Top 20 In 1A

ptguard12

Tops in 1A

1. Gleason (18-2) – The Lady Bulldogs continue to use their extremely fundamental style of play to dominate teams from all classifications out West. The girls from “Tator Town” ran into a little roadblock in the Dyersburg Christmas Tournament in the form of AA Austin-East (a favorite in that classification). However, since then, Gleason has rebounded to defeat every team they have played since then by 20+ points including Lake County by 24 last night. They will resume play this Friday against a much improved South Fulton team on Friday.

2. Jackson County (18-4) – Though they had some extremely close games over the past two weeks, there is no denying who is playing the toughest schedule in 1A. After defeating Red Boiling Springs by 22 last night, it is obvious that a #9 AP ranking is simply laughable. They’ll finish this week out hosting Monterey on Friday, which they will win very easily.

3. Red Boiling Springs (16-2) – These Lady Bulldogs were looking extremely impressive until running into a big blue wall known as Jackson County. RBS got absolutely exploited both inside and outside by the Lady Blue Devils in their 22 point loss to their new district rivals. On Friday, they’ll have a chance to get back on track when they host Clay County in a key district match-up.

4. Clarkrange (15-4) – The Lady Buffaloes struggled a little over Christmas break but considering who they played, you cannot really hold it against them. Ashley Howard has accepted the role as the go-to-player of choice for Coach Rogers thus far this season. He’ll need her and everyone else on the roster to step up if they plan on finishing this week with anything but 2 losses as they travel to AA powerhouse Upperman (19-1) on Friday before hosting the only team to defeat Upperman on Saturday, AAA Cumberland County (18-2).

5. Madison Academic Magnet (16-3) – This team was on a roll as they had won 11 straight since Thanksgiving, before running into Trinity Christian Academy last night. Their success should not be very surprising considering they boast one of the best coaches in 1A in Steve Patterson. They’ll finish out this week playing against a pretty decent Scotts Hill team on Friday and AAA Jackson Central-Merry on Saturday.

6. Oliver Springs (12-4) – After a tough loss to AAA Franklin County in the Mid-South Classic, the young Lady Cats have looked impressive. This team has yet to be really challenged in a pretty tough District 4A. They’ll round up this week with a game against Harriman on Friday, who presented Oliver Springs with a pretty good challenge in their first meeting earlier this year, in which the Lady Cats won by 9.

7. Collinwood (12-3) – To say that the play of the Trojanettes as of late has been surprising is an understatement. The girls in green, who are winners of 10 straight, continue to win ballgames despite having really only 2 main scorers in Abby Andrews and Leslie Daniels (scoring around 60% of the team’s total points). This Friday they’ll get a test when they host a strong Perry County who is looking to return Kristal Edney to the lineup.

8. Summertown (12-3) – The Lady Eagles were taken aback by an 11 point loss to an extremely hot Collinwood team. However, as Summertown usually does, they have rebounded defeating an extremely tough Wayne County team in Waynesboro in overtime. They’ll finish out this week looking to exact revenge against AA Lewis County, who defeated them back in November when they were without starters Emily Franks and Kayla Clark.

9. Union City (13-3) – The Lady Golden Tornadoes have yet to lose to a 1A team other then Gleason. However, the once dominate girls in purple and gold are not quite clicking like they were earlier in the year. This is a good week for them to get things back on track as they put away Halls by 20 last night and should get an easy win against Humboldt on Friday night.

10. Wayne County (14-4) – The Lady Cats have used a balance attack of strong guard play and tough inside play to keep them in contention in some extremely tough ballgames. However, Coach Byrd’s girls have yet to really find a way to win the close ones (overtime losses to both Perry County and Summertown). They’ll have to find a way to finish off close games if they expect to compete for District 12A and Region 6A championship come tournament time. On Friday, they’ll host Zion Academy in a game I suspect they’ll win by around 25+.

11. Trinity Christian Academy (15-3) – Yet, another team who really hasn’t played that tough of an early season schedule. However, defeating a very good Madison Academic Magnet team by 3 is impressive enough for me. Led by Freshman Cricket Glenn, if the Lady Lions can continue to play like they did last night against Madison Academic, then they should be making a sub-state appearance this year. They’ll finish this week with a District 15A game at Jackson Christian.

12. Perry County (11-5) – Fans of the Lady Vikings are counting the days to when last year’s Class A Miss Basketball Kristal Edney will hit the floor 100% healthy. Senior forward Alecia Weatherly has picked up all the slack that she can, now leading the Mid-State in scoring in 1A, with around 21 or 22 ppg. They’ll need all they can get from her and Edney (if she plays) to handle Collinwood on the Trojanettes home floor Friday night in a huge District 12A game.

