Why no respect for Catholic?

Flyguy2100

The classic case of Catholic not getting respect. I think the reason people can't stand them, is because they are a small private school and over the past 4 or 5 years they are probably in the top 5 in the Knoxville area and East Tennessee region in wins and winning percentage, and people can't stand it. Face it, they are a good team. They play TEAM ball unlike other teams (Bearden a.k.a. the Tony White, Jr. show). They have many role players that know their roles and execute their roles. That is why they are 15-2.

Your reasoning for all of this has no base...which is why Im about to rip this claim apart...Catholic plays, like its already been stated, the 90th toughest schedule in the state...that could be why they are 15-2...and the only reason they have been towards the top 5, as you said, is because they played D2 until this year, and there are not that many teams in D2, so its not hard to go far in that division...Catholic deserves NO respect until they beat some people...which I don't expect them to because they don't have anybody...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk about D2 like it's trash. Catholic played against 2 Division 1 recruits last year. (Johnathon Adams of Baylor who signed with ODU and Brandon Wright of Brentwood Academy who is going to North Carolina). Brentwood is the best team in the state hands down until someone beats them. Catholic hung with them last year for 3 and a half quarters playing the same kind of ball they do this year. The way they play works whether anyone likes it or not. The only reason they lost last year was because they ran out of gas. The same team is basically playing this year, minus Connor. They deserve respect. And Catholic tires to play the harder teams around the area but they won't play them. A-E won't play and Bearden won't either.

You talk about D2 like it's trash. Catholic played against 2 Division 1 recruits last year. (Johnathon Adams of Baylor who signed with ODU and Brandon Wright of <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> who is going to North Carolina). Brentwood is the best team in the state hands down until someone beats them. Catholic hung with them last year for 3 and a half quarters playing the same kind of ball they do this year. The way they play works whether anyone likes it or not. The only reason they lost last year was because they ran out of gas. The same team is basically playing this year, minus Connor. They deserve respect. And Catholic tires to play the harder teams around the area but they won't play them. A-E won't play and Bearden won't either.

I never said D2 was trash, but there aren't that many good teams in D2 other then Brentwood Academy...and I highly doubt Austin-East or Bearden would deny Catholic a chance to play them...so you're going to have to show some proof for that claim...

Yeah, Ive been to watch almost every team worth watching on this side of the state...so I have a say in this...and MC is not the greatest team ever, but they would certainly beat Catholic because, for one, they are more talented, and two, Catholic plays one of the weakest schedules in the state...lol, however, I can take comfort in the fact that I have a greater knowledge of basketball then you though...so, tell me what you wish to talk about...

Greater knowledge??? I played for one of the most respected strategists in college basketball. I've got an SEC championship ring to wear, you're probably still wearing your MC letter jacket, if you even lettered. I've probably have 7-8 AAU State Titles on my resume along with 4 top 5 National Titles in AAU. I've coached a NCAA Regional MVP who played for the Celtics along with 8-10 AAU All-Americans. Have you had any offers to be an assistant coach in college? To really tick you off, I've coached better players from MC than Beau (Julie Aderholt - Cl emson). She at least had a FG%, 3pt%, and FT% that registered on the PrepXtra stats.

You still haven't answered my question about comparing Bearden (92 ranked) schedule vs. MC (64 ranked). WHICH IS TOUGHER, honestly??????

Edited by IrishBBall

Greater knowledge??? I played for one of the most respected strategists in college basketball. I've got an SEC championship ring to wear, you're probably still wearing your MC letter jacket, if you even lettered. I've probably have 7-8 AAU State Titles on my resume along with 4 top 5 National Titles in AAU. I've coached a NCAA Regional MVP who played for the Celtics along with 8-10 AAU All-Americans. Have you had any offers to be an assistant coach in college? To really tick you off, I've coached better players from MC than Beau (Julie Aderholt - Cl emson). She at least had a FG%, 3pt%, and FT% that registered on the PrepXtra stats.

You still haven't answered my question about comparing Bearden (92 ranked) schedule vs. MC (64 ranked). WHICH IS TOUGHER, honestly??????

