Lipscomb defeats Livingston Academy by 3

madisonsquaregarden

First let me give credit to two good teams on a hard fought game at Lipscomb. According to the radio announcer, both teams played pretty well and the game was pretty close throughout. I think LA led by 4 at the half and Lipscomb led by 2 at the end of the third quarter. But in the fourth quarter, Lipscomb began holding the ball with about 6 minutes left and they were ahead by 3 or 4.

The stall game worked pretty well. However, with a 1:38 left on the clock and Lipscomb had a 2 point lead, and it sounded like LA had momentum because DL used 2 timeouts to avoid 5 second calls and had made a couple of turnovers, the ref on the opposite side of the floor from the scorers table blew his whistle and call a TECHNICAL FOUL..................on Livingston Academy's COACH......................................for being OUT OF THE COACH'S BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT?!?!?!???!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!

The radio announcer said that both LA's and DL's coaches had been out of their respective boxes many, many times during the game. Furthermore, LA's coach was out of his box trying to switch his defense.....talking to his players........no where close to talking to an official. LA's coach, and everyone else, stood for minute wondering what the call was.

Lipscomb scored three points off of the technical, extending their lead to five. Guess what.....they won by THREE points.

Now, Lipscomb may very well have won the game without this hideous call, but this call took from LA any chance of winning this game! I know that officials don't have to warn a coach from being out of the coach's box, but they do all the time. LA's coach never got a warning and from what I can gather was never asked to get back or stay in the box.

LA, look at your film. If the radio announcer is correct that DL's coach was also out of his box at any time during the game........get the official's name and REPORT THIS! NO way should an official be able to decide how a game will end! If this isn't unsportsmanlike conduct, then I don't know what is!!!!!

By the way, LA had SIX charges called on them and the total fouls for the game were LA 26, DL 15.

Shame on this official. What's your problem with LA????????

LA........,pursue this. We have to start holding REFS accountable!!!!!!!!!!

You know, there are several problems I have with this thread...first of all, you are blaming the refs for making a call...a GOOD call...refs are not required to warn the coach before they slap them with a Technical Foul for being out of the box...second, you are blaming your loss on officials, which is never the cause for a win/loss...I understand where you are coming from, but what you are saying makes no sense because everything you are saying contradicts itself...and the last part of your post...quite possibly the most immature thing Ive ever read on CoachT...look, this happens to everybody, and besides, you should be happy, at least this wasn't a tournament game or you'd be sittin at home right now sayin what if...take your loss, go home, and quit blaming the refs for your loss...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, BluNWhiteH8Tribe. Nothing contradicts itself. Secondly..... The officials call all night were against Livingston Academy. I dont remember him calling anything against DL all game long. So whatever him and DL's coach had going on before the game must have been pretty good cuz he was all for DL winning. Also one more thing......you may have had the refs help to win this game.....but...........who has the 3A Football Trophy? huh? yeah LA still got u beat on that one hahahaha.

NO NAME CALLING!!!!!!

Edited by bigAsports

You know, there are several problems I have with this thread...first of all, you are blaming the refs for making a call...a GOOD call...refs are not required to warn the coach before they slap them with a Technical Foul for being out of the box...second, you are blaming your loss on officials, which is never the cause for a win/loss...I understand where you are coming from, but what you are saying makes no sense because everything you are saying contradicts itself...and the last part of your post...quite possibly the most immature thing Ive ever read on CoachT...look, this happens to everybody, and besides, you should be happy, at least this wasn't a tournament game or you'd be sittin at home right now sayin what if...take your loss, go home, and quit blaming the refs for your loss...

Hey Tribal Council, did you even read my post? I never said that LA lost because of the refs. never. I wrote that that one stupid call took LA's chance of winning from them, and it took their momentum from them. Name one thing I wrote that is contradictory. Do you think that call was a GOOD call? Really? Or just a legal call. I hope for the sake of the kids that play for your favorite team that some official doesn't try to control the outcome of one of their games that they've worked so hard to win. You, however, maybe need to endure it.

