Brandan Wright

nastysquad06

I'm an old school guy. I'm 45 years old. Penny Hardaway was the most talented. However, John Gunn was a 6' 9" center from the 1974 Memphis Melrose team which went undefeated and won the state in the last championship game played in Memphis. He played one year for Memphis State University and died of a rare blood disease in his second year. Had he lived I believe he would had been dubbed the best player ever. The most sucessful player from Tennessee was Bobby 'Bingo' Smith from Memphis Melrose, that is high school, college and NBA. B)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an old school guy. I'm 45 years old. Penny Hardaway was the most talented. However, John Gunn was a 6' 9" center from the 1974 Memphis Melrose team which went undefeated and won the state in the last championship game played in Memphis. He played one year for Memphis State University and died of a rare blood disease in his second year. Had he lived I believe he would had been dubbed the best player ever. The most sucessful player from Tennessee was Bobby 'Bingo' Smith from Memphis Melrose, that is high school, college and NBA. :D

Yes, I have heard about John Gunn as well from people back in the day who said he was great.

i kinda agree wit all of u..but i've seen Thad Young play numerous of times and he is good...Brandon Wright is good too but i say Thad is most def the best player to come out of TN..my rankings are as follows:

1. Thad Young- Mitchell

2. Willie Kemp

3. Wayne Chism

4. Brandon Wright

5. Brandon Powell

6. Jeremy Williams

7. Joseph Watkins

8. Andre Thornton

Memphis most def have sum of the best players

No Keith Ramsey, No Jimmy Oden, No Chassion Allen, No Barry Stewart, No DeQuan Twilley......Memphis must be tough as usual

BTW Penny Hardaway is the best ever in my opinion. I remember Tony Delk and Corey Johnson both put on great shows at the State Tourney though. The guy that mentioned Steve Hammer made me laugh though :D

No Keith Ramsey, No Jimmy Oden, No Chassion Allen, No Barry Stewart, No DeQuan Twilley......Memphis must be tough as usual

BTW Penny Hardaway is the best ever in my opinion. I remember Tony Delk and Corey Johnson both put on great shows at the State Tourney though. The guy that mentioned Steve Hammer made me laugh though :D

Penny played at Treadwell along with many others, Robbie Robinson (1977 coach's son), Hank McDowell, Andre Turner, Elliot Perry, and Cedric Gardner. I understand the error, I can't begin to say where all the great players from Nashville played except David Vaughn, Whites Creek and Brandon Wright.

Penny played at Treadwell along with many others, Robbie Robinson (1977 coach's son), Hank McDowell, Andre Turner, Elliot Perry, and Cedric Gardner. I understand the error, I can't begin to say where all the great players from Nashville played except David Vaughn, Whites Creek and Brandon Wright.

Opps, was his list an all time list or this years list? If his list was all time, he's insane.

Edited by randymc

It seems like everywhere I look in every magazine Brandan Wright's name is there. Out of all the players to come out of the state is he the best out of highschool? He is averaging close to a triple double every night. It seems like not only does he dominate on his highschool team but also on his aau team and at the all-american camps. Give me your opinion.

[/qu

he isnt the highest ranked player this year thad young is ranked higher then him on rivals

People are forgetting Donte Jones from Stratford ... while he never graduated from there he had the size at 6'7 230 to post you up one trip down the court, the leaping abilty to dunk the next time, the shooting touch to drain a 15-20 ft jumper on the next trip, and then the range to decide to pull up from about 35 ft and hit nothing but net ..

1. Donte Jones

2. Penny Hardaway

3. Ron Mercer

4. Todd Day

5. Brandan Wright

People are forgetting Donte Jones from Stratford ... while he never graduated from there he had the size at 6'7 230 to post you up one trip down the court, the leaping abilty to dunk the next time, the shooting touch to drain a 15-20 ft jumper on the next trip, and then the range to decide to pull up from about 35 ft and hit nothing but net ..

1. Donte Jones

2. Penny Hardaway

3. Ron Mercer

4. Todd Day

5. Brandan Wright

Ah, Dontae's a GOOD friend of mine. Would put him a little farther down the list though.