WILL HUMBOLDT GO ALL THE WAY?

dollar1906

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very possible....I think that teams coming out of that district will be battle-tested come time for region, sub-state, and state tourney....As of now, Union City, Middleton, Humboldt, and Lake County have to be looked at as the powerhouses in West Tn...and I'm willing to bet that one of those teams will be playing in the championship game come March...

Do you guys think that Humboldt has the strength to go all the way???

I think Humboldt has a very talented team and could end up in Murfreesboro come March. Humboldt hasn't really played any tough teams yet (winning by an average of 30 the last couple of games against district foes). After Christmas we will really find out how good the Vikings are when they face off against district foes Union City and Lake County. If they can get pass those two teams in convincing fashion then theres no question that they can go all the way!!

It's very possible....I think that teams coming out of that district will be battle-tested come time for region, sub-state, and state tourney....As of now, Union City, Middleton, Humboldt, and Lake County have to be looked at as the powerhouses in West Tn...and I'm willing to bet that one of those teams will be playing in the championship game come March...

I agree. Humbolt is an extremely talanted team and has the potential to go far. And I also agree about the teams you just mentioned. I think those teams are probably the strongest single a teams in West Tennessee!!

Another thing to take into consideration is how you play come tournament time...I know that Union City had a great team during the season, but they were put out early in the tournaments. Humboldt on the other hand...had an average season, but once the tournaments came along, they became one of the best teams in the state blowing out Liberty in district tourney, beating Lexington in convincing fashion, and beating Giles Co. w/ Tyler Smith in overtime AT Giles Co in the sub-state...only teams that they lost to during the entire postseason were Bolivar and Raleigh-Egypt, which played each other in the championship...Bolivar is the ultimate tournament team, which is why I'm glad Humboldt is in 1A now...and with the leader from last year's team back for his senior season (Toylon Smith 5'10 G), along with Kelsey Rose (having a breakout year), a transfer from Liberty who is becoming quite a player standing at 6'5....along with these guys are many, many role players who on their own can have big games but normally contribute in other ways...if these guys can keep it together, and continue to mature, they're going to be tough to beat, regardless of the opponent...as of now they're 9-0 with Gleason Tuesday night...saying they win that game, they'll head into Christmas tournaments at 10-0...and if you haven't seen them play, then show up at the Gibson Co. Christmas Tournament which is being held at Trenton High School this year to witness a great performance and enviroment.

Who all has Humboldt played? I read on another post in this topic that Humboldt hasn't played any good quality teams? Who has been the toughest team that they have played so far this year?

You're right...Humboldt honestly hasn't played any REAL competition...I mean, Trenton wasn't that great but they seem to be giving other teams trouble...Crockett Co. was decent...and Halls played us somewhat tough...but still...we haven't won by any less than 10 all season...so we're winning them like we're supposed to...and I believe when we play tougher competition, we'll rise to the occassion...but it's all speculation at this point...we'll just have to see here in about a month.

Humboldt and Union City should go deep into post season play since the tssaa in all their wisdom gave them unfair advantage over other district foes for the near future! want proof ? check the numbers and try to explain the discrepancies in the ratios and the obvious edge these schools were awarded in this 10 team district !

Dist 14a pop. sch. enrollment

Gleason 1452 207

Bradford 1113 176

Greenfield 2133 161 (city pop. from epodunk.com)

Tiptonville 2439 224 ( school enrollment from tssaa.org)

Halls 2291 361

So. Fulton 2800 288

Trenton 4700 428

Dresden 2755 384

Union City 10800 442

Humboldt 9339 534

Does this appear to be a level playing field ? I think not ! If the Vikings or Tornadoes lose in district play to anyone but each other it will surprise me .

There is strength in numbers unless you have good players transfer in to these small towns.(

Humboldt and Union City should go deep into post season play since the tssaa in all their wisdom gave them unfair advantage over other district foes for the near future! want proof ? check the numbers and try to explain the discrepancies in the ratios and the obvious edge these schools were awarded in this 10 team district !

Dist 14a pop. sch. enrollment

Gleason 1452 207

Bradford 1113 176

Greenfield 2133 161 (city pop. from epodunk.com)

Tiptonville 2439 224 ( school enrollment from tssaa.org)

Halls 2291 361

So. Fulton 2800 288

Trenton 4700 428

Dresden 2755 384

Union City 10800 442

Humboldt 9339 534

Does this appear to be a level playing field ? I think not ! If the Vikings or Tornadoes lose in district play to anyone but each other it will surprise me .

