't brass knuckles in my tights either.

Is wrestling unsafe, I had my elbow dislocated and a bone chipped off my soph yr and couldn't wait until it healed so I could rejoin the mates in the greatest sport of all, unless you consider jumping off the rock at the "Club" say at 2am a sport

I'll agree with Mtnrasslin on the misses. She'd kick his butt and he would like it

Bear Cat Brown

Amen Brother

First year moms are the worst in my mind, from personal experience moms are only worried when their kids first start, so i agree with the matwizard guy on this one, if they cant take it pull them out. its a mans sport.

This is my 2nd year as a wrestling mom, and I have to say, 1st of all, this is definitely a male sport! 2nd: with boys who have played baseball, basketball, and football prior to wrestling, I don't see wrestling as an "unsafe" sport at all! I think I worried more about them when they were little and playing baseball than I did when my son decided to wrestle! (You know, not paying a whole lot of attention and getting hit in the head with a baseball, or being up at bat and getting hit.) I don't worry a bit about my son getting hurt on the mat. I'm not stupid enough to think it can't happen, but if a mom is that worried about it, don't go to the matches. Not knowing anything about wrestling going into the sport last year, I was surprised to see how exciting it actually is. My son is on a team who is just starting out, so it's really exciting to watch how the boys have improved from last year and watch the "newbies" get out there and learn the sport.

The one thing I don't like about the sport: the waiting. But, I guess it's the nature of the beast and part of the sport. I always take a book with me! :thumb:

Edited by aliastn

here are some stats I've found.

http://www.ncaa.org/news/2000/20000731/active/3716n19.html

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/features/hea...th_sports.shtml

Wrestling isn't even listed on the second link. The first link is the official ncaa stats. you will notice two deaths from wrestling indirect, that was two guys taking supplements that required water, and they dehydrated themselves and died. Now the wrestling community has issued the weight loss guides which prevents such things from happenning.

I also use these stats to recruit other sport athletes when they say they are affriad to get hurt.