Another thing. LA took their loss, and came home safely. You say this happens to everyone, then I invite all the other schools who've had their coach get a TECH with :90 seconds left in the game when they're down by 2 because he stepped out of his coaches box to change defenses on the other end of the court. Oh, and the ref never warned that coach or even noticed until the opposing coach screamed it out to that same ref on the other side of the gym. All those people in this same situation tell us about it. Tribe knows you're out there. :ph34r:

LA was down by 2 when this happened. No time ran off the clock. From that point, LA outscored DL by 3. This raises the question, who would've won without this call? May have still been DL. Looks like it would've been LA. But the kids didn't really get to determine it.

Edited by madisonsquaregarden

I did not see or hear the game so my comment is just to vent about 'T's" in general. I wonder if when an offical wants to assess a T on a team if the rest of the zebra's could cuddle and make sure it is a correct call. They will do that on an out of bounds play why not for something that can change the entire game?

I did not see or hear the game so my comment is just to vent about 'T's" in general. I wonder if when an offical wants to assess a T on a team if the rest of the zebra's could cuddle and make sure it is a correct call. They will do that on an out of bounds play why not for something that can change the entire game?

That would be a good thing but it will never happen. Someone said that both coaches were out of the box all night looks like the REFS could have warned both benches early in the game instead of when they did.with out any notice.

When LA played Knox Fulton in week ten in football. Wade Ford was called for jumping off-side. A call that all but cost LA a HUGE win. Wade I was told said the ref told him that he had been doing it all night. Well why didn't he throw the flag when he first done it instead of waiting until it cost us the game.

Officiating is not a easy job by no means. But they should be held accountable to some extent. A ref can completely determine who wins or loses a game. Not saying that all refs would do that b/c I know there are good ones and bad ones. But anybody that would do that is about as low as you can get.

LET THE COACHES AND PLAYERS DETERMINE WHO WINS AND LOSES :ph34r:

Or as the old saying goes 'you get what you pay for'

Edited by Rocking Chair

First off, BluNWhiteH8Tribe. Nothing contradicts itself. Secondly..... The officials call all night were against Livingston Academy. I dont remember him calling anything against DL all game long. So whatever him and DL's coach had going on before the game must have been pretty good cuz he was all for DL winning. Also one more thing......you may have had the refs help to win this game.....but...........who has the 3A Football Trophy? huh? yeah LA still got u beat on that one hahahaha.

NO NAME CALLING!!!!!!

Actually, yeah, the post does contradict itself in my oppinion...secondly, Im not from DL so don't talk to me lik I am...third, last time I checked this was a basketball board, so who is in possession of the 3A Football Trophy is probably not a big concern of anyone on here, so for future reference, nobody probably cares who has the trophy :blink:

Hey Tribal Council, did you even read my post? I never said that LA lost because of the refs. never. I wrote that that one stupid call took LA's chance of winning from them, and it took their momentum from them. Name one thing I wrote that is contradictory. Do you think that call was a GOOD call? Really? Or just a legal call. I hope for the sake of the kids that play for your favorite team that some official doesn't try to control the outcome of one of their games that they've worked so hard to win. You, however, maybe need to endure it.

Another thing. LA took their loss, and came home safely. You say this happens to everyone, then I invite all the other schools who've had their coach get a TECH with :90 seconds left in the game when they're down by 2 because he stepped out of his coaches box to change defenses on the other end of the court. Oh, and the ref never warned that coach or even noticed until the opposing coach screamed it out to that same ref on the other side of the gym. All those people in this same situation tell us about it. Tribe knows you're out there. :D

LA was down by 2 when this happened. No time ran off the clock. From that point, LA outscored DL by 3. This raises the question, who would've won without this call? May have still been DL. Looks like it would've been LA. But the kids didn't really get to determine it.