First of all, I never said I had a greater knowledge then you...I have been told all about you and your very extensive resume...and for what its worth, I have a high respect for you due to what you have accomplished...however, lol, I do have an MC lettermen jacket but I never wear it...I was saying I had a greater knowledge then the dude that told me to come watch the games and then comment...because he seemed to know nothing of what he spoke...and here is an answer to your question...statistically, with the things Bearden is doing and if you look at it on paper, MC is much tougher...however, Bearden does play some teams that have historically been tough, although they are down this year...I believe it is about equal as far as toughness, though the numbers will stack heavily in favor of MC...11 of the teams Bearden plays don't even have winning records...only 7 of the teams MC plays don't have winning records...however, Bearden plays a few more teams as well, so that debate could go either way...I believe this could really go either way as far as who's schedule is tougher, but having seen Bearden and MC both play, I strongly believe MC plays a slightly tougher schedule because teams they were playing at the beginning of the year have vastly improved and Central has a very tough game coming up tuesday night against McMinn County...McMinn is pretty tough, they could hang, perhaps even beat, any team in this area...however, I answered your question and now I await your thoughts on this...

Good answers. Again I wish Bearden wouldn't have stacked the Super 16 brackets like they did. It would have been a good matchup with MC. I don't think Bearden would have rattled under your full court press like Farragut. They are stronger offensively than Fulton which put up big numbers against MC. I thought you were questioning my bball knowledge.

The lack of respect thing for Catholic goes back much farther than just this year. We have tried for years to schedule more of the local teams but they really have refused to play us I think because 1) they percieved we were out here recruiting 2) they had nothing to gain if they beat us and 3) supposedly it was suggested that they play other Knox County teams to keep the $ in their school system. Again in the past few years we've beaten Farragut, Powell, Baylor, Alcoa, McCallie, Notre Dame, Unaka.We're 84-20 over the last for years with 5 of those losses coming to Brentwood, which, by the way, we added to our schedule. We never met them in the tourney. Remember we only have about 500 kids in our whole school. Not that summer team camp or fall league means much but we've beaten William Blount, Maryville, Halls also.

I find me and you agree and somethin new everyday, Irish...I agree whole-heartedly with you on the fact that the brackets were stacked in favor of Bearden...while they will argue Cleveland is a good team, Cleveland is down since recent years...they had one player doin it for them against Bearden, Alex Goldston, but it was soon visible that he was quickly becoming winded from doing it for them...and I believe MC and Bearden would have been a great matchup, however, I believe Bearden wouldve won simply because MC played their worst basketball of the year in that tournament...I believe now, however, it would be almost a draw...but I will take your word for it on the scheduling issue...

Ok, so that means what???

You are insane! You just argued that KCHS schedule is weak, and when Bearden's schedule is listed as being LOWER than Catholic you say it don't mean much. CoachT ranks schedules, he lives in middle Tn. He doesn't know about or see the teams any of these schools play. Both teams play a hard schedule, and it's amazing how teams they play have a stronger strength of schedule because of them! KCHS and Bearden are pretty good basketball teams, if you have problem with that get over it. McMinn Central's schedule is not all that good tough.

Edited by ScottA11

Bert Bertelkamp former Vol and Vol basketball announcer came to watch Matt Parton in the Catholic 37-35 win. He set with Matt's Dad. I guess he doesn't think Matt is garbage especially as Matt hit the 3 to win the game. :thumb:

Bert was also saying that Lee Humphrey of Florida cant shoot in the broadcast Saturday night. Therefore, I hold no merit in what this guy says.

Parton can play, I just think he would be better going to a d 2 or 3 and playing instead of chancing it as a walk on at D1.

Bert was also saying that Lee Humphrey of Florida cant shoot in the broadcast Saturday night. Therefore, I hold no merit in what this guy says.

I was at the TN/FL game so I didn't hear Bert's comment, but Lee was 1-5 on the night and 1-4 from 3pt in the game.

I watched Lee play a number of games in high school and he CAN shoot much better than he showed in that game. I wish he was wearing an orange jersey, but he's not and I will always pull for him as a player.

You are insane! You just argued that KCHS schedule is weak, and when Bearden's schedule is listed as being LOWER than Catholic you say it don't mean much. CoachT ranks schedules, he lives in middle Tn. He doesn't know about or see the teams any of these schools play. Both teams play a hard schedule, and it's amazing how teams they play have a stronger strength of schedule because of them! KCHS and Bearden are pretty good basketball teams, if you have problem with that get over it. McMinn Central's schedule is not all that good tough.

Look dude, I just gave my thoughts on somethin...McMinn Central's schedule is not all that tough but I believe team for team Bearden and MC play about the same caliber talent...Catholic is just a notch below them, in my oppinion, as far as schedule strength...so don't call me insane just because I have a differing thought from you...

Parton can play, I just think he would be better going to a d 2 or 3 and playing instead of chancing it as a walk on at D1.

Yeah, Bertelkamp, I like the dude, hes a good announcer I think...however, I have seen Humphrey play many times and believe me when I tell you, he will knock it down in your face and think nothing else about it...so like you, I don't hold much merit in what he says...but I may take a trip and watch Parton play one day that way I can see what hes like...