13. Copper Basin (12-0) – It is hard to really determine just how good this team is. Yes, they are undefeated, but they haven’t played a team this year that is good (the best one they’ve played is Temple who is 5-4). However, winning 12 straight games without losing 1 all season deserves some recognition. They are a very Junior-laden team, as they have 8 11th graders to go with only 2 Seniors I believe. Last night, they defeated a winless David Brainerd Christian by 36. To finish the week, they’ll have Temple again on Thursday night in a district game and Silverdale on Friday.

14. Moore County (11-4) – Since starting their district schedule, Moore County has been on a tear, destroying teams in 11A by an average of 42.8 points! Now, with the return of McKenzie to the lineup, the Raiderettes are even stronger then before. Look for another dominating performance this Friday when they travel to Santa Fe.

15. Oneida (9-5) – The Lady Indians have had some struggles over the holiday season losing to such AAA powerhouses as Powell and Heritage and AA York Institute. They should get a good test from District 4A foe, Coalfield, on Friday night.

16. Westmoreland (13-3) – The Lady Eagles are winners of 8 straight since losing to Macon County by 3 in the 1st round of the Red Boiling Springs tournament (a loss that they have since avenged). Megan Perry leads a very balanced scoring attack with around 13.5 ppg. They’ll have to travel to Friendship Christian on Friday where they have had trouble in the past.

17. Coalfield (13-2) – For a team that returned everyone from last year’s state tournament team, the Lady Yellow Jackets have not quite dominated teams quite like one would expect. They play a pretty weak schedule, which could hurt them when they have to play Oneida on Friday who has played as tough a schedule as anyone in that district.

18. Greenfield (12-3) – The Lady Yellowjackets earned their 12th win of the season last night with a 5 point win over South Fulton, which equals the total number of wins the team had all last year. In terms of girls basketball, things in Greenfield are definitely on the up-and-up, and if they can find a way to finish 2nd in their district, then they have a real shot at a sub-state appearance.

19. Forrest (11-5) – Got absolutely dominated by Red Boiling Springs (who were without Leonard) as the Lady Bulldogs held the Lady Rockets two leading scorers to a combined 5 points. The girls of Chapel Hill are a good team; they just have to prove it against a high quality team. This week they have only one game on the 13th against 11A opponent Middle Tennessee Christian.

20. Cloudland (15-4) – The Lady Highlanders have looked real good over in East Tennessee losing to none of the 1A teams that they have played. However, the real test of their district schedule starts this Friday when they host Hampton (who is not as bad as their record would indicate) and continues to next Tuesday when they travel to Unaka, which is always a great game.

Since I have not been able to do a Top 10 for the past 2 weeks or so, I decided I would put my entire Top 20. 1 - 10 was very easy for me to do, but 11 - 20 took quite a bit of time and careful consideration. The original Top 10 will resume this coming Sunday. I hope you all enjoy.

Edited by ptguard12

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good poll, glad your back.

Question?

How strong is the Gleason hold on the #1 spot in your poll?

If Jackson County and Gleason played today what would the score be?(How many points better do you belive Gleason is than JC?)

Is the top two clearly the best two in the state?

Do you really belive RBS is better than Clarkrange?

thanks ahead of time ptguard12

Great job! You should be voting in the AP. however, i think you are now officially over qualified based on your knowledge.

quote name='ptguard12' date='Jan 12 2006 - 12:09 AM' post='825896250']

Tops in 1A

1. Gleason (18-2) – The Lady Bulldogs continue to use their extremely fundamental style of play to dominate teams from all classifications out West. The girls from “Tator Town” ran into a little roadblock in the Dyersburg Christmas Tournament in the form of AA Austin-East (a favorite in that classification). However, since then, Gleason has rebounded to defeat every team they have played since then by 20+ points including Lake County by 24 last night. They will resume play this Friday against a much improved South Fulton team on Friday.

2. Jackson County (18-4) – Though they had some extremely close games over the past two weeks, there is no denying who is playing the toughest schedule in 1A. After defeating Red Boiling Springs by 22 last night, it is obvious that a #9 AP ranking is simply laughable. They’ll finish this week out hosting Monterey on Friday, which they will win very easily.

3. Red Boiling Springs (16-2) – These Lady Bulldogs were looking extremely impressive until running into a big blue wall known as Jackson County. RBS got absolutely exploited both inside and outside by the Lady Blue Devils in their 22 point loss to their new district rivals. On Friday, they’ll have a chance to get back on track when they host Clay County in a key district match-up.

