Scott CO.

knight2

I seen that Kingston beat the lady Highlanders soundly tonight. I also heard that several of Scott Co. players quit the team this week is this true ? What seems to be the problem at this school? is it the new Coach or Players or Parents. or all of the above. All I heard over the summer is that now in Scott co. the girls would have 2 good programs to choose from. Kingston is at the bottom of this district and they have beaten Scott co. 2 times now

When is the last time that Scott and Oneida played each other?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seen that Kingston beat the lady Highlanders soundly tonight. I also heard that several of Scott Co. players quit the team this week is this true ? What seems to be the problem at this school? is it the new Coach or Players or Parents. or all of the above. All I heard over the summer is that now in Scott co. the girls would have 2 good programs to choose from. Kingston is at the bottom of this district and they have beaten Scott co. 2 times now

I don't know if you were at the game or not, but the score dosen't reflect the entire game. The first half was an excellent game. The second half was a different story. It wasn't what Kingston did to change the game, it was how Scott played that changed the game.

It was an emotional game for the players because there were players that quit this week. It was a sad thing that happened because there were a couple players that left that could help the team.

When you ask the question "whats the problem", it's a little of all of the above.

First of all you have a new coach that is trying to rebuild a program that has not been competitive for a long time in their district ( Its been 7 years since Scott High girls have won a district game). The coach however, is willing to do whatever it takes to turn it around.

There are some parents that don't agree with the girls he has chosen to play because their daughters are not playing most of the game. They talk alot about their opinion to other parents and in front of their girls. I think this could only have a negative effect on these players and this team.

Patience is what it is going to take for players, parents, fans, and coaches to get through this and turn the program around. If the effort is there, playing time will come. Parents, please support these girls and coaches. They need our support instead of our CRITICISM.

As for the comment on two good programs to choose form, there will be if we will all do what I have said above. By the way, according to CoachT site, Kingston is 4 & 1 in the district.

Edited by coltsfan

Scott High has many talented players, but they also have many players that think they should play every minute of every game. In the past most of them have gotten a whole lot of playing time. Coach Marcum hasn't played some of them much and they decided that they didn't deserve not to play, so they quit. But the Highlanders game was good tonight. They looked really good in the first half, but i think the reason they stopped doing good was because they have not yet recovered from the loss of their teammates.

Edited by deerhunter101

Scott County needs to be patient with Coach Marcum at the helm. He will turn this program around. As for the girls who quit, it's too bad but it's probably for the best in the long run. Their parents and therefore their daughters would have never been happy with being role players for the future.....

New coaches bring change and change is risky. It means leaving where you are and not coming back. It requires mental and physical stamina, courage and even at times distress. In having a successful team, attitude can be everything. When teams win usually you congratulate yourself and assume it has something to do with your rare qualities as a person. Losing on the other hand, really says something about who you are: do you blame others, do you own the loss, do you analyze your failures, or do you place fault with the coach.

Coach Marcum wants to instill a tradition of excellence at Scott High by promoting pride for their team, loyality, and a willingness to go well beyond what is required of them to be the best that they can be. It seems as though several players and parents were unwilling to buy into his philosophy. I know that he has what it takes to build a successful program, and encourage others to build a fan base that helps the players strive for a spirit of greatness.

First, I'm from Kingston. Here's the way the district stands as of Friday:

Loudon

Anderson Co.

Kingston

CAK

Catholic

Scott Co.

Second, the first half of the game Friday night was very close. I believe Scott was actually leading at the half. However, the difference in the two halfs was simply turnovers. In the first half, both teams turned the ball over so many times, its a wonder either team scored at all. Kingston reduced their turnovers in the second half and that was the difference. They actually out scored Scott 17-2 in the 4th qtr.

As for Coach M and the girls that evidently quit. Good for the Coach!! Now maybe he can work with the girls that are still there. I dont know who the girls were that played Friday night, but they put forth the kind of effort it takes to win. Give Marcum some time to develop these girls and I'll bet you'll be pleasantly surprised. Marcum coached my daughter this summer and I got to see what he was teaching, believe me, he's one of the better coaches around. Support him and Scott County will be ok in a couple years.

I don't know if you were at the game or not, but the score dosen't reflect the entire game. The first half was an excellent game. The second half was a different story. It wasn't what Kingston did to change the game, it was how Scott played that changed the game.

It was an emotional game for the players because there were players that quit this week. It was a sad thing that happened because there were a couple players that left that could help the team.

When you ask the question "whats the problem", it's a little of all of the above.

First of all you have a new coach that is trying to rebuild a program that has not been competitive for a long time in their district ( Its been 7 years since Scott High girls have won a district game). The coach however, is willing to do whatever it takes to turn it around.

There are some parents that don't agree with the girls he has chosen to play because their daughters are not playing most of the game. They talk alot about their opinion to other parents and in front of their girls. I think this could only have a negative effect on these players and this team.

Patience is what it is going to take for players, parents, fans, and coaches to get through this and turn the program around. If the effort is there, playing time will come. Parents, please support these girls and coaches. They need our support instead of our CRITICISM.

As for the comment on two good programs to choose form, there will be if we will all do what I have said above. By the way, according to CoachT site, Kingston is 4 & 1 in the district.

coltsfan,

While I normally agree with your insight, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on the first half, second half comment.

Lets be realistic, first of all there are two halves for a reason. A poor shooting first half, or trouble with specific assignments, lead to second half adjustments, and give the Kingston staff credit, they made the necessary adjustments.

