Grace v. Temple

huge win for grace. down 6 with 4 minutes to go. i expected them to fold and they did not. i also think skogen was the best player on the floor. grace was trying to throw the ball in and i believe it was smith who just dribbled the ball. i do not believe i have ever seen anyone do that at any age at any level and it came at a crucial time in the game. van horn kept the eagles in it in the third and early 4th quarter which allowed the heroic 3 by eldridge to send it into overtime. i also noticed that mcmasters basically scored zippo from the field. i feel that the craziest coaching move is playing any type of defense where my 6-10 guy is out defending at the arc. also it is great that occasionally he can hit a three he should never leave the post area on offense. instead of a three what about a drop step power move to the hoop? never seen 6-10 wasted more then mcmasters is in the scheme being used at grace this year. in a blow out fine, close games let him be a big man. i think that long term and deep into the postseason this will hurt them. it is not a sin to play a zone defense, but it has seemed that way for the three years i have watched them play.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was another exciting game on the campus of Tn. Temple Univ.

This had to be one of best games in the state on Friday night.

What a great atmosphere for high school basketball. Over 2,000 fans!

Temple fell short once again but they have no reason to hang their heads.

On paper Grace should beat the Crusaders with no problem, but Temple has once again shown that they are a team to reckon with. Even though Temple has lost the last two games I think they will be the "cream" that comes to the top in the end.

I believe Temple just needs to be a bit more patient and not try to rush things on offense. Run the plays and take the open shots. If covered, dish it off to the open man. Block out and crash the boards.

And what was up with the above the rim rebound by McMasters after the free throw? Was that not goaltending? The ball was above the cylinder and Carter just goes up and takes it before the ball goes through the hoop!! How in the world could the ref miss that one?

But anyway, great game and I'm already looking forward to Grace vs Temple III.

I agree about Grace's coaching. No offense to any Temple fans on here, but Grace's coaching allows Temple to keep these games way too close. Grace runs NO offense, and I am sure it kills a good coach like Wadley to lose to a team that refuses to even set a play. Grace is wasting McMasters in the middle. Why does he start at the free throw line on offense? They completely keep him from hitting the offensive boards or posting up. Although, even if he did post up, it seems his teammates (except the Van Horn kid) would not even give him the ball. It amazes me that they keep winning forcing up as many bad shots as they do. However, they are talented, and McMasters is a player. It is a tossup as to whether Skogen or Van Horn was the best player on the floor. I think Van Horn pretty much carried Grace down the stretch, he is a player! Skogen hits some tough shots too.

I'm still waiting to see what all the hype is about the 6'10 kid from Grace.

Sure he blocked a couple of shots on fellas about a foot shorter than him and grabbed several rebounds, but I've not really seen much else out of the kid.

I think Josh Smith did another great job on defending him and holding him to only 1 point. Maybe that's why he's not getting the ball.

I kind of agree with Chattanooga about the big man playing too far outside, both on offense and defense. I understand Grace is probably doing this to free up the inside, but man - if I had a 6'10 guy I'd definitely get him the ball down low.

Easy on McMasters, he was like 0-2. He cant score 20 points when he shoots twice. He did have 12 rebounds and is a defensive presence. Remember, he is on a team with 6 seniors.

Good win for Grace. This will probably be Temples best shot to beat Grace. Temple was up 6 with 4 mins to go and Grace turned the ball over late, a lot. I am suprised Grace won with all of their late turnovers. But good teams find ways to win games even when you dont play good.

Also people who come to watch these games you are not going to see 70 points put up by either team. These teams play each other SO MUCH they learn each other which means more D less offense.

Also, one heck of a turn out. 2,200+ thats probably the largest Grace vs Temple game ever. And I guess you could say the game wasnt a let down. What a shot by Eldridge, can you say clutch? People who are around Grace were expecting that to go in. If you have ever played the man in horse he makes crap like that all day long, its actually quite discouraging.

I understand that he plays with 6 seniors, but if I were one of those seniors I would realize that it is best for the team if he gets touches in the post.

Or, you could just do what it takes to win.

I think they've found out what it takes.

People who are around Grace were expecting that to go in. If you have ever played the man in horse he makes crap like that all day long, its actually quite discouraging.

Speak for yourself man, I crapped a brick.

I love you Davis.

Edited by Grace Golden Eagles

I understand that he plays with 6 seniors, but if I were one of those seniors I would realize that it is best for the team if he gets touches in the post.

I agree he probably does need to touch the ball more. When he gets it down low it almost always draws a double team which opens up alot of things for the Grace offense.