4. Clarkrange (15-4) – The Lady Buffaloes struggled a little over Christmas break but considering who they played, you cannot really hold it against them. Ashley Howard has accepted the role as the go-to-player of choice for Coach Rogers thus far this season. He’ll need her and everyone else on the roster to step up if they plan on finishing this week with anything but 2 losses as they travel to AA powerhouse Upperman (19-1) on Friday before hosting the only team to defeat Upperman on Saturday, AAA Cumberland County (18-2).

5. Madison Academic Magnet (16-3) – This team was on a roll as they had won 11 straight since Thanksgiving, before running into Trinity Christian Academy last night. Their success should not be very surprising considering they boast one of the best coaches in 1A in Steve Patterson. They’ll finish out this week playing against a pretty decent Scotts Hill team on Friday and AAA Jackson Central-Merry on Saturday.

6. Oliver Springs (12-4) – After a tough loss to AAA Franklin County in the Mid-South Classic, the young Lady Cats have looked impressive. This team has yet to be really challenged in a pretty tough District 4A. They’ll round up this week with a game against Harriman on Friday, who presented Oliver Springs with a pretty good challenge in their first meeting earlier this year, in which the Lady Cats won by 9.

7. Collinwood (12-3) – To say that the play of the Trojanettes as of late has been surprising is an understatement. The girls in green, who are winners of 10 straight, continue to win ballgames despite having really only 2 main scorers in Abby Andrews and Leslie Daniels (scoring around 60% of the team’s total points). This Friday they’ll get a test when they host a strong Perry County who is looking to return Kristal Edney to the lineup.

8. Summertown (12-3) – The Lady Eagles were taken aback by an 11 point loss to an extremely hot Collinwood team. However, as Summertown usually does, they have rebounded defeating an extremely tough Wayne County team in Waynesboro in overtime. They’ll finish out this week looking to exact revenge against AA Lewis County, who defeated them back in November when they were without starters Emily Franks and Kayla Clark.

9. Union City (13-3) – The Lady Golden Tornadoes have yet to lose to a 1A team other then Gleason. However, the once dominate girls in purple and gold are not quite clicking like they were earlier in the year. This is a good week for them to get things back on track as they put away Halls by 20 last night and should get an easy win against Humboldt on Friday night.

10. Wayne County (14-4) – The Lady Cats have used a balance attack of strong guard play and tough inside play to keep them in contention in some extremely tough ballgames. However, Coach Byrd’s girls have yet to really find a way to win the close ones (overtime losses to both Perry County and Summertown). They’ll have to find a way to finish off close games if they expect to compete for District 12A and Region 6A championship come tournament time. On Friday, they’ll host Zion Academy in a game I suspect they’ll win by around 25+.

11. Trinity Christian Academy (15-3) – Yet, another team who really hasn’t played that tough of an early season schedule. However, defeating a very good Madison Academic Magnet team by 3 is impressive enough for me. Led by Freshman Cricket Glenn, if the Lady Lions can continue to play like they did last night against Madison Academic, then they should be making a sub-state appearance this year. They’ll finish this week with a District 15A game at Jackson Christian.

12. Perry County (11-5) – Fans of the Lady Vikings are counting the days to when last year’s Class A Miss Basketball Kristal Edney will hit the floor 100% healthy. Senior forward Alecia Weatherly has picked up all the slack that she can, now leading the Mid-State in scoring in 1A, with around 21 or 22 ppg. They’ll need all they can get from her and Edney (if she plays) to handle Collinwood on the Trojanettes home floor Friday night in a huge District 12A game.

13. Copper Basin (12-0) – It is hard to really determine just how good this team is. Yes, they are undefeated, but they haven’t played a team this year that is good (the best one they’ve played is Temple who is 5-4). However, winning 12 straight games without losing 1 all season deserves some recognition. They are a very Junior-laden team, as they have 8 11th graders to go with only 2 Seniors I believe. Last night, they defeated a winless David Brainerd Christian by 36. To finish the week, they’ll have Temple again on Thursday night in a district game and Silverdale on Friday.

14. Moore County (11-4) – Since starting their district schedule, Moore County has been on a tear, destroying teams in 11A by an average of 42.8 points! Now, with the return of McKenzie to the lineup, the Raiderettes are even stronger then before. Look for another dominating performance this Friday when they travel to Santa Fe.

15. Oneida (9-5) – The Lady Indians have had some struggles over the holiday season losing to such AAA powerhouses as Powell and Heritage and AA York Institute. They should get a good test from District 4A foe, Coalfield, on Friday night.