Look dude, the way your post contradicted itself was by saying that the refs call was legal but it was a bad call...how can a legal call be a bad call??? I understand where you are comin from perfectly, many similar things like this have happened to my high school in close games...for instance, a few years ago, we were playing Austin-East at home and we were up by 2 with 1 second left and they shot a 3 and there was nobody around the dude and they called a foul on our point guard, who was on the other side of the floor away from everybody...they hit all three free throws and won by 1 since the clock expired...now while this doesn't sound as troublesome as your situation, it was because our team had worked very hard to win this game and then it seemed as if the refs had decided it for us...however, we realized that had we had a bigger lead and not been in that situation, we wouldn't have lost...and seriously, theres no need to get bent outta shape cuz I said what I thought...its just an oppinion, and if you don't like what I have to say, dont read what I post...but whether you will admit it or not, I believe you know in your mind that had LA not been in that close a situation, if they had played better and had a bigger lead, they wouldn't have been in that situation...like it or not, refs are like that everywhere to the opposing team, at least, thats how its been in my experiences...you just have to accept it and do whats necessary to avoid having those calls make an impact...

Nice name there. Tell me, how long did you have to go to school to learn how to SPELL it? so worry about your own schedule. what, theres never been any homecooking in Smallville?

There's no cooking like home cooking. You should know LA has always had it. Many times we should have beat LA by 20 or more but the refs always seemed to keep it close.

H-O-G-E-Y-E... Big-Fat-T... D-L-Wins-By-3...

Easy, it's just a basketball game. I bet you are the first team to ever lose one and think it was the official's fault. I for one would prefer that you not take away from the effort that the DL players put forth on the court to earn a win by saying the refs were the reason that DL won. And before you say something else, congratulations again on the football championship.

First off whoever said DL was clearly the better team your crazy, people have already broke down the scores so I dont think I need to. Also, it did not seem like DL could handle the pressure that Livingston was offering toward the end of the game. So before we had a chance to tie the game, the worst ref I have ever seen, threw a big T on Coach Melton. Yes, during the game clearly both coaches were out of the box and there was very very skeptical calls on some of the LA players. There was plenty of times were LA post players went straight up and never moved but it still seemed to be a foul. I am a disgusted on how this game was called. As far as I am concerned the final score was LA-28 DL-13..like someone said we still got that one on you.

LA coach did not just step out of the box to change his defense. He came out of box on the prior trip down the court to protest a block call when the Slater kid from DL scored and was fouled. He was not overly vocal towards officials at all. Problem for him was he stayed out by scorers table. The official in question did motion for the coach to go back to the box as teams were going down the court. I do not think that he said anything; but, could not tell for sure as LA was going down the court fast. LA kid charged and it came back up court in short order. Coach was still pretty much in the same spot. After DL had stalled for a minute or more is when the ref T'd the coach up. He was still basically in the same spot by the scorers table. The coach was not being a pain to officials at all; it just looked like he got caught up in coaching and forgot where he was on the court. He was clearly trying to change up the defense. He simply had been where he was not supposed to be for too long.

LA should complain more about the charge on Matthews kid on prior trip down court. It was his fifth. It was one call in the game that was questionable.

It was a fun game to watch. Lots of speed from both teams. Majority of the game was essentially played with ten guards on the floor at a time.

H-O-G-E-Y-E... Big-Fat-T... D-L-Wins-By-3...

Easy, it's just a basketball game. I bet you are the first team to ever lose one and think it was the official's fault. I for one would prefer that you not take away from the effort that the DL players put forth on the court to earn a win by saying the refs were the reason that DL won. And before you say something else, congratulations again on the football championship.

Bomb thanks for the comment on LA's football championship. I'm sure the players appreciate that.

But the comment on losing the basketball game. I agree we LA fans shouldn't take it so hard,after all it's just a game. But if there was a bogus call do you really think that we should just except it ? And go on like nothing happened. !! I don't think so.

I'm not in any way downing Lipscomb and their tradition. They are without a doubt on of the most respected schools anywhere. And for LA to play them so close of a game is amazing to me. But should the game be decided by a bogus call??