I will however say this, the lady landers are their own worse enemy at times, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS.

I hesitate to say this, but while people early in the year were speaking of how much better the girls were playing, I would simply reply that the style of play was different than last years team, and this years team would struggle win win as many as a year ago.

I will say this, keep Coach M, the last thing the ladies need is their third coach in as many years.

I personally think Coach Marcum is a heck of a coach. He'll get things turned around in a year or two. Hang in there coach.

Coach Kries was a good coach too but he only had one year to have a good season. Even if you have Phil Jackson u still couldn't have the best season in the district. Personaly, i think that Kries is a better coach than marcum but marcum is still a decent coach

coltsfan,

While I normally agree with your insight, I will have to respectfully disagree with you on the first half, second half comment.

Lets be realistic, first of all there are two halves for a reason. A poor shooting first half, or trouble with specific assignments, lead to second half adjustments, and give the Kingston staff credit, they made the necessary adjustments.

I will however say this, the lady landers are their own worse enemy at times, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS.

I hesitate to say this, but while people early in the year were speaking of how much better the girls were playing, I would simply reply that the style of play was different than last years team, and this years team would struggle win win as many as a year ago.

I will say this, keep Coach M, the last thing the ladies need is their third coach in as many years.

I don't want to take anything away from the Kingston staff.

The thing I'm talking about with that statement is the fact that Scott missed layup after layup and right under the basket shots early in the second half. And when that happend you could just see the confidence level of the team fade.

And I will agree with you on the number of games they would win this year. They lost four starting Seniors, and its been an emotional roller coaster for them over the last year. I had hopes they would win 8 to 10 games. Right now they'r at 5.

I have also talked to some people in Administration at Scott, and they say that Coach M's job is no where near in danger. They have intentions of giving him several years to try to build this program.

Hello to all, I am a new member on CoachT. I never really felt the need to post on here, but lately, the urge hit me.

I have been reading the post on SHS, and Coach Marcum. I have been really back in to watching the Lady Highlanders for about the past 8 years. I go to all the games and if I can't make it then I watch the replay on the local cable channels.

I was thrilled when I found out that Marcum was coming to SHS, because the man knows how to build a real good program. Rome wasn't built in a day you know!

Eddie Kries did a good job last year. But Marcum is the man you need to bring this program back into competition.

As far as the 6 girls quitting, there is an old saying. "A winner never quits and a quitter never wins" I hate that these girls quit because I don't like to see anyone quit something, but really only 2 of the 6 that quit will be missed. Whitney Strunk could hit the 3 ball and make things happen, and I really wanted to see Ashley Bee play but she has been sidelined for a while now with her knee. Ashley's freshman year the girl was very talented and you could except to see great things out of her in the future. But she tore her ACL and then has surgery and she hasn't gotten back to her level of playing that she had her freshman year. But other than those 2 what did we really lose?.....nothing the other girls that quit didn't really play much and if they did, didn't really do anything great.

Now Marcum has girls that want to play and are willing to stick it out, so best of luck to Coach and the Ladies that are left, be patient, your time is coming. Keep working hard, never give up, and GET A WINNING ATTITUDE!!!!!

GO LADY HIGHLANDERS

Hello to all, I am a new member on CoachT. I never really felt the need to post on here, but lately, the urge hit me.

I have been reading the post on SHS, and Coach Marcum. I have been really back in to watching the Lady Highlanders for about the past 8 years. I go to all the games and if I can't make it then I watch the replay on the local cable channels.

I was thrilled when I found out that Marcum was coming to SHS, because the man knows how to build a real good program. Rome wasn't built in a day you know!

Eddie Kries did a good job last year. But Marcum is the man you need to bring this program back into competition.

As far as the 6 girls quitting, there is an old saying. "A winner never quits and a quitter never wins" I hate that these girls quit because I don't like to see anyone quit something, but really only 2 of the 6 that quit will be missed. Whitney Strunk could hit the 3 ball and make things happen, and I really wanted to see Ashley Bee play but she has been sidelined for a while now with her knee. Ashley's freshman year the girl was very talented and you could except to see great things out of her in the future. But she tore her ACL and then has surgery and she hasn't gotten back to her level of playing that she had her freshman year. But other than those 2 what did we really lose?.....nothing the other girls that quit didn't really play much and if they did, didn't really do anything great.

Now Marcum has girls that want to play and are willing to stick it out, so best of luck to Coach and the Ladies that are left, be patient, your time is coming. Keep working hard, never give up, and GET A WINNING ATTITUDE!!!!!

GO LADY HIGHLANDERS

I usually stay quite and just read what others have to say, but I have two posts on this thread by merely correcting statements I feel are misrepresented.

For you to say that only two of the six will be missed, and to mention the two you mentioned just makes my head scratch. I am not sure you know alot about the overall concept of the game. Stop for a minute and look at the lack of post play this team has right now, and think about how losing Shelton and Jeffers, two fairly adequate post player will do for this team. Who provides post depth now? Wait until the 6-3 from CAK comes to town, these two provided the best match-up against her, so now what could have been a winable game at home against CAK will be a struggle.

Furthermore, Haley Watts was one of the more versatile players on the team, capable of playing 3 or 4 posistions, and should have been given more of an opportunity.

Megan Acres will also be missed, she was going to be a good player.

So, ladyhighlander fan think before you speak!

They will all be missed!