There is strength in numbers unless you have good players transfer in to these small towns.(

WOW! That is impressive! I heard someone saying that Union City was already about 75 over the limit. I don't know what can be done about it, but I know that they are not a single A school. I guess nothing can be done. Anyone will say that except Union City! Anyone can look at these numbers and see which schools don't belong in Single A. It is just common sense. Your right, no one should beat them in this district. Look at who all they play! The only teams that really have a chance at even getting close to beating them are Lake County, Halls, and Trenton. The rest of the teams don't even stand a chance. I think that you will agree with me on this, but do you think that Union City and Humboldt should be playing teams like Gleason, Bradford, Dresden, and South Fulton? I don't think so. I don't say anything about Humboldt though, because they don't get on here and brag about being in 1A and beating all these teams by these huge margins like the Union City people do. Why do you think that the Union City girls are so good and they have the best start since the 1920's. It's because they are playing these weak single A schools and they are used to getting blown out every night by 2AA schools. That is why they have such a good record. Below I want everyone to take a look at these game finals and tell me what is WRONG with this picture!

Humboldt District Games Union City District Games

Humboldt at 75 21 points Union City at 86 25 points

Trenton 54 Dresden 41

Dresden at 38 Bradford at 44 35 points

Humboldt 75 37 points Union City 79

Greenfield at 33 Union City at 70 23 points

Humboldt 63 30 points Lake County 47

Humboldt at 86 Gleason at 75 56 points

South Fulton 43 43 points Union City 19

Next Game Dec. 20 Next Game Dec. 20

Humboldt at probably 30-40 Trenton at should be a

Gleason point win Union City good game

Now you tell me that these two belong in 1A. Beating all these district teams by 20-40 points every time they play and sometimes 50. That was ridiculous when UC beat Gleason by 56 points. I know Gleason isn't that good, but that should tell you something right there. Both Humboldt and Union City are undefeated in the district. Don't get me wrong, both Union City and Humboldt are great teams and very athletic, but they just don't belong in 1A. I know someone from UC will reply to this and say quit making excuses and quit whining about us being in single A and so on, but I am just stating the facts and you know it. You should be real proud that you are killing these 1A teams, but look the teams that you have played that weren't 1A. The results weren't too good and they won't be as long as you play schools other than 1A. The only teams that you have beat are in 1A. That should also tell you something as well! I know everyone will agree with me, well except for the Union City folks of course! Just stating the facts, That's All!!

I don't know why it put all those scores so close together. I seperated them as I typed it. I will do it again so that you can read it a little better.

Union City District Games

Union City 86

Dresden 61 25 points

Bradford 44

Union City 79 35 points

Union City 70

Lake County 47 23 points

Gleason 19

Union City 75 56 points

Next Game Dec. 20

Trenton at

Union City should be a good game

Humboldt District Games

Humboldt 75

Trenton 54 21 points

Dresden 38

Humboldt 75 37 points

Greenfield 33

Humboldt 63 30 points

Humboldt 86

South Fulton 43 43 points

Next Game Dec. 20

Humboldt at

Gleason probably a 35-40 point

win, if not more

You should be real proud that you are killing these 1A teams, but look the teams that you have played that weren't 1A. The results weren't too good and they won't be as long as you play schools other than 1A. The only teams that you have beat are in 1A. That should also tell you something as well! I know everyone will agree with me, well except for the Union City folks of course! Just stating the facts, That's All!!

Just stating the facts? We have played three AA teams so far.... Gibson Co - beat them by 21, Crockett Co - beat them by 17, Milan (Dyersburg, which was AAA last year only beat them by 2) - beat them by 42. The only teams we have beat are not in 1A. It's hard to tell much from scrimmages, but we did beat Liberty by 1 in a pre-season scrimmage. Bolivar beat us by 1 this summer. We beat Middleton this summer without Rose and Sain. The games we beat people by a bunch, is because of our Sophomore and Freshman class which plays over 1/2 the game because the starters are sitting on the bench.

We're lucky enough to have a bunch of kids that love to play basketball. There's an old gym that's open everyday all year around where they can go play together anytime they want. They are used to playing with each other and know what each other's next move is. When kids have somewhere they can play all the time, tehy are going to be better than the kids that don't. There are also kids in our school not playing basketball that could be starting for most teams in our District. Not bragging, just a couple facts and opinions :angry: