2 Changes for HS Basketball in TN

dobber2368

So I guess pro football/basketball and collegiate football and basketball are just foolish and don't know what they are doing. I mean for them to have shot clocks is ridiculous. I guess 45 state high school athletic associations have it right but the rest of the world is wrong.

Pro and college football? Are you referring to a play clock? Are you relating that to a shot clock in basketball? Now THAT is ridiculous. A team could just stay in the huddle for the entire game and the defense could do nothing. Of course football needs a PLAY clock.

BUT, I think high school basketball is great the way it is. I would hate to see it changed. A shot clock would simply make it tougher for lesser talented teams to compete.

Edited by gicu812

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro and college football? Are you referring to a play clock? Are you relating that to a shot clock in basketball? Now THAT is ridiculous. A team could just stay in the huddle for the entire game and the defense could do nothing. Of course football needs a PLAY clock.

BUT, I think high school basketball is great the way it is. I would hate to see it changed. A shot clock would simply make it tougher for lesser talented teams to compete.

So let me get this straight....your saying a team could just stand in the huddle and run the clock out.....WOW Because that is really similar to what BASKETBALL teams can do without a shotclock...Oh yeah you can foul them and sacrifice points to get the ball back but more times than not a team isn't gonna turn the ball over so you do have to foul and give those points up.

So your telling me that lesser talented teams should be given a break because they aren't as skilled as others. Tell that to the talented teams...that your giving the other team a break because they aren't as talented as you guys are. Nice double standard there :P

How many High schools have clock keepers that struggle to just start and stop a regular score clock. Can you imagine a shot clock. And on top of that Refs are so unqualified and unable to get the rules correct they way that they are now, a shot clock would really screw with them.

No to memphis -- yes to Nashville

So let me get this straight....your saying a team could just stand in the huddle and run the clock out.....WOW Because that is really similar to what BASKETBALL teams can do without a shotclock...Oh yeah you can foul them and sacrifice points to get the ball back but more times than not a team isn't gonna turn the ball over so you do have to foul and give those points up.

So your telling me that lesser talented teams should be given a break because they aren't as skilled as others. Tell that to the talented teams...that your giving the other team a break because they aren't as talented as you guys are. Nice double standard there ;)

Obviously, all you care about is what can be done to help Siegel. This is high school we're talking about. Every team isn't full of talent. Heck, some teams don't even have one talented player. If we put a shot clock in, we may as well just kick those teams out of high school basketball. Why don't you think about what is best for high school basketball instead of just thinking about what is best for Siegel.

BTW, I don't care what kind of banner you have, if you let a team hold the ball on you for seven minutes then your defense stinks. That other team was also smarter than your team apparently because it's not easy to hold the ball for one minute against some good pressure defense, let alone seven. If a team gets up on you and your boys can put in the effort it takes to get the ball back then they don't deserve to win.

Shot clock no and Memphis no.

Edited by Dawg05

So your telling me that lesser talented teams should be given a break because they aren't as skilled as others. Tell that to the talented teams...that your giving the other team a break because they aren't as talented as you guys are. Nice double standard there ;)

Let's go all the way. Let's maximize the number of volleys' allowed in tennis. Who wants to sit and watch two guys slug it out on the baseline. Let's require football teams to pass it every play. It's boring to watch a team control the clock by running it all the time. In baseball, let's require pitchers to throw nothing but fastballs. Those less talented guys that can't rip in at 90+mph just slow down things with all those boring curves and changeups.

My point is, my dear slow witted friend, is that patience is part of the game. Leaving the game as it is does not "give a break" to the less talented team. Putting in a shot clock does give a break, to the to better teams. Leave the game alone. It is the best game going.

I've seen a team hold the ball for 7 minutes straight during a 3rd quarter because they knew that if the other team got the ball they would run away with it. So they decided to hold it and try to make one run at it and get lucky. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed. I've seen a team hold the ball for the final 3 minutes of a game after they were down the whole game and as soon as they got the lead they just held it. It's not basketball A shot clock is needed.

Basketball has many facets. Dribbling and passing is just as much part of the game as shooting and running up and down the floor. Also, being patient is a quality all teams should have. Give the little guy a chance and make the fat cats sweat. It they are so good, they will prevail anyway. That is my take. ;)

Obviously, all you care about is what can be done to help Siegel. This is high school we're talking about. Every team isn't full of talent. Heck, some teams don't even have one talented player. If we put a shot clock in, we may as well just kick those teams out of high school basketball. Why don't you think about what is best for high school basketball instead of just thinking about what is best for Siegel.

It might interest you to know that one of the situations I named happened to be Oakland vs. Blackman in 2002. I was a student at Blackman but still didn't like the fact of no shot clock. For the record, Blackman won that game too.

and Gicu...that has to be one of my most contradictory statements ever. No shot clock doesn't give a break but a shot clock does give a break to more talented teams???? One can reasonably infer here by most statements, that since a shot clock helps more talented teams and hurts the lesser talented teams, that no shot clock is beneficial to lesser talented teams. So tell me what exactly do you qualify as a "break"? Since people have come on here and said that no shot clock gives the little guys a chance. If it would hurt a team when they put a shotclock in then it is obviously HELPING them by not having one.

and the reason No to Nashville/GEC/Vandy is they can't even fill up Murphy Center...no reason to waste money renting the GEC for this.

Edited by Harris' hooligans

It might interest you to know that one of the situations I named happened to be Oakland vs. Blackman in 2002. I was a student at Blackman but still didn't like the fact of no shot clock. For the record, Blackman won that game too.

and Gicu...that has to be one of my most contradictory statements ever. No shot clock doesn't give a break but a shot clock does give a break to more talented teams???? One can reasonably infer here by most statements, that since a shot clock helps more talented teams and hurts the lesser talented teams, that no shot clock is beneficial to lesser talented teams.

You're just not paying attention, are you? What I am saying is:

"leave the game alone!"

It is fair to all as it is. Don't change the rules because Blackman beat Oakland your freshman year. What part of that could you possibly not understand?