16. Westmoreland (13-3) – The Lady Eagles are winners of 8 straight since losing to Macon County by 3 in the 1st round of the Red Boiling Springs tournament (a loss that they have since avenged). Megan Perry leads a very balanced scoring attack with around 13.5 ppg. They’ll have to travel to Friendship Christian on Friday where they have had trouble in the past.

17. Coalfield (13-2) – For a team that returned everyone from last year’s state tournament team, the Lady Yellow Jackets have not quite dominated teams quite like one would expect. They play a pretty weak schedule, which could hurt them when they have to play Oneida on Friday who has played as tough a schedule as anyone in that district.

18. Greenfield (12-3) – The Lady Yellowjackets earned their 12th win of the season last night with a 5 point win over South Fulton, which equals the total number of wins the team had all last year. In terms of girls basketball, things in Greenfield are definitely on the up-and-up, and if they can find a way to finish 2nd in their district, then they have a real shot at a sub-state appearance.

19. Forrest (11-5) – Got absolutely dominated by Red Boiling Springs (who were without Leonard) as the Lady Bulldogs held the Lady Rockets two leading scorers to a combined 5 points. The girls of Chapel Hill are a good team; they just have to prove it against a high quality team. This week they have only one game on the 13th against 11A opponent Middle Tennessee Christian.

20. Cloudland (15-4) – The Lady Highlanders have looked real good over in East Tennessee losing to none of the 1A teams that they have played. However, the real test of their district schedule starts this Friday when they host Hampton (who is not as bad as their record would indicate) and continues to next Tuesday when they travel to Unaka, which is always a great game.

Since I have not been able to do a Top 10 for the past 2 weeks or so, I decided I would put my entire Top 20. 1 - 10 was very easy for me to do, but 11 - 20 took quite a bit of time and careful consideration. The original Top 10 will resume this coming Sunday. I hope you all enjoy.

What? Jackson Co is in single A.....when did this happen? Oliver Springs also?

It is amazing, how many people are employed by the AP throughout the state, and no one is qualified to go check the TSSAA website for classifications!

I have certainly missed this weekly poll!!!!!

It looks good!

I can't wait to hear your answer on the above Gleason/Jackson Co question.

What? Jackson Co is in single A.....when did this happen? Oliver Springs also?

It is amazing, how many people are employed by the AP throughout the state, and no one is qualified to go check the TSSAA website for classifications!

I have certainly missed this weekly poll!!!!!

It looks good!

I can't wait to hear your answer on the above Gleason/Jackson Co question.

I have not seen Gleason play this year, so I can not say I dont think they are better. Beacuse I dont know if they are better than JC. I do know that Jackson County is really starting to roll, and if they are better than Jackson County, they must be one heck of a team. Gleason does not play the scedule that Jackson County does, now I know they have a big district to play in, and that is part of the ugly strength number, but Jackson County has played a brutal scedule. That fact has to give them some points despite thier 4 loses. 18 wins aginst 4 loses against that scedule, not many teams in the state could pull that off. I'm just curious to how good Gleason really is, and if they will get any better playing the teams they play.

Gleason is for real. Jackson County is for real It will be a great game, I just hope it happens some day. I'll be there if it happens. Hopefully on the second Saturday in March.

bob77,

Wescharge wont tell you this so I will. Gleason did beat Westview in a scrimmage and they did keep score. I know it was just a scrimmage. When you get these two teams finally together dont tell me that both teams dont want to win. So that ought to be enough to tell you Gleason is for real.

I have not seen Gleason play this year, so I can not say I dont think they are better. Beacuse I dont know if they are better than JC. I do know that Jackson County is really starting to roll, and if they are better than Jackson County, they must be one heck of a team. Gleason does not play the scedule that Jackson County does, now I know they have a big district to play in, and that is part of the ugly strength number, but Jackson County has played a brutal scedule. That fact has to give them some points despite thier 4 loses. 18 wins aginst 4 loses against that scedule, not many teams in the state could pull that off. I'm just curious to how good Gleason really is, and if they will get any better playing the teams they play.

Hey Bob.....(to make greenfieldfan happy) GLEASON BEAT WESTVIEW IN A SCRIMMAGE IN THE PRESEASON. AND THE SCOREBOARD WAS ON, AND I DIDN'T SEE GREENFIELDFAN AT THIS GAME!

Bob, go ahead and tell him about scrimmage games. I can remember scrimmaging Jackson Co 3 or 4 years ago, and would win some of those games. It seems to me that Westview could never win those games